Sign in with
Your question

Building budget computer (first timer)

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2006 1:30:56 AM

Well. I'm building a budget computer, and this is my first time. I don't want it to be over 700 and I already have the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers. So far I have this. It's about 680(ish) with some rebates. I don't want to go AM2 because it seems too expensive. Is there any way to make this cheaper without sacrificing performance? Are all these parts compatible?

CD/DVD Drive - Pioneer 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Read Black ATAPI Model DVR-111D - OEM
Case/PSU - Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail
Hard Drive - SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series HD160JJ 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Motherboard - ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Graphics Card - GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe II, Lead Free Video Card - Retail
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX - Retail
Memory/RAM - OCZ Platinum Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELPE - Retail [/b]

Thanks for the help.
June 19, 2006 2:27:38 AM

As I tell every first system builder, buy an XBOX 360. You will be so much happier :D  you spent your money on something worthwhile. Don't be a victim and buy more pc components. You'll eventually see the light and remember my comment, "I TOLD YOU SO!".
June 19, 2006 2:30:54 AM

1st..if you wait till july 24th prices Might come down on 939 procs..and will definitely come down on AM2. Switching from the silent 7600gt would save soem dough..like an evga 7600gt which has been on rebate at newegg for $150 here
at the time of drop am2 solutions will probably be cheaper by the difference of the cpu since overall both platforms are even

xbox360.. i would tend to agree, and the controller is much nicer. Still, g4tv said even the 360 suffers some frame rate lag with Oblivion,in some situations
Related resources
June 19, 2006 2:45:48 AM

Quote:
As I tell every first system builder, buy an XBOX 360. You will be so much happier :D  you spent your money on something worthwhile. Don't be a victim and buy more pc components. You'll eventually see the light and remember my comment, "I TOLD YOU SO!".

A computer is much more useful than a console. You can't surf the web, edit photos, or make spreadsheets on an xbox, but you can play games on a PC.

Quote:
Switching from the silent 7600gt would save soem dough

I'll gladly pay another $20 to have a silent video card. My PC is loud enough as it is.

Quote:
xbox360.. i would tend to agree, and the controller is much nicer.

I disagree; I've been playing games with a keyboard since I was 3 years old. I'll never be able to use one of those controller thingies.
June 19, 2006 2:58:06 AM

Looks pretty good to me. You could probably get away with some cheaper ram. Other then that it looks solid.
June 19, 2006 3:09:43 AM

Thanks for the fast respones.

I'd rather not get a XBOX 360 because it can't do as much as a PC can.
June 19, 2006 3:19:00 AM

I would much rather wait for the PS3... the 360 really just didn't do it for me. I don't mind coughing up the $600 for it as long as it's going to be worth it :? We shall see lol...

As for your new rig...
Not a bad budget PC, but I would go for the 3700+ San diego (same as the 4000+, FX55 and FX57), for nearly the same cost. Plus, the 250gb version of that HDD can't be more than a few dollars more, might as well go for it.
June 19, 2006 3:32:06 AM

Your system is looking good, but you may want to wait til' July 24th as jimytheassassin says i hear there may be price drops on several Athlon solutions, and AM2 should be cheaper then too

though I would also agree to get this eVGA 7600 GT KO
clocked at 600 MHz core, 40 MHz higher than Silent Pipe II, and 1560 MHz memory 160 MHz higher than Silent Pipe II
it is cheaper and faster than the Silent Pipe II
it is also positively hot:) 
June 19, 2006 3:51:57 AM

i understand the desire for the silent solution gigabyte. If you had asked instead what would you buy, instead of how can i keep performance and save cash.. I'd go with the gigabyte myself because i like to work with sound recording. Fans make way too much noise. The stock amd fan will be loud as any sound card. If you want to go a step further, consider a zalman heat sink for the proc and some drive/fan/psu dampeners, sound proofing, even a silent psu..look around mod sites as some simple adds can be very cheap, but very effective. Xoxide
Consoles aren't for everyone, but have you ever used a belkin nostromo n52?
It's a compact keyboard for your left hand essentially that's fully programable..macros and all
June 19, 2006 11:17:32 AM

Hehe I love that gamepad... I bought on last year, and used it for almost all of the games I played... untill I got the Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard for X-mas... I love this damn keyboard!
June 19, 2006 2:51:12 PM

Quote:
As for your new rig...
Not a bad budget PC, but I would go for the 3700+ San diego (same as the 4000+, FX55 and FX57), for nearly the same cost. Plus, the 250gb version of that HDD can't be more than a few dollars more, might as well go for it.

I checked out the 3700+ San diego, but I wouldn't beable to fit that in my budget. Thanks for the suggestion though.
!