Optical Mouse Freezes Under XP SP2

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am having a problem with my mouse freezing for 10-20 seconds; there is a
"clang sound" that comes through my speakers and the system returns to
normal. I am running Windows XP with SP2 on an HP pavilion 7965 with 512
mb.

When this happens, I can still stroll through a document, spreadsheet, etc
by using the up/down arrow keys; therefore, the system is not frozen. Also,
I have hit the ctl,alt,del key to see if anything funnies running at time.
Everything looks normal. It usually happens (but not always) when Outlook
Express or Internet Explorer is open.

I was having this problem before I installed sp2.

Using Norton System works 2002 that has been kept up to date via internet
subscription.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

Tom D.

"Tom" wrote:

> I am having a problem with my mouse freezing for 10-20 seconds; there is a
> "clang sound" that comes through my speakers and the system returns to
> normal. I am running Windows XP with SP2 on an HP pavilion 7965 with 512
> mb.
>

> When this happens, I can still stroll through a document, spreadsheet, etc
> by using the up/down arrow keys; therefore, the system is not frozen. Also,
> I have hit the ctl,alt,del key to see if anything funnies running at time.
> Everything looks normal. It usually happens (but not always) when Outlook
> Express or Internet Explorer is open.
>

> I was having this problem before I installed sp2.
>

> Using Norton System works 2002 that has been kept up to date via internet
> subscription.
>

> Would appreciate any help.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Tom D.

My problem w/ the mouse is that it freezes and wont function anymore. then
I have to restart. It has been happening constantly for the last 3 days...

"Tom" wrote:

> I am having a problem with my mouse freezing for 10-20 seconds; there is a
> "clang sound" that comes through my speakers and the system returns to
> normal. I am running Windows XP with SP2 on an HP pavilion 7965 with 512
> mb.
>

> When this happens, I can still stroll through a document, spreadsheet, etc
> by using the up/down arrow keys; therefore, the system is not frozen. Also,
> I have hit the ctl,alt,del key to see if anything funnies running at time.
> Everything looks normal. It usually happens (but not always) when Outlook
> Express or Internet Explorer is open.
>

> I was having this problem before I installed sp2.
>

> Using Norton System works 2002 that has been kept up to date via internet
> subscription.
>

> Would appreciate any help.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Tom D.

If it is wireless, then could the batteries be running down?