Unmountable_boot_volume + missing partition

I've encountered a weird problem. My friend's computer hung up, restarted and a blue screen came up, saying "Unmountable boot volume". We've checked the connections, tried to run Windows in safe mode, recovery mode, tried the fixmbr and fixboot commands. chkdsk /r resulted in something like "There is at least one irreversibly damaged file" (translation from a Polish version). What's more, BIOS now sees it as a 37 GB disk (this is the size of partition C only), while it has 80GB.

Thanks in advance

Q

---
Ok, we managed to read the other, 43GB partition D and copy the data, but after installing it back in my friends computer it is still detected as a 37 GB. Is it possible to bring this Hard Drive to its full capacity?
4 answers Last reply
More about unmountable_boot_volume missing partition
  1. In the BIOS, is it set for Auto-detect? If the mobo is a few years old, it should match with the label on the HDD. If they boot up, what is the BIOS date (upon cold power on, hit the Pause/Break key). On the bottom left of monitor, you have a bunch of numbers and a date. Record this.

It is possible that the BIOS is out of date, and can easily be Flashed. NOTE: Unless you know how to do this, do not attempt. (in Windows, or via floppy disk). Contact mobo for details about flash the BIOS.
  2. Yes, it is set for Auto-detect. Before this problem, it worked perfectly fine with this motherboard, so I don't think an update of BIOS is the solution.
  3. Did you try the drive on another PC?
    If it shows up correctly then it might be a bios corruption and flashing it again could fix it.
    If the other PC sees the same kind of problem you are better of installing a new drive.
  4. Quote:
    Yes, it is set for Auto-detect. Before this problem, it worked perfectly fine with this motherboard, so I don't think an update of BIOS is the solution.

What worked perfectly fine? Seeing that your have few options, flashing the BIOS will notch out a varible that is needed to troubleshoot you disk coruption.

When you put the drive into another system can you boot from that drive? Or are you only slaving the disk?
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Partition Boot Storage