• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

gordojas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Hi to all. I've been playing a bit with my P4P800 jumperless configuration feature, overclicking a P4 3.0EGHz, HT enabled. I've been able to modify the FSB speed, but what I'd really like is to change the speed multiplier (if that's the correct name for it). There's no jumperless setting for this, I can't seem to find anything about it on the user's manual. Is this possible in this kind of board? TIA, :wink: [/b]

el gordo

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi to all. I've been playing a bit with my P4P800 jumperless configuration feature, overclicking a P4 3.0EGHz, HT enabled. I've been able to modify the FSB speed, but what I'd really like is to change the speed multiplier (if that's the correct name for it). There's no jumperless setting for this, I can't seem to find anything about it on the user's manual. Is this possible in this kind of board? TIA, :wink: [/b]

el gordo

Sorry to tell you, but the multipliers are locked on all Intel non-ES processors, and IIRC a few EE's. You'll have to live with adjusting the FSB. Has nothing to do with your motherboard. :)

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
can you overclcok a processor above the motherboards suggested speed
eg say you were using the a penium 4 630 (prescot with enhanced speedstep) and you overclock it to a 290mhz fsb (1.19ghz qdr) to achive a 4.35ghz core now say we used one of thenm mulitplier changeing boards so we can lower the muliplier down to x14 (i think) instead of the default x15 we and then turn EIST off then we can achive a possible 4.06ghz overclock. is this correct?
15*290= 4.35ghz
14*290= 4.06ghz
this weould therefore enable tyou to have a faster system to processor bus witand it might be (a little) cooler
would overrclocking the fsb over 266mhz work because arent the motherboards (that suport a 266mhz fsb) designed ONLY for 266 and under?
the reason for this is i would like to get conroe but if i can't overclock the fsb beyond the 266mhz fsb then i cant achive a very high over clock on the cpu, the motheroards fsb would have to go at 375mhz to achive 3ghz on the cpu (2.18ghz, e6400 conroe).
am i right? :?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
can you overclcok a processor above the motherboards suggested speed
eg say you were using the a penium 4 630 (prescot with enhanced speedstep) and you overclock it to a 290mhz fsb (1.19ghz qdr) to achive a 4.35ghz core now say we used one of thenm mulitplier changeing boards so we can lower the muliplier down to x14 (i think) instead of the default x15 we and then turn EIST off then we can achive a possible 4.06ghz overclock. is this correct?
15*290= 4.35ghz
14*290= 4.06ghz
this weould therefore enable tyou to have a faster system to processor bus witand it might be (a little) cooler
would overrclocking the fsb over 266mhz work because arent the motherboards (that suport a 266mhz fsb) designed ONLY for 266 and under?
the reason for this is i would like to get conroe but if i can't overclock the fsb beyond the 266mhz fsb then i cant achive a very high over clock on the cpu, the motheroards fsb would have to go at 375mhz to achive 3ghz on the cpu (2.18ghz, e6400 conroe).
am i right? :?
Yes, that would work...If your mobo can FORCE the 14x multi. Mobo's "designed" for 266 bus, can generally go higher. Look at the p4p800..it has a range from 100FSB-400FSB. That doesn't mean the VRM won't melt at that speed, but the adjustment IS their. If you have seen any results for Conroe at Extreme Systems forums,you'll see they are over 450FSB now. They're pretty much reaching the limitations of the chipset at those speeds.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
so its not now the cpu that is restricting the overclocking of processors to higher frequencies its the motherboard and memory controller hub (or northbridge chipset if i am correct) that prevents higher overclocks. wouldnt you need like a 250m fan or liquid cooling to cool the mobo and northbridge? melted silicon... lol :lol:

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
You can't change the multiplier, but you can lower your memory speed from 400 to 320. This gives you the ability to overclock the processor even with cheap memory. You may also want to lock the pci/agp speed to 33/66.

For higher overclocks you can also raise the cpu voltage, but this is somewhat risky.