OC lifetime decrease

sex_monkey

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
hey i have a 3800+ venice on a asus a8n-e mobo,using two sticks of corsair pc4400 i got it up to 269x10 at a vcore of 1.525.
im happy with the result the ram runs at 1:1 ratio and with my arctic freezer my temps never go above 45 degrees at full load.
my question is how long will my motherboard be able to keep this up?
i have had it running for a full week but in the back of my mind im not sure if i want to risk taking out a motherboard.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Please don't take this the wrong way, but OCing is for ENTHUSIASTS. I intentional highlighted that word. You should never put your rig at jepoardy by OCing. TG and THG are professionals and understand electrical engineer and thermohydrodynamics. The articles are for entertainment only and should not be replicated.

I pray that one day TG and the mods start using disclaimers when commenting on OCing. It may sound far fetched, but eventually someone is going to get seriously physically hurt. Its not a matter of how, but when.

xyzunit

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Please don't take this the wrong way, but OCing is for ENTHUSIASTS. I intentional highlighted that word. You should never put your rig at jepoardy by OCing. TG and THG are professionals and understand electrical engineer and thermohydrodynamics. The articles are for entertainment only and should not be replicated.

I pray that one day TG and the mods start using disclaimers when commenting on OCing. It may sound far fetched, but eventually someone is going to get seriously physically hurt. Its not a matter of how, but when.

Yeah, my friend decided to cool his rig with an anti-matter conversion chamber and accidentally created an absolute zero environment. It was at this juncture that the universe ceased to exist. Thankfully, the almighty Parallax reignited the sun and saved all of humanity.
Save tripping on LSD and not knowing whether or not to ingest your power supply, I don't see how you could seriously physically injure yourself. And if someone gets hurt super-giga bad, well then +10 points for natural selection.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Dude, he's not working on a Super Collider.
Unless you have a Dell, which it sounds like you do, overclocking has become factory supported with good hardware.
Were you been ?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Yeah, my friend decided to cool his rig with an anti-matter conversion chamber and accidentally created an absolute zero environment. It was at this juncture that the universe ceased to exist. Thankfully, the almighty Parallax reignited the sun and saved all of humanity.
Save tripping on LSD and not knowing whether or not to ingest your power supply, I don't see how you could seriously physically injure yourself. And if someone gets hurt super-giga bad, well then +10 points for natural selection.
What speed did he hit? :lol:

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
To answer your question with overclocking there is no definite time frame. Since you are pushing your components out of spec. One thing I have heard is that the average life of a CPU is approximately 10 years. Typically processors are designed with a 10% overhead. That overhead is there to allow for warmer or more moist atmospheres.

As for why large companies are overclocking and offering warranties it is because no one actually keeps their PC for 10 years. So who cares if your hardware only lasts five years, or even three years. Often times overclocked hardware only comes with a one year warranty anyways.

I have had my PC since December of 2002. It is an Athlon XP 2500+ (166x11) which is running at 215x10.5 on an Asus A7N8X-DELUXE rev 2.0. So my percentage overclock is about the same as yours. I'm just now starting to have issues with the motherboard.

At the same time I'm just about ready for an upgrade anyways, so if it quits working I don't particularly care.

My advice is if you plan on keeping your PC for more than three years you probably shouldn't overclock it.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006

There are dangers every where these days.
People get hurt at home just as much they get injured out and about!!

You're thinking too much about this OCing thing........
Read what he is asking......he's merely asking if OCing will mess up his board and you're telling him, forget the board, it will kill you!!!!

I'd say if you want to OC and your CPU has the potential to do so, why not? Just make sure you have quality parts such as power supply, RAM, etc...........
Good power supplies these days all come with some kind of circuit breaker kinda thing where if anything goes wrong, it will just cut off the electricity.

So dont expect cheap parts to OC well or have other functionalities........
In terms of degradation, I think in some ways it does cause it to degrade a little but with technology changing so fast these days and Microsoft making you to upgrade.............you're likely to buy a new PC once every 2 years anyway!!

First signs of degradation is when your stable OC settings becmoes unstable!

It will still work, just tune it down a little!!!

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006

WTF ......

jesus lives !

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006

I felt bad for everyone slagging you after your original post. So I decided to find a video that can demonstrate the how someone can get physically hurt by overclocking.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5393904704265757054&q=duron

xyzunit

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
What speed did he hit? :lol:

He hit a wall at Mach 19.

As for Jesus living, I'll let you be the judge of that 8)

And in response to that cpu rocket, I'm thinking that'll be the next big thing to hit store shelves? Say, 8 and up. Could be huge like super soakers or something. CPU LAUNCHER SP5000!!!

cme2c

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006

I felt bad for everyone slagging you after your original post. So I decided to find a video that can demonstrate the how someone can get physically hurt by overclocking.

Hey, a pentium 75 (thats 75MHz pentium 1) would melt motherboards if the fan failed. Of course, in those days we were just getting used to needing fans......

vhawk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

Thanks for the laugh. Anyone with these two brainiacs' brain power should qualify for the Darwin awards.

OC a 2GHz cpu to 3.8GHz and then removing the heat sink. Can you be more idiotic - nope, think not.

OC only degrades the CPU / MB if the temperature gets out of control So if you keep it cool, you will be upgrading long before the MB / CPU dies on you.

45C sound just fine You should be OK all the way to about 60C. Above that the CPU life will be affected quite a lot - also see to it that you cool the MB chipset and the RAM.

Many people forget to cool their OCed RAM which fails very quickly - RAM draws huge amounts of current and get quite HOT. You will see that most 'High Performance RAM is covered with AL heat sinks to dissipate the heat

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
look its jesus !

jesus-pastor.jpg

hi everybody !

man im bored

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
A duron rocket would be pretty sweet. If you took the pins off the bottom and started firing them you could get some pretty good shrapnel.

vhawk, I agree with everything you said except for:
OC only degrades the CPU / MB if the temperature gets out of control

That is mostly true. In fact about 90% true. But since i'm pedantic about these things.... proper cooling will make the CPU/MB/RAM last longer than if it was improperly cooled, but will still have a shorter life than something running at stock. Of course hardware running at stock with better cooling will outlast stock hardware with stock cooling.....

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
hey i have a 3800+ venice on a asus a8n-e mobo,using two sticks of corsair pc4400 i got it up to 269x10 at a vcore of 1.525.
im happy with the result the ram runs at 1:1 ratio and with my arctic freezer my temps never go above 45 degrees at full load.
my question is how long will my motherboard be able to keep this up?
i have had it running for a full week but in the back of my mind im not sure if i want to risk taking out a motherboard.

i have that board, and i have to say the stock chipset cooler is pretty shoddy noise-wise. nice board, get a better chipset cooler - especially if overclocking.

i'm a fan of zalman myself, all my cooling (cept for the case fans) is zalman.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
It may sound far fetched, but eventually someone is going to get seriously physically hurt. Its not a matter of how, but when.
So true. When the twist ties, that Tom's recommends you secure your northbridge fan with, let go, the fan will go spinning right through your nice case window, and the plexiglass shards will get in your eyes. Then the fan will land on your foot and,while still spinning, chew up your poor toes.
Maybe SNL should do a skit on the dangers of O/Cing....would be funny. :roll:

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
In that first video did I see it right? Did he really have the core voltage at 4.2V??? I think from now on whenever I see someone break their machine due to overclocking I'm going to say extreme in a french accent.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
To answer your question with overclocking there is no definite time frame. Since you are pushing your components out of spec. One thing I have heard is that the average life of a CPU is approximately 10 years. Typically processors are designed with a 10% overhead. That overhead is there to allow for warmer or more moist atmospheres.

As for why large companies are overclocking and offering warranties it is because no one actually keeps their PC for 10 years. So who cares if your hardware only lasts five years, or even three years. Often times overclocked hardware only comes with a one year warranty anyways.

I have had my PC since December of 2002. It is an Athlon XP 2500+ (166x11) which is running at 215x10.5 on an Asus A7N8X-DELUXE rev 2.0. So my percentage overclock is about the same as yours. I'm just now starting to have issues with the motherboard.

At the same time I'm just about ready for an upgrade anyways, so if it quits working I don't particularly care.

My advice is if you plan on keeping your PC for more than three years you probably shouldn't overclock it.

Even at stock setting every ASUS board I have had dies around that same 3 year mark...the caps die.

I started useing DFI board this year becuse of better parts they use (the caps) and also fide they OC better.

By they way PSU's suffer from the same problems of MB's in respect to the caps.