X-Lite quality problems

I'm using X-Lite together with Sipgate for calls to
landlines. On the whole it's usable but I have problems
with brief interruptions in the audio at times,
particularly when both parties speak simultaneously.

It's almost as if it was a half-duplex connection
rather than a full-duplex connection. Or as if the
software is muting the microphone when the other side
is speaking. Maybe it is, I haven't managed to find
any settings that look like they could change that
though.

I'm running windows XP with latest updates behind a
firewall with all necessary ports opened, and a have
a 5Mb/s down 500Kb/s up DSL line which otherwise
performs well. I've used the X-Lite software on two
different computers with similar results. I also have
a new USB headset where interestingly the problem is
much worse than the old analogue headset.

Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve
this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware
VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without
being sure of this.

Can anyone advise me what I could try?

many thanks,
David
4 answers Last reply
More about lite quality problems

    Sorry, I don't know why google sometimes refuses to accept
    my real name!
    David Johnstone

    david_ffm@mail.com wrote in message news:<1112880164.657342.214640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...

    > Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve
    > this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware
    > VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without
    > being sure of this.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me what I could try?
    >
    > many thanks,
    > David
    Hi

    1. Is the USB handset a "quality" one or just a cheapish one.
    2. Is the soundcound full duplex?
    3. Is the NIC full duplex and is it and the network running full duplex.
    4. Get a packet sniffer and look at whats going on.

    Ian

    David Johnstone wrote:
    > Sorry, I don't know why google sometimes refuses to accept
    > my real name!
    > David Johnstone

    Can't help with that, but a hardware ATA or phone is always better IMHO.

    I use the Sipura SPA-2000 which has 2 analogue phone ports.
    www.sipura.com/products/spa2000.htm for info if you're interested.

    Ivor

    david_ffm@mail.com wrote in message news:<1112880164.657342.214640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
    > I'm using X-Lite together with Sipgate for calls to
    > landlines. On the whole it's usable but I have problems
    > with brief interruptions in the audio at times,
    > particularly when both parties speak simultaneously.
    >
    > It's almost as if it was a half-duplex connection
    > rather than a full-duplex connection. Or as if the
    > software is muting the microphone when the other side
    > is speaking. Maybe it is, I haven't managed to find
    > any settings that look like they could change that
    > though.
    >
    > I'm running windows XP with latest updates behind a
    > firewall with all necessary ports opened, and a have
    > a 5Mb/s down 500Kb/s up DSL line which otherwise
    > performs well. I've used the X-Lite software on two
    > different computers with similar results. I also have
    > a new USB headset where interestingly the problem is
    > much worse than the old analogue headset.
    >
    > Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve
    > this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware
    > VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without
    > being sure of this.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me what I could try?
    >
    > many thanks,
    > David

    Go to Xlite MENU and make sure that Transmit Silence=YES

    Costa.

    MENU
    Advance System Settings
    Audio Settings