Optical Mouse Freezes Under XP SP2

I am having a problem with my mouse freezing for 10-20 seconds; there is a
"clang sound" that comes through my speakers and the system returns to
normal. I am running Windows XP with SP2 on an HP pavilion 7965 with 512
mb.

When this happens, I can still stroll through a document, spreadsheet, etc
by using the up/down arrow keys; therefore, the system is not frozen. Also,
I have hit the ctl,alt,del key to see if anything funnies running at time.
Everything looks normal. It usually happens (but not always) when Outlook
Express or Internet Explorer is open.

I was having this problem before I installed sp2.

Using Norton System works 2002 that has been kept up to date via internet
subscription.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

Tom D.
3 answers Last reply
More about optical mouse freezes

    "Tom" wrote:

    > I am having a problem with my mouse freezing for 10-20 seconds; there is a
    > "clang sound" that comes through my speakers and the system returns to
    > normal. I am running Windows XP with SP2 on an HP pavilion 7965 with 512
    > mb.
    >

    > When this happens, I can still stroll through a document, spreadsheet, etc
    > by using the up/down arrow keys; therefore, the system is not frozen. Also,
    > I have hit the ctl,alt,del key to see if anything funnies running at time.
    > Everything looks normal. It usually happens (but not always) when Outlook
    > Express or Internet Explorer is open.
    >

    > I was having this problem before I installed sp2.
    >

    > Using Norton System works 2002 that has been kept up to date via internet
    > subscription.
    >

    > Would appreciate any help.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    >

    > Tom D.

    My problem w/ the mouse is that it freezes and wont function anymore. then
    I have to restart. It has been happening constantly for the last 3 days...

    "Tom" wrote:

    > I am having a problem with my mouse freezing for 10-20 seconds; there is a
    > "clang sound" that comes through my speakers and the system returns to
    > normal. I am running Windows XP with SP2 on an HP pavilion 7965 with 512
    > mb.
    >

    > When this happens, I can still stroll through a document, spreadsheet, etc
    > by using the up/down arrow keys; therefore, the system is not frozen. Also,
    > I have hit the ctl,alt,del key to see if anything funnies running at time.
    > Everything looks normal. It usually happens (but not always) when Outlook
    > Express or Internet Explorer is open.
    >

    > I was having this problem before I installed sp2.
    >

    > Using Norton System works 2002 that has been kept up to date via internet
    > subscription.
    >

    > Would appreciate any help.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    >

    > Tom D.

    If it is wireless, then could the batteries be running down?

    "niteloner" <niteloner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My problem w/ the mouse is that it freezes and wont function anymore.
    > then
    > I have to restart. It has been happening constantly for the last 3
    > days...
    >
    > "Tom" wrote:
    >
    >> I am having a problem with my mouse freezing for 10-20 seconds; there is
    >> "clang sound" that comes through my speakers and the system returns to
    >> normal. I am running Windows XP with SP2 on an HP pavilion 7965 with 512
    >> mb.
    >>

    >> When this happens, I can still stroll through a document, spreadsheet,
    >> etc
    >> by using the up/down arrow keys; therefore, the system is not frozen.
    >> Also,
    >> I have hit the ctl,alt,del key to see if anything funnies running at
    >> time.
    >> Everything looks normal. It usually happens (but not always) when
    >> Outlook
    >> Express or Internet Explorer is open.
    >>

    >> I was having this problem before I installed sp2.
    >>

    >> Using Norton System works 2002 that has been kept up to date via internet
    >> subscription.
    >>

    >> Would appreciate any help.
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>

    >> Tom D.