945 Chip and 805 D Smith, will it go higher than 3.25 ghz?

I have an Asus 945g chipset and could only get the 805 D to 3.0 until I set the PCI Express Frequency to 110 and the PCI Clock Syncronization seting at 33.3 fixed. I was able to get to 3.25 after doing this.

That's with my CPU voltage set under max at 1.35. The max voltage on the 805 D is 1.4 (i can not go past 1.38 v unless I unlock or disable the CPU Internal Thermal Control.) Then the CPU temps can run wild for you. I guess the CPU voltage become infinite to some extent after disabling the thermal control. My rig runs hot when I do this.

I know a 955 chipset would get me past 3.3 mgz's and a 975 chipset would be better, but is there a way to get higher than 3.25 with the 945g chipset. Thanks.

My backup rig:

Pentium D 805 Smithfield (3.25 mgz. stable) 44 c idle, 57 c load)
ASUS P5LD2-VM Micro board (945G Chip) onboard graphics OCZ PC5400 667 mgz 512 x 4 gig. (runs higher than advertied 667 mgz.)
EVGA 7800 GT KO (470, 11000 mgz stock) great card! get one.
Coolermaster copper core heatsink and fan (hardly capable at high clocks) Does the job at low CPU volts. Need better than this cooler at higher CPU volts and mgz. speed.
WD 74 gig 10,000 rpm
Sony DVD-ROM
Pioneer DVD-R (111-D I believe)

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
chipset wont matter to much , with an ecs 945 i got to 3.8ghz after the vdroop mod, and 3.6 before.

You should be able to push past 1.4v with proper cooling, actually you should still be able to. the tm2 should not kick in till around 80° it all depends on how hot you want to run. I would check your v-droop , i think you should get little better speed with that voltage.

Looks like doing any modification alog the lines of v-droop are beyond my area of expertise.

Even if I set the Vcore voltage to 1.38 (which is max unless I unlock the Internal Thermal control) I can't get past 3.25 mgz without my system failing boot up. Right now I can set the FSB at 163/164 with the oter settings I have and I'm all right. Heat is not a problem until I disable the CPU Internal Thermal Control.

I like my rig the way it is, but it would be nice to get to 3.4/3.6 territory.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Keep in mind 3.25GHz is very nice already, that's the same as a D 840! No need to take too many risks if you're not too sure of yourself.

LOL you have as bad luck as me

P4 2600c maxed out at 3ghz
Celeron D maxed out at 3ghz
P4 2400b maxed out at 3ghz

i mean like wtf is my luck stoppin at 3ghz every time!??!

they are cooled to the max like no hsf heat cause of the ducts and veltilation.

now if this was an AMD or Conroe based system i wouldnt complain if EVERY chip hit 3ghz....

I have an Asus 945g chipset and could only get the 805 D to 3.0 until I set the PCI Express Frequency to 110 and the PCI Clock Syncronization seting at 33.3 fixed. I was able to get to 3.25 after doing this.

That's with my CPU voltage set under max at 1.35. The max voltage on the 805 D is 1.4 (i can not go past 1.38 v unless I unlock or disable the CPU Internal Thermal Control.) Then the CPU temps can run wild for you. I guess the CPU voltage become infinite to some extent after disabling the thermal control. My rig runs hot when I do this.

I know a 955 chipset would get me past 3.3 mgz's and a 975 chipset would be better, but is there a way to get higher than 3.25 with the 945g chipset. Thanks.

My backup rig:

Pentium D 805 Smithfield (3.25 mgz. stable) 44 c idle, 57 c load)
ASUS P5LD2-VM Micro board (945G Chip) onboard graphics OCZ PC5400 667 mgz 512 x 4 gig. (runs higher than advertied 667 mgz.)
EVGA 7800 GT KO (470, 11000 mgz stock) great card! get one.
Coolermaster copper core heatsink and fan (hardly capable at high clocks) Does the job at low CPU volts. Need better than this cooler at higher CPU volts and mgz. speed.
WD 74 gig 10,000 rpm
Sony DVD-ROM
Pioneer DVD-R (111-D I believe)

Thanks. I was dissappointd to only get 3.0 mgz. (slightly less) at first out of the 804 D Smithfield. When you consider it is the same chip as a Perntium Extreme edition, I expected to get 3.6 or so. I really believe it's the ASUS micro board 945g chipset holding me bacl I have no heat issues at 3.25 mgz. with the Vcore at 1.38 Runs coooler at 1.35 v). I had to set the two PCI settings at 110, 33.3 locked to get from 2.97 to 3.25. I really believe this is the maxed out capability of this board. Again, heat is not stopping me from going higher at this point. It's the board, and I like ASUS much better than some of the others. I would buy another ASUS any day.

Absolutely, 3.25 is great and I am enjoying it. My AMD 4800 X2 SLI is running at 2.5 by just upping the FSB. I set my RAM at 250 mgz. (equals 500 mgz, PC4000) and it flys. This 808 Smithfield will give it a run for it's money (Hahahahaha!) at 3.25 for sure!

Thanks. I will go back and read the original article on TMH again and try further adjustments.

>> mean like wtf is my luck stoppin at 3ghz every time!??!

they are cooled to the max like no hsf heat cause of the ducts and veltilation. <<

Yeah, maybe the MB mfg's are sabatoging their boards to stop at 3.0 ghz. unless you insert another coin?

I have made a lot of settings to the CPU and RAM to get to 3.25 mgz. I've exchanged email messages with ASUS tech support and I should be giving them advice by now. I hate it when I have to email Taiwan or talk to India about my stuff. This is me on the phone with an Indian tech support guy named John Davidson (hahahaha!) "Ok, thanks so much...I'm going to hang up now and fix it myself...bye...ok?" LLOL!

I have everything installed in a Aspire X QPack micro case, thats why the ASUS micro board with the 945g chipset. I don't know of any micro board with a 955 or 975 chipset. I may buy a better board anyway and swap it out of the micro case.

The Aspire micro case comes with a 420 micro power supply. Took that out and put in (by no easy means) an Infinity 500w dual 12 volt rail SLI PSU. I think I qualify for the 9th wonder of the world fitting this PSU in that case.

I'm thinking maybe I shoud by an ASUS 975 ATX board and go from there? I have an Enermax 5305 (I think) sitting in the garage. Dual 12v and SLI ready. I'm running an ANTEC 550 SLI on MY AMD 4800 X2. I think the 500 Infinity should be efficent for the 805 D Smith? Whatta' 'ya think?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
If you want to go higher you will have to raise the vcore a bit. I'm rock solid (Prime95 for 72 hours) at 4.0Ghz with a vcore of 1.475 and an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro w/ Arctic Silver 5. I had to up the vcore from stock at about 3.3ghz also but from what I have seen, I got a lucky draw on the CPU since I idle at about 28c and load at 42-44c with a well ventilated case. (My house is pretty cool inside, PC is in the basement and it is currently 66 degrees F down here) I had problems getting stable past 3.7 until I added a higher CFM intake 120mm fan and used a little piece of Thermaltake ducting to direct some intake airflow on PWM/NB. Basically what I'm saying is that you are going to have to up the vcore if you want anything higher, and seeing Pentium D CPU 2.66Ghz @ 4.0Ghz in properties is worth it :) If you are worried about destroying the chip, dont. With good cooling (21.99 on newegg) you made your froogal processor purchase worth it. Isn't that why you got the CPU anyway? Bang for your buck? Good luck!

Thanks. I ordered an Artic Cooling Freezer Friday. I should get it tomorrow. I belive your ABIT board has either a 955 or 975 Intel chip. My ASUS board has a 945g and a southbridge that supports an onboard video chip. I think here in lies my problem at not going past 3.25 ghz.

At least I know if I get a new board (975 chip) I can bump up the Vcore to at least 1.475 with the Artic Freezer I'll have tomorrow! Thanks!

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I had no problem reaching 3.6 GHz with my D805 and P5LD2 (non-VM). The CPU will probably go higher but I don't want to turn up my Zalman 9500 much beyond 2000 RPM. I gave it a little more voltage for insurance but I have been dropping the voltage a little at a time to see how much (or little) is needed to maintain stability. I'm giving it about 1.36 volts at the moment which results in 44C idle temps, 70C both cores at 100% load.

The trick is to pay attention to the memory speed. A divider might be all that you need to get your system stable at a higher clockspeed. I use Corsair Value Select DDR2 533 (4-4-4-12) which runs better at 481 MHz DDR at 3-3-3-11 than it does at DDR 540 with the looser timing. The system feels a little more responsive with the tighter timing than it does with the greater bandwidth.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Like stated above the thermal control will not come into play until you hit the danger zone then t2 (termination voltage will be applied) thats your throttleing or modulation.
other factors come into play on your Oc experience.
Ram timings / frequency.
you can up the ram voltage depending on the value of the ram.
cheaper ddr2 runs at 1.8 volts and will run fine at 1.95 volts.
you still need a boost in vcore for stability.
your Oc so far isnt bad and no two systems clock the same.
dont worry so much about the vcore voltage . the temps are what counts as long as you are properly cooled the voltage can come up over 1.4 volts..
either way there is no guarantee youll get your 4 ghz .
I wish you the best of luck.

I'm using OCZ Gold Series PC5400 DDR 2 at 667 mgz. Currently, I get a lock up if I try and manuall set the speed at what I have available. I set the AUTO and with each bump in FSB the RAM speed goes up. Last I check the RAM speed was at 667 (333 x 2) in CPU ID. Sorry, I have forgotten the exact speed on the ASUS bios reading. Maybe this part of my cause for not going beyond 3.25 ghz. But, you have 667 mgz. RAM too. I know the Tom's article uses 800 mgz. RAM speed and that certainly comes into play in their article. I have my RAM volyage at 1.8 which is OCZ's rating on this RAM. Anyway, if I move away from the auto setting and choose one of the speeds available for RAM speed in my BIOS, I crash. Don't know? Probably have at least messed up the front grill about here? Hope my girlfriend don't notice.

Great advice. Thanks. I didn't realize the CPU Thermal control came into play at higher temps. When I disabled mine, I got a lot of heat! I think your on to something with the RAM timings. I have mine set a 4-4-4-8. The mfg. specs say 4-4-4-12. I was running at 667 mgz., but I couldn't get it off the auto set where RAM speed was concerned. At least that is the only RAM speed control I see on my ASUS board.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
57C is warm but no where near too hot for throttling.
I just got done with hl2 for awhile and my temps are a little high.
keep in mind the ambient temps in my apartment are 92 F

the ram timings are listed .but I usually run the frequency at 715mhz on cooler days with no issues.
any warmer I drop the vcore and fsb.