At witt's end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dont know if this is the right place for this post or not I'm at my witt's end with this GOD DAM COMPUTER!!!!!!.. :wall: I keep on re-formating and re-installing Windows and it works for awhile and then crashes,this time 2 days!!!!!!!.Here are the specs..
AMD 64 San Diego 4000+@2.5
MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum MOBO...SYAR BIOS
2 GIGS of Corsair PC 3200
2 WD Raptor 74 gig hd's in raid 0
ATI X800XT
Audigy2
Silverstone 600 watt pw
Windows XP PRO SP2
The other night I ran mem test for 5 hours and it found no errors..It started and ran Prime95 torture test so there shouldnt be any problems with the build..
This time I was on-line gameing and it locked up.I tried to restart it and noticed that it was saying the raid array was bad.So I did f10 and fixed the raid and now it says it cant load the damm operateing system...What the hell is the matter with this piece of crap???????..You will have to forgive me I'm VERY UPSET....... :angryfire:

>>says it cant load the damm operateing system...What the hell is the matter with this piece of crap???????..<<

That particular MB comes with SATA and RAID drivers on floppy disks. You have to load those two floppy driver disks at the F6 command. MSI does not make the best boards on the market. I have several and all are flakey in their own way. ASUS might solve your problem. But don't count on ASUS support.

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One of your hard drives may be out or in the process of going out. I always get ther BSOD when that happens.

The HD's are brand new...And I know about installing the drivers it has all of the right ones..Maybe I would be better off with a non raid system..I have a 160 gig Sata HD..Maybe I should try it....

Heres another question,do I need to take the overclock off when re-formating and re-installing Windows?? Could that be hurting it???

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I just built a box with an msi board, almost identical to an asus system I have and it works just as well, not a single glitch.

Don't overclock anything until you have a stable system. Reset the bios, do a clean install, run the machine for a few days to break it in, then start playing. If it keeps bsoding, run wd diags on the hd's.

One of your hard drives may be out or in the process of going out. I always get ther BSOD when that happens.

The HD's are brand new...And I know about installing the drivers it has all of the right ones..Maybe I would be better off with a non raid system..I have a 160 gig Sata HD..Maybe I should try it....

Heres another question,do I need to take the overclock off when re-formating and re-installing Windows?? Could that be hurting it???

I have the same MB (MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum/SLI) running my AMD 4800+ X2 with the OS installed on a single WD 74. There is a BIOS reset button next to the battery. Just use a pencil tip and press the butyton in fully. This resets the BIOS.

Having the CPU and RAM settings clocked will not specifically matter when load an OS onto the hard drive I wouldn't think.

Maybe you have a short? I had a short on my power on switch on this rig. Caused problems with shutdowns until I noticed the switch was loose behind the front panel. Could be a short from the MB to the case? Don't really know.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
OC'd could affect the installation if the sata bus is out of spec, I don't know if you can lock it on that board, but anytime you mess with frequencies that could affect the hd you will have potential corruption.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
OC'd could affect the installation if the sata bus is out of spec, I don't know if you can lock it on that board, but anytime you mess with frequencies that could affect the hd you will have potential corruption.
Yeah, IIRC that's a s754 board, and s754 didn't have
AGP/PCI locks...did it? :?

Sorry, I just realized you were talking about an MSI socket 754 Platinum board. I have 3 of them! All three are K8N-NEO Platinum socket 754's. I am running 2 right now and have a third sitting in a box in the garage. Got so many through RMA's and repurchase not wanting to wait for good RMA'd boards through MSI. Have an AMD 64 2.2 Clawhammer running on one and an AMD 64 3400 2.4 on the other. Also have an AMD 64 3700 socket 754 running on a ASUS K8N Socket 754 and also another AMD 3400 2.4 socket 754 running on an ABIT socket 754 board. Whew.

Anyway, I can tell you the ASUS board is by far the fastest, most stable board out of the box I have seen. Much better product than the MSI's I have. I'm running my AMD 64 3700 2.4 socket 754 on the ASUS. Let me say with the three identical MSI K8N Platinum 754 boards one thing. They are as flakey as breakfast cereal. Right now my voltages are jumping all around on both MSI boards I am currently up and running with. By comparison to the ASUS board I have, the MSI boards are far less compotent in running a fast, stable AMD socket 754 system.

Don't get me wrong, the MSI boards have a lot of end user features, but the engineering is just not there. Ever notice your system temps are unstable, your Vcore is hopping around and you can't lock it down with any power supply. MSI 754 boards are flaky like that. That being said I think MSI is an excellent company. Their online support has always responded to my emails and their warranty service has been honored. ASUS support is far worse than MSI's.

Computers can be finicky I know, but you may solve your crash problem with a new MB. I am still using my ASUS deluxe ASUS socket A board to run VISTA BETA! VISTA runs great on my ASUS socket A AMD 3200.

If you think a new board may solve your problem, Here's the best board I have found $60 can buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131512

Now I read your running a socket 939? hahahaha! You must be editing your post evry time I'm writing a post to you! LMAO! Thank the Lord I have only one socket 939 to mess with! hahahaha!

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006

Why on earth would you be overclocking a system to install Windows anyway?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Heck, I'm so confused. He has an AMD 64 4000 don't he? That's a socket 939? Don't start editing stuff if I answer you ok! hahahahahaha!

Edited for spelling error.
You're right. He either got the CPU wrong, or the mobo. :?

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heck, I'm so confused. He has an AMD 64 4000 don't he? That's a socket 939? Don't start editing stuff if I answer you ok! hahahahahaha!

Edited for spelling error.
You're right. He either got the CPU wrong, or the mobo. :?

It is an AMD 64 San Diego 4000+ ON A MSI K8N NE02 Platinum...I cant afford any new parts....

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I have a friend with 3 of those running 24/7/365 as email and web servers in a linux cluster. He's never had a problem in 2 years. Has 3200+ I believe. He's never overclocked them, maybe that's why you're having probs with it. My Neo4 Plat is just as rock solid as my asus a8ne. I only overclock video, cpu overclocking is rarely visible to me in games, at least with my 3700+'s.

Default everything and try again, let us know if it works, also try a single hd in non-raid, then add the second drive without raid, use them both, if it's stable try striping them.

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a friend with 3 of those running 24/7/365 as email and web servers in a linux cluster. He's never had a problem in 2 years. Has 3200+ I believe. He's never overclocked them, maybe that's why you're having probs with it. My Neo4 Plat is just as rock solid as my asus a8ne. I only overclock video, cpu overclocking is rarely visible to me in games, at least with my 3700+'s.

Default everything and try again, let us know if it works, also try a single hd in non-raid, then add the second drive without raid, use them both, if it's stable try striping them.

Anyway I'm going to remove the OC..Probably go from being a fairly good gameing rig to a pig....Also I have a WD Sata 160 gig HD that I would like to install in place of the 2 Raptors in Raid..Can I have some pointers on doing this..What drivers do I use for this HD at the F6 prompt?

64bit939

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
You dont need a special driver for the drive, you need the driver for the controller. another words, use what came with the motherboard.

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You dont need a special driver for the drive, you need the driver for the controller. another words, use what came with the motherboard.

There is a floopy that came withe MOBO that says "Nforce3 Sata Raid Driver for Win XP only"..Would this be the right one?? Even tho it wont be a raid??

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum MOBO...SYAR BIOS

:?
What? You flashed a non-official BIOS? Mmmm... Try to flash an original and/or updated BIOS from MSI website. 8)

I doubt very seriously if its the BIOS...The person that made it is EXTREAMLY smart and there is a lot of people
useing it with no problems..I think the main problem is ME being a first time builder and not knowing what I'm doing....

64bit939

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Yep that is the correct one. it will install your SATA drivers which will let windows detect your controller and Hard drive

64bit939

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Yep that is the correct one. it will install your SATA drivers which will let windows detect your controller and Hard drive

Sorry for the double post