Non-Canon photo papers for PIXMA iP8500?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.

Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
store brands like Office Max photo paper?

I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
variety than, say, HP.

I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.

Help, Anyone?

BURT

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have a canon i960 (six color photo printer) and have had beautiful results
with Costco Kirkland photo glossy paper, 125 sheets @ $19. Epson glossy
photo paper does well with canon inks as well, and the Epson matte double
sided paper is quite good for greeting cards or anything else you want to
print double sided. The back side of the costco paper will not take ink at
all. The epson glossy photo paper has a very faint logo printed in a repeat
pattern on the back, non-glossy side. You can print both sides of this
paper and the logo printed on the back is so faint that most people don't
notice it. I have not liked Kodak paper for my Epson printer or the canon
i960, and there is no need for me to even consider it as the papers I have
mentioned above satisfy my printing needs.

"tomviolin" <rock_spambust_violin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>
> Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
> Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
> store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>
> I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
> variety than, say, HP.
>
> I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
> just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>
> Help, Anyone?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have tried Canon Photo Paper Pro, Surething, and Office Depot paper
printing the same professional photograph supplied by Adobe. Office
Depot was ok. Surething was good but the Canon Photo Paper Pro was just
superb. The Canon paper was like glass and the Surething should some
texture.

I also have but have not tried Costco Kirkland Glossy photo paper. I
have not spent any effort on determining who makes it but it is made in
Switzerland and Ilford has a plant there as well. It may be Ilford
Gallerie Paper. I hear it is good.

I also heard that people are having trouble with Kodak paper when using
Canon printers.

Burt wrote:

>I have a canon i960 (six color photo printer) and have had beautiful results
>with Costco Kirkland photo glossy paper, 125 sheets @ $19. Epson glossy
>photo paper does well with canon inks as well

While Canon Tech support claims that Canon Photo Paper Pro is superior
they too told me in writing that Epson Paper produces good results with
Canon Printers using OEM ink.

tomviolin wrote:

>I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>
>Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
>Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
>store brands like Office Max photo paper?

Do not use Kodak. Ilford it is said is good. People with Canon
printers have also used Costco/Kirkland made in Switzerland glossy.
That may be made by Ilford also located in Switzerland for some of its
production.

>I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
>variety than, say, HP.

While expensive, Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best I have seen so far.

>I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
>just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>
>Help, Anyone?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have been using the Ilford Gallerie purchased at my local Sam's Club
and it is excellent. I have a Canon i960 and a Pixma 3000 - but only
use the i960 for photos. I made some side by side comparisons and to my
eyes, the Ilford Gallerie is better than the Canon papers. I read about
it on one of these forums - but don't remember which one.

ssnazzy9 wrote:

>I have been using the Ilford Gallerie purchased at my local Sam's Club
>and it is excellent. I have a Canon i960 and a Pixma 3000 - but only
>use the i960 for photos. I made some side by side comparisons and to my
>eyes, the Ilford Gallerie is better than the Canon papers.

What Canon papers are you referring to. Canon Photo Paper Pro is their
top of the line. They also make a cheaper Photo Paper Plus.

>I read about
>it on one of these forums - but don't remember which one.
>
>"tomviolin" <rock_spambust_violin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>
>Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
>Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
>store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>
>I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
>variety than, say, HP.
>
>I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
>just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>
>Help, Anyone?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
> Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
> store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>
> I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
> variety than, say, HP.
>
> I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
> just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.

I've used Canon, Kodak, Fuji, and Folex paper with the Canon i850 and now
the IP5000.

Forget about Kodak - I tried one pack and have never used it since.

Canon paper gives great prints but as you said is expensive.
Fuji gave me prints close to Canon and was cheaper. I now print a lot of 6x4
as I now mount them in albums and have settled on Folex. I find their paper
gives excellent results and is a good balance between cost/quality. Once the
print is dry I spray them with Lysons 'Print Guard' which makes them water
resistant and give it some UV protection ( I held one test print under
running water, and it just beads and runs off. Dried it with a towel and
you'd never know it had been near water.)
I don't buy direct from them as I can get it cheaper from a re-seller (here
in the uk).

I'm not sure where you are but here is a link for Folex main site that tells
you all about the paper and what formets they do.

http://www.folex.com/

Hope this helps,

Patrick

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I've had good results using OfficeMax papers (both glossy and matte) on
a Pixma iP4000. Haven't tried Ilford.

Patrick wrote:

>>Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
>>Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
>>store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>>
>>I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
>>variety than, say, HP.
>>
>>I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
>>just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>>

>I've used Canon, Kodak, Fuji, and Folex paper with the Canon i850 and now
>the IP5000.
>
>Forget about Kodak - I tried one pack and have never used it since.
>
>Canon paper gives great prints but as you said is expensive.
>Fuji gave me prints close to Canon and was cheaper. I now print a lot of 6x4
>as I now mount them in albums and have settled on Folex. I find their paper
>gives excellent results and is a good balance between cost/quality. Once the
>print is dry I spray them with Lysons 'Print Guard' which makes them water
>resistant and give it some UV protection ( I held one test print under
>running water, and it just beads and runs off. Dried it with a towel and
>you'd never know it had been near water.)

Does Print Guard dull the gloss?

>I don't buy direct from them as I can get it cheaper from a re-seller (here
>in the uk).
>
>I'm not sure where you are but here is a link for Folex main site that tells
>you all about the paper and what formets they do.
>
>http://www.folex.com/
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Patrick

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

dry I spray them with Lysons 'Print Guard' which makes them water
> >resistant and give it some UV protection ( I held one test print under
> >running water, and it just beads and runs off. Dried it with a towel and
> >you'd never know it had been near water.)
> >

> Does Print Guard dull the gloss?

Not in the slightest

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I use the Hammermill Jetprint on my Pixma i8500. I think it is a little bit
better to the same as Canon Pro, and about half the price. I only use the
Canon inks (8 cartridges). The Jetprint is usually only available in 8.5x11,
which is perfect for me. Staples usually carries Jetprint.

Shoot well!

Rick (Saga 35) wrote:

>I use the Hammermill Jetprint on my Pixma i8500. I think it is a little bit
>better to the same as Canon Pro, and about half the price. I only use the
>Canon inks (8 cartridges). The Jetprint is usually only available in 8.5x11,
>which is perfect for me. Staples usually carries Jetprint.

First JetPrint 24# is not photo paper but inkjetpaper. I use it all of
the time but now I can't. I went to Office Depot and Staples and it was
not there. I then contacted International Paper, the parent company of
Hamermill. Unfortunately, they decided it was not selling enough and
discontinued. I went around with them telling them that it was by far
the best paper, the smoothest paper, and the brightest white. They
still discontinued it.

Maybe you might have bought the last of it. I wish I knew where to get
some of the left overs.

tomviolin wrote:
> I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>
> Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
> Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
> store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>
> I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
> variety than, say, HP.
>
> I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
> just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>
> Help, Anyone?

HP and Kodak paper do not work well with the fast Canon printers because the ink
doesn't get absorbed fast enough and pools as a result.

Ben

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:30:16 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate>
wrote:

>HP and Kodak paper do not work well with the fast Canon printers because the ink
>doesn't get absorbed fast enough and pools as a result.

How about Epson papers? I'm probably going to buy a Canon printer
when my old slow Epson finishes its current cartridges, and I'll have
some Epson Heavyweight Matte and a little Epson Glossy Photo left.

BURT

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

They work just fine in my Canon i960. Beautiful prints. You can also buy
Epson double sided matte for reasonably good two sided printing. Glossy
paper prints just have more color intensity and "snap"

"Jim Shaffer" <jmshaffer@alltel.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:30:16 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate>
> wrote:
>
>>HP and Kodak paper do not work well with the fast Canon printers because
>>the ink
>>doesn't get absorbed fast enough and pools as a result.
>
> How about Epson papers? I'm probably going to buy a Canon printer
> when my old slow Epson finishes its current cartridges, and I'll have
> some Epson Heavyweight Matte and a little Epson Glossy Photo left.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Canon Tech Support, in writing, said the while they feel Canon Photo
Paper Pro performs best they would also recommend Epson Glossy Photo
paper as well. They also said that HP and Kodak paper did not produce
good results.

Jim Shaffer wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:30:16 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate>
>wrote:
>

>>HP and Kodak paper do not work well with the fast Canon printers because the ink
>>doesn't get absorbed fast enough and pools as a result.
>>

>How about Epson papers? I'm probably going to buy a Canon printer
>when my old slow Epson finishes its current cartridges, and I'll have
>some Epson Heavyweight Matte and a little Epson Glossy Photo left.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Greetings Tom,

Kodak has created something called One Touch. This feature is incorporated
into the Kodak EasyShare Software as well as a stand alone reference from
their website. Please visit

http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet
http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

These two options will give you some insight into what is offered. If you
go to the Inkjet site, look to the left of the screen and click on Printer
Settings. If you have a current driver installed for your printer, use the
suggested settings and you will find that Kodak paper will yield good
results.

The One Touch site gives you the option of downloading and installing the
latest driver adjustments for your printer if you are using the EasyShare
software. Of course, all of this is free.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Ronald Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
> Greetings Tom,
>
> Kodak has created something called One Touch. This feature is incorporated
> into the Kodak EasyShare Software as well as a stand alone reference from
> their website. Please visit
>
> http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet
> http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch
>
> These two options will give you some insight into what is offered. If you
> go to the Inkjet site, look to the left of the screen and click on Printer
> Settings. If you have a current driver installed for your printer, use the
> suggested settings and you will find that Kodak paper will yield good
> results.
>
> The One Touch site gives you the option of downloading and installing the
> latest driver adjustments for your printer if you are using the EasyShare
> software. Of course, all of this is free.
>
> Talk to you soon,
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your input into this thread. I don't know if it's official or
unofficial your input on behalf of Kodak, but it's welcome. It's a shame
other manufacturer don't contribute.

I would like to ask one question though. I have used many brands of paper,
not all covered in my previous post as some were cheap and cheerful and
other were specific to here in the uk.
All brands I've tried required some fine tuning of the printer settings to
achieve correct results. I've just gone through about 20/30 sheets of Folex
stock printing out a GretagMacbeth colour chart with embedded sRGB colour
space (Yes my monitor is calibrated to 2.2 also. There
was nothing really wrong with the results on default settings, but they
didn't quite match what I saw on my monitor and as I manipulate my images
its important to know what I'm seeing on the screen will be printed. So I
know that all paper requires some tweaking.
However Kodak paper I've used in the past required much more than just
tweaking. On default setting the whole image would have a pink cast,
brightness and contrast way off.
Why does it appear as if Kodak paper requires more adjustment to printer
settings than other brands?

Please don't take this question the wrong way - I'm no expert - just and
enthusiastic amateur.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I know you are trying to be helpful but this NG and the printer NG is
not a venue for you company's advertising aka SPAM.

measekite wrote:
> I know you are trying to be helpful but this NG and the printer NG is
> not a venue for you company's advertising aka SPAM.
>
> Ronald Baird wrote:
>
>> Greetings Tom,
>>
>> Kodak has created something called One Touch. This feature is
>> incorporated
>> into the Kodak EasyShare Software as well as a stand alone reference from
>> their website. Please visit
>>
>> http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet
>> http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch
>>
>> These two options will give you some insight into what is offered. If
>> you
>> go to the Inkjet site, look to the left of the screen and click on
>> Printer
>> Settings. If you have a current driver installed for your printer, use
>> the
>> suggested settings and you will find that Kodak paper will yield good
>> results.
>>
>> The One Touch site gives you the option of downloading and installing the
>> latest driver adjustments for your printer if you are using the EasyShare
>> software. Of course, all of this is free.
>>
>> Talk to you soon,
>>
>> Ron Baird
>> Eastman Kodak Company
>>

>> "tomviolin" <rock_spambust_violin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
>>> Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
>>> store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>>>
>>> I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
>>> variety than, say, HP.
>>>
>>> I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
>>> just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>>>
>>> Help, Anyone?

he was responding to a question. Bug off!

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Ron Hunter wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> I know you are trying to be helpful but this NG and the printer NG is
>> not a venue for you company's advertising aka SPAM.
>>
>> Ronald Baird wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings Tom,
>>>
>>> Kodak has created something called One Touch. This feature is
>>> incorporated
>>> into the Kodak EasyShare Software as well as a stand alone reference
>>> from
>>> their website. Please visit
>>>
>>> http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet
>>> http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch
>>>
>>> These two options will give you some insight into what is offered.
>>> If you
>>> go to the Inkjet site, look to the left of the screen and click on
>>> Printer
>>> Settings. If you have a current driver installed for your printer,
>>> use the
>>> suggested settings and you will find that Kodak paper will yield good
>>> results.
>>>
>>> The One Touch site gives you the option of downloading and
>>> installing the
>>> latest driver adjustments for your printer if you are using the
>>> EasyShare
>>> software. Of course, all of this is free.
>>>
>>> Talk to you soon,
>>>
>>> Ron Baird
>>> Eastman Kodak Company
>>>

>>> "tomviolin" <rock_spambust_violin@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> he was responding to a question. Bug off!

Other people were chastised for doing what he is doing and it really
does not make any difference what the reasons is.

measekite wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>> I know you are trying to be helpful but this NG and the printer NG is
>>> not a venue for you company's advertising aka SPAM.

>> he was responding to a question. Bug off!
>

> Other people were chastised for doing what he is doing and it really
> does not make any difference what the reasons is.

You mean you can't mention a product in answer to a question? Since when?

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> > he was responding to a question. Bug off!
>

> Other people were chastised for doing what he is doing and it really
> does not make any difference what the reasons is.

Other people have been told to FO because they were trying 'hard' to sell
there products, mostly without prompting.
Kodak paper has been slated here quite often. I myself did it earlier in
this thread.
Ron was responding to that by stating that if you follow Kodak's printer
setting recommendations you'll get good results. He wasn't recommending it
over anything else or suggesting the OP buy it. I think that his post was
legitimate for this group.
If a product can give good results then knowing about it can only be a good
thing. As it gives us all more choice.

I'd still like to know why Kodak paper is so 'off' on default printer
settings - at least it is with canon printers?

--
Patrick

BURT

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I also had problems with Kodak paper on my Epson Stylus 900. I installed
the software that Kodak recommended and used the settings they recommended
and still got ink that didn't dry well and bronzing in the dark areas. I
feel that Baird's suggestions are ok on the NG for the reasons you stated,
but I wouldn't use Kodak paper on my Epson or my canon i960. Epson, Canon,
and Kirkland papers work so well that I see no reason to waste my time
tinkering with the Kodak papers.