Which MEMORY???? (Corsair XMS)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
picking the perfect memory is like finding a black albino asian (no offense), its tricky... go to the memory makers site and check compatibility. I know my DFI board is really picky, but it seems to love my G.Skill :D . Corasir is usually compatible with everyone and there stable so should be no worries there

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Sooooo, Should I get DDR2 ram instead of DDR? since that it's higher clocked, but higher latency...and i might get a conroe, soooo...
But I know I'll stick with Corsair, cause they seriously kick some ass.:)

ixion

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
That depends entirely on your system, motherboards support either DDR or DDR2 not both (I'm sure there may be one or two exceptions but they're certainly not common) Chances are if you have a P4 system from the last 12 months it will use DDR2 whereas if you have an AMD it'll use DDR. Download CPU-Z, see what memory type you have in your system and buy the same type.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
My NEW rig people - I'm getting this ram for it - it's going to cost roughly 1500$ - specs:

Asus A8N-E mobo
eVGA7900 GT CO 256 MB (500/1500)
160 GB SATA II Seagate HD
Enermax Noisetaker 485 W
AMD 3700+ San Diego
2 GB "ram"

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I actually would reccomend a different type of ram if you're an extreme overclocker. The manufacturer for this ram is Centon Electronics, which most people have never heard of but they have the best enthusiast ram ever. Sadly they only come in 512mb stick flavours, but the preformance you get out of them is very worth it. This ram runs better on the DFI Lanparty enthusiast boards, because it needs quite a bit of voltage, it is set to 3.25 volts on default, but if your board goes upto 3.5 or 4 volts for memory, then this ram is for you. I have a few friends who run this ram at ddr540 with 2-2-2-0 timings on his dfi board. Here's the link to the ram.

Hiah!

If your board doesn't have that high a voltage avaliable then they have some ram chips that run at a lower voltage, for only a minimal reduction in overclockability, but it'll still run at over ddr500 with 2-2-2-5 timings, better than any other ram out there. I'd suggest getting two packs of this (4*512) and seeing what this is really worth. Here's the link to the lower voltage ram.

Hiah!

They also have another kind of uber ram out there which is called their super screened ram, which runs at pc4400 at 3-3-3-8 timings, and can be overcocked even more. They run at the lower volatage as well but they're only really good if you've got your cpu overclocked to the extreme, like with a fsb of 275 or more, but if for some reason, you have that, then this may just be for you. It has been known to go upto and over ddr-600 speeds with the 3-3-3-8 timings, and the bandwidth coming from this stuff is incredible.

Linky!!!

Of course if you're not a huge overclocker overclocker, and just want fast ram, there's a really good deal on OCZ Platinum right now on newegg. 150 for 2 gigs of their primo shtuff, running at ddr-500. Good stuff, and sexy looking too. It overclocks quite well too, but not as good as the Centon stuff.

Linky!!!

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
To all the memory gurus out there:)

I'm getting new RAM for my new rig, I'm keen on corsair XMS

I've used Corsair quite a bit but am no longer buying their stuff because I'm finding OCZ and mushkin easier to work with. You have to be willing to pony up for the good mushkin RAM, but I've been impressed with it.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
For your listed system make sure you get DDR ram NOT DDR2 as they are not supported by the A8N-E. I also prefer OCZ to Corsair, not saying that they are better or not (I have XMS 2-2-2-5 ram kit on my other computer).

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Sooooooo, I'm keen on 2 GB (2x1GB), and is there anything that beats the ram i listed?

And, If I'm getting Conroe, which ddr2 ram should i get?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
For (*&#$(* sakes you CANNOT get DDR2 ram for the motherboard you have listed and you CANNOT run a conroe processor on that motherboard either. Conroe is intel, the 3700+ is AMD, they do not use the same socket... Socket 939 (AMD) cannot accept intel processors and socket 775 (INTEL) cannot accept amd processors. IF you want Conroe and DDR2 then buy one of the few socket 775 mbs that can run conroe and get a cheap intel chip, ppl seem to like the D805 for some reason, until conroe is released.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I KNOW THAT, WHY THE HELL WOULD I BE EVEN HERE WHEN I DIDN"T EVEN KNOW THAT :)

If I stick with a conroe, than i;m changing the mobo...

Sooooooo, I'm keen on 2 GB (2x1GB), and is there anything that beats the ram i listed?

And, If I'm getting Conroe, which ddr2 ram should i get?

I'm running OCZ PC5400 DDR 667 mgz at well over 700 mgz. Opens the door to OC'ing my Pentium D 805.

As far as pairing PC3200 400 mgz. (they all run at 400 mgz including gold, platinum, semi gloss, and budget) with a processor (any processor) you are limiting yourself to 400 mgz. (slightly higher if you loosen your timings maybe) RAM to Procesor speed.

Check out PC4000 at 500 mgz if your board can run 500 mgz RAM. Wasn't so many years ago I was using a HP with 66 mgz RAM I think. Maybe it 100 mgz. Man was that a killer system! It's still in the garage waiting to be unlocked. Not the RAM, the box I keep it in.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
As far as pairing PC3200 400 mgz. (they all run at 400 mgz including gold, platinum, semi gloss, and budget) with a processor (any processor) you are limiting yourself to 400 mgz. (slightly higher if you loosen your timings maybe) RAM to Procesor speed.
Rrrrriiiight. Tell that to all the people who overclock on these forums.

And I believe the term you're looking for is MHZ.

Rrrrriiiight. Tell that to all the people who overclock on these forums.

And I believe the term you're looking for is MHZ.

I've got several computers that break down and want to die, even I put 400 MHZ RAM with sugar on and try and get it pucker a little.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I've got several computers that break down and want to die, even I put 400 MHZ RAM with sugar on and try and get it pucker a little.
No offense but either your equipment is not up to the task of overclocking, or you're doing something wrong, or both.

No offense but either your equipment is not up to the task of overclocking, or you're doing something wrong, or both.

It's these frickin' MSI motherboards I got in Trix.

I guy from the Phillipines told me my rig was in 'da doilet.