X-Lite quality problems

I'm using X-Lite together with Sipgate for calls to
landlines. On the whole it's usable but I have problems
with brief interruptions in the audio at times,
particularly when both parties speak simultaneously.

It's almost as if it was a half-duplex connection
rather than a full-duplex connection. Or as if the
software is muting the microphone when the other side
is speaking. Maybe it is, I haven't managed to find
any settings that look like they could change that
though.

I'm running windows XP with latest updates behind a
firewall with all necessary ports opened, and a have
a 5Mb/s down 500Kb/s up DSL line which otherwise
performs well. I've used the X-Lite software on two
different computers with similar results. I also have
a new USB headset where interestingly the problem is
much worse than the old analogue headset.

Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve
this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware
VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without
being sure of this.

Can anyone advise me what I could try?

many thanks,
David

Sorry, I don't know why google sometimes refuses to accept
my real name!
David Johnstone

Ian

david_ffm@mail.com wrote in message news:<1112880164.657342.214640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...

> Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve
> this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware
> VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without
> being sure of this.
>
> Can anyone advise me what I could try?
>
> many thanks,
> David
Hi

1. Is the USB handset a "quality" one or just a cheapish one.
2. Is the soundcound full duplex?
3. Is the NIC full duplex and is it and the network running full duplex.
4. Get a packet sniffer and look at whats going on.

Ian

David Johnstone wrote:
> Sorry, I don't know why google sometimes refuses to accept
> my real name!
> David Johnstone

Can't help with that, but a hardware ATA or phone is always better IMHO.

I use the Sipura SPA-2000 which has 2 analogue phone ports.
www.sipura.com/products/spa2000.htm for info if you're interested.

Ivor

Costa

david_ffm@mail.com wrote in message news:<1112880164.657342.214640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
> I'm using X-Lite together with Sipgate for calls to
> landlines. On the whole it's usable but I have problems
> with brief interruptions in the audio at times,
> particularly when both parties speak simultaneously.
>
> It's almost as if it was a half-duplex connection
> rather than a full-duplex connection. Or as if the
> software is muting the microphone when the other side
> is speaking. Maybe it is, I haven't managed to find
> any settings that look like they could change that
> though.
>
> I'm running windows XP with latest updates behind a
> firewall with all necessary ports opened, and a have
> a 5Mb/s down 500Kb/s up DSL line which otherwise
> performs well. I've used the X-Lite software on two
> different computers with similar results. I also have
> a new USB headset where interestingly the problem is
> much worse than the old analogue headset.
>
> Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve
> this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware
> VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without
> being sure of this.
>
> Can anyone advise me what I could try?
>
> many thanks,
> David

Go to Xlite MENU and make sure that Transmit Silence=YES

Costa.

MENU
Advance System Settings
Audio Settings