Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2006 2:16:07 AM

jk bout my topic
but will an over seas component work in my computer
i dont see why it wouldnt but just incase
June 19, 2006 2:47:32 AM

as long as u check if its pcie, agp or god forbid a pci card
June 19, 2006 3:00:37 AM

Yes it will but your pc will have an accent.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2006 3:09:54 AM

You may run into issues using the TV outputs but hooked up to a computer monitor it should be fine.
June 20, 2006 12:24:19 PM

Yes, yes it will. Hardware is hardware, it all conforms to the same standards, regardless where in the world you buy it. The only component you mighthave slight problems with is a PSU, unless it either switchable, or auto-sensing, like most of them nowadays. Other than that, you're fine.

But I would have to say, just because the hardware is British, DOES mean its better ;O)
June 20, 2006 2:28:32 PM

Paul's right, everything will be the same except TV output will be PAL.

You could probably even fix that by flashing to BIOS to an NTSC version...
June 20, 2006 3:18:17 PM

The most annoying thing with international hardware is getting driver updates for your stuff, but with a video card you should be fine. I just remember having to jump through hoops to update the drivers on my Soundblaster Audigy because I bought it in England and the site was crap back then (2001-ish).
June 20, 2006 4:11:48 PM

Here are some possible problems:
1. As mentioned, video functions may be PAL or even the other NTSC.
2. DVD drive, or DVD software may have problems with the Region Code.
3. Power supply (and cord) may require adapter and/or switching for voltage.
4. Some hardware, including video cards, are coded for their target locales, and installation software may install a different language.

I had a canadian card destined for the UK, and it did all kinds of wierd stuff on installation. (But it worked fine once I configured it for NTSC and pulled all the PAL code oot).
June 20, 2006 4:52:32 PM

It should. Just check the specifications carefully so you get no surprises. Same problems as many have mentioned, possible PAL, different voltages, etc. Most can be worked around.

Tea and crumpets, anybody?
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2006 5:03:24 PM

Quote:
Paul's right, everything will be the same except TV output will be PAL.

You could probably even fix that by flashing to BIOS to an NTSC version...

You should be able to change that in drivers without a flash.

They used to be dip switches, but now I see the option right in drivers (I'd take a screenie but I'm at work now), maybe you can check your rid's CCC/CP. I'm sure it's now user selectable.
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2006 5:04:46 PM

Quote:
Yes it will but your pc will have an accent.

Actually the worst part is all his driving games will now be on the left hand side of the road. And the cars'll be sponsored by Guiness not Bud!
June 20, 2006 5:22:34 PM

My UK purchased 9200 has a driver switchable NTSC/PAL/SECAM output.
June 20, 2006 5:44:30 PM

usually you can select betwen pal and ntsc by software
June 20, 2006 6:01:53 PM

Again, just to re-iterate, voltages and other intnternal specs will NOT be any different. The hardware in PC's is pretty much universal no matter where you buy it, the only difference is the language the drivers are in.

If you buy a machine in the UK, then upgrade with parts from France, Germany and the US, it'll all work together.

As for the TV output, yes, you can normally select either PAL/NTSC. Some even auto-detect. So, no need to worry, just buy the damn parts already :D 
!