New processor = desktop freez

Zammy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I got a P4 3.06 (533mhz fsb) for fathers day. I took out my Celeron 2.4 and popped it in and put the new cooler fan on it that the dealer recommended. I have a Via P4PB 400 Mother Board.

Everything loads up fine, but about 15 seconds after the desktop loads up, everything freezes. I can load up windows in safe mode and run it for hours, but full XP Pro freezes every time.

I looked to see if there was a Bios upgrade I might need, but I have the one that Via says is the latest. The site clearly says that my MB should be compatible with the Processor. I was wondering if there may be a jumper issue I need to adjust, but I cant find the manual :(

Help

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
It's advisable to reformat your hard disk when changing more crucial parts such as a CPU or Mobo. Try that first. Don't forget to get everything up though :wink:

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
The other thing you could try before reformatting is to run the setup again of XP and do a repair. This could save you the trouble of having to reinstall everything again.

Not sure how many XP installs you have done, but it's not the first "repair" you see, that sends you to a dos prompt repair. It's the next repair setup offers.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I got a P4 3.06 (533mhz fsb) for fathers day. I took out my Celeron 2.4 and popped it in and put the new cooler fan on it that the dealer recommended. I have a Via P4PB 400 Mother Board.

Everything loads up fine, but about 15 seconds after the desktop loads up, everything freezes. I can load up windows in safe mode and run it for hours, but full XP Pro freezes every time.

I looked to see if there was a Bios upgrade I might need, but I have the one that Via says is the latest. The site clearly says that my MB should be compatible with the Processor. I was wondering if there may be a jumper issue I need to adjust, but I cant find the manual :(

Help

Does it freeze up immediatly in safe mode as well? To get there tap F8 as the computer is starting up and select the approprate options. If it doesnt freeze there it may be an issue with hyperthreading and a certain program you have running. If it freezes there i would disable HT in the BIOS and try again. It could also be a bad voltage regulator on the MB. A few years back when that chip was still fairly new spud had a 32bit RD1066 board which supported that chip you have there but caused nothing but problems for him. Turned out to be a bad revision of the board which couldnt handle the amperage or something like that of the 3.06b
I would do a parrallel install of windows before attemping a full OSRI because that will let you know if it is an issue with the cpu/board, or if it is just an installation unwilling to take a new cpu.

Zammy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
It does not happen at all in OS Safe mode. Someone told me it could the the OS driver not loading for the CPU, What do you think of that? If its a possibility, how do i fix it? I will do a XP Pro reinstall today if I cant get it figured out anyother way.

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
It does not happen at all in OS Safe mode. Someone told me it could the the OS driver not loading for the CPU, What do you think of that? If its a possibility, how do i fix it? I will do a XP Pro reinstall today if I cant get it figured out anyother way.

As I said earlier, try a repair of XP.

You run the normal xp setup as if you are doing a new install and don't use the first repair option.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I would look for and install the latest VIA Hyperion drivers. They may resolve the issue, before you end up doing a reinstall. GL :)

Zammy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Not sure how many XP installs you have done, but it's not the first "repair" you see, that sends you to a dos prompt repair. It's the next repair setup offers.

When I boot up XP it only offers to "Install" "type R for repair" or Exit. When I hit R it goes straght to DOS.

Zammy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
"I would look for and install the latest VIA Hyperion drivers. They may resolve the issue, before you end up doing a reinstall. GL "

Tanker, I DLd this when I read your post, I will install it and give the processor a try before I reinstall. Thanks.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You do not need to re-install Windows XP when all you've done is put in a new CPU.

Zammy, did you set the CPU up properly in your BIOS, or did you just plunk it in and turn the machin on? Follow the instructions in you rmotherboard manual about setting up yours CPU BIOS options.

Also, does your BIOS support the processor you've got. You may need to simply update the BIOS on the motherboard.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005

When I boot up XP it only offers to "Install" "type R for repair" or Exit. When I hit R it goes straght to DOS.
Repair install
1."Welcome to setup"<-----Press enter
2."term's and condition's"<-----Press F8
3." If one of the following installation's is damaged, setup can attempt to repair....."<-------Press R and in approx 20 minutes it will boot up normally again after a few setup questions.

Now keep in mind and SFC /scannow does everything a repair install does so you might want to try that first in the "run" portion of the start menu.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005

Did you try disabling all of your 3P software from msconfig in safe mode and then restarting?
Start/Run/"msconfig"---->services/Hide MS services(check that)/disable all/----->then to the startup tab/disable all there as well and then restart and see if it happens in normal mode. Also turn off HT in the Bios in conjunction with this step to see if it is a uniprocessor/multiprocessor driver issue. That can also be found under device manager.

Zammy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Thanks everyone. New processor is in and working. I used the Repair install. Only think is that now my Outlook express wont work :(

Thanks again for all your help.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Thanks everyone. New processor is in and working. I used the Repair install. Only think is that now my Outlook express wont work :(

Click Start/run/and then type "sfc /scannow" which will reinstall outlook express and verify all windows files are intact.

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006

Zammy,

Does it just not start, not connect or give an error?

Zammy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I get an error msg that says it could not open MSOE.DLL could not be opend. I tryed to replace it but it doesnt work.

I also tried that sfc /scannow command and all my computer does is blink and nothing happens :?

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I get an error msg that says it could not open MSOE.DLL could not be opend. I tryed to replace it but it doesnt work.

I also tried that sfc /scannow command and all my computer does is blink and nothing happens :?

Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it from in the Control panel - add/remove programs.

NOTE: This may loose any information already in OE!