Need help with Mobo for 805D, not your typical OC question

MarkZX6R

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I've read through a lot of other 805D posts in regards to what motherboards to run with them, but it seems that everyone here wants to recreate what the guys did in their 4ghz article and that is not what I am looking for.

I am basically building a PC that I am going to use to run some schoolwork (as I've switched from PC to an iBook 3 years ago for college, which has been nice avoiding viruses and what not). The problem is, a lot of the programs my prof's use are windows only and I'd like to be able to run them at home and not always have to head across town to use a PC.

Anyways, I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means but I would probably wind up playing games on the computer so I'm going to build something that can handle games but is by NO MEANS top of the line. So please, don't bother posting about Conroe or anything because I'm not even looking to spend that much on the processor etc. (I'm keeping cost under $600 excluding the monitor, I've toyed with other stuff so I'm looking to keep the mobo somewhere around $100-$120 or less if that's sufficient for my needs.)

Here is what I am looking at now:

Intel Pentium 805D Processor
XFX 7600GT 256MB
1GB Ram (Eventually 2GB, but not now)

Anyways, I want to find a decent motherboard to go along with this, where if I wanted to I'd be able to OC to 3.2ghz if I even did that. Obviously I need PCI-E due to the graphics card.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT* - I also just found this 3800+ Venice for $147 on Newegg, I'm looking at paying $125 for the 805D, so if there is a mobo that would be comparable and bring the cost back around to keep it under ~$220-240 total for both (mobo/cpu) that would work.

ASUS seems to make the effort to regulate the voltages throughout their motherboards more so than other MB manufactures. I think this helps considerably when you are talking about overclocking a system. ASUS boards consistently run faster out of the box than their competitors. It's always a bummer to build a rig and have the voltages jumping around unstable everywhere you look.

Be sure and get a 955 or 975 chipset with that processor. Those are the two chipsets used in the Tom's article regarding overclocking the 805 D Smith. You will be very happy with this processor. It run fabulous at factory settings. And even better with a stable, well designed board.

MarkZX6R

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
What do you think about pairing the 805 D up with an Asus P5ND2-SLI?

Should I not even consider the 3800+ since it's not dual core?

I'm assuming the P5ND2-SLI is an AMD 939 board. Getting a dual core processor will not make the CPU run any faster. It will give you two processors running at that speed though. You should go with a dual core if you can afford it. Multitasking is so much better and the system will run much smootherb to the touch with a dual core.

I have an AMD 4800 X2 (2.4 OC'd to 2.5, 500mgz Crucial PC4000 RAM)and a Pentium D 805 (OC'd 3.25 667 OCZ DDR2 RAM speed). Both perfrom great. Makes using the computer fun have poweful dual core processors. I know...expensive talk!

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006

Running one of these myself. I have settled on 3.8GHz OC with it. have had it up to 4GHz and it appeared to be stable. I did not have to do any BIOS updates to get it to run at stock or OC.

2 thing to be aware of. 1. SLI mode on this board is only 8x each card. 2. Will not take a D9xx CPU if you want one latter.

As far as OCing goes, not bad at all for the dollars.

I can only give you an opinion on how it went for me.

The 3800+ is an AMD socket 939 processor. I thought you were considering AMD? Pentim has been dropping prices on some of their nicer processors lately. I have so many computers, processors etc. I do think an ASUS motherboard is a good choice though. The Nforce 4 chipset is new to the Pentium line. I have the Nforce4 on my MSI K8N NEO Platinum/SLI with my 4800 X2 dual core 2.4. I also have three other MSI boards, socket 754 and I have three ASUS boards, one socket A, one socket 754 and the socket 775 945g chip I keep referring to. Have built two Abit boards, currently have a socket 754 ABIT system and have also built tow DFI systems a socket A and a Socket 478.

I think ASUS is a very good choice in most instances.

MarkZX6R

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Okay this is what I think I'm going to go with if you want to glance over it.

Intel 805 D
Asus P5ND2-SLI
pQI Turbo 1GB (2x512mb)
eVGA GeForce 7600 GT
WD 160GB Sata 3.0 GB/S
Xion Case
Lite-On DVD-RW

Before rebates that comes to $597.93 and after rebates $557.93 -- I think that's a pretty good deal for all of those components and I'd be hard pressed to build a better system for the money in my opinion. If I went up to $600 even I'd probably buy some better memory but the pQI Turbo model seems to have been reviewed pretty well and should do the trick, although I think I remember reading that that Asus board might be a little touchy with RAM (anyone confirm?)

Anyways if anyone wants to comment on that, it'd help me out a lot before I were to order.

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Okay this is what I think I'm going to go with if you want to glance over it.

Intel 805 D
Asus P5ND2-SLI
pQI Turbo 1GB (2x512mb)
eVGA GeForce 7600 GT
WD 160GB Sata 3.0 GB/S
Xion Case
Lite-On DVD-RW

Before rebates that comes to $597.93 and after rebates $557.93 -- I think that's a pretty good deal for all of those components and I'd be hard pressed to build a better system for the money in my opinion. If I went up to $600 even I'd probably buy some better memory but the pQI Turbo model seems to have been reviewed pretty well and should do the trick, although I think I remember reading that that Asus board might be a little touchy with RAM (anyone confirm?)

Anyways if anyone wants to comment on that, it'd help me out a lot before I were to order.

Spend the extra on an afetrmarket cooler. The stock cooler is ok, some have been able to use it when OCing, but they are very noisy and not able to keep the temp down as well as the AM products.

MarkZX6R

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah -- I'll put a few 120's in there if they fit if not some upgraded 80mm fans once I decide to OC or if BIOS says it's running hot. For now I'll probably leave it stock and see how it runs.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

I'm assuming the P5ND2-SLI is an AMD 939 board.

He specifically said pairing it up with an 805D, genius. You must be one of those people who don't read the post; they just reply.

Looks like a fast system. I own two of the EVGA 7600 GT's. Have them is SLI on my 4800 X2 on an MSI K8N NEO Platinum/SLI Board. Wish I had the ASUS A8N32-SLI socket 939 board. 'spensive.

The EVGA cards were running hot on me in SLI (mine are the KO copper version), especially the Primary card 58c to 59 c idle. So I installed a Zalman VF-700 VGA cooler on both cards. Brought the temps on the secondary 7600 GT down from 53c 54c idle to 46c idle and on the primary brought the temps down from 59c to 56c idle. I also have a single EVGA 7800 GT KO which is extremely good on my 805 D rig.

If you are going to O'c you will likely need a better heatsink and fan the factory gives. I'm going this being delivered tomorrow:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185125

You picked a great processor in the 805-D. You will be very happy with it.

I bought it for my AMD 4800+ X2 and was planning on buying he ASUS A8N32-SLI board and moving my primary rig (the 4800 X2) to the ASUS board with the Artic Freezer. But in the back of my mnd I was thinking I could just use the Artic Cooler on my micro 805 Pentium D back up rig. I have a copper core Coolermaster heatsink and fan on the Pentium 805 D right now, but I was thinking if I can't afford the new ASUS A8N32-SLI, I'd just throw the Artic Cooler on my 805 D becaused the Artic freezer looks low profile and it might fit in my micro case.

Your are right! My thinking was wrong. I was thinking I could use the Artic Cooler on either my AMD or my pentium setup! Thanks for pointing it out!
I may have to order an Artic Cooler for the Pentium 805 D after I see the actual size tomorrow. Thanks again!

The artic freezer heatsink and fan $29.99 I listed for you is indeed for an AMD. You would need a heatsink/fan for your Pentiun D, not for an AMD CPU like the one on the link I posted to you. My mistake.