  • My Documents
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
September 25, 2004 1:03:04 PM

How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?
--
Thanks for the help, Carol

More about : folder open startup

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 4:10:28 PM

Hi Carol,

Have a look here (information courtesy of Kelly Theriot):
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm

Scroll down to "My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot" (near bottom of the
page).

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"carol" <carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?
> --
> Thanks for the help, Carol
September 25, 2004 4:10:29 PM

Patti, I checked out your site and I'm confused at where to find
F:\windows\system32\userinit.exe I did type this in run and it opened My
Documents folder. At that point I was unable to redirect the folder to not
open. Would that be in renaming it?

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi Carol,
>
> Have a look here (information courtesy of Kelly Theriot):
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm
>
> Scroll down to "My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot" (near bottom of the
> page).
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "carol" <carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?
> > --
> > Thanks for the help, Carol

September 25, 2004 10:00:28 PM

I take it Windows XP is installed on your F drive rather than C drive, and
that is why you're looking for F:\windows\system32\userinit.exe (please
correct me if I'm wrong).

The instructions at the site are for editing a value in the registry. Go to
Start>Run and key in regedit then click on OK or hit ENTER. When the
registry editor opens, navigate by either double-clicking or clicking on the
+ sign beside the following items, in order to expand the entries beneath
each:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
Microsoft
Windows NT
CurrentVersion

Single-click on the WinLogon key that is one of the keys beneath
CurrentVersion. When you have done that, look in the right-hand pane, under
the Name column, for Userinit and double-click on Userinit. In the Value
data field of the Edit string window for Userinit, it may read:
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe (or
F:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,F:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe if XP is
indeed on your F drive).
If so, change the Value data to read:
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe, (or F:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe, )

Close the registry editor (File>Exit)

Restart and see if the folder still opens at startup.

Regards

--

> Patti, I checked out your site and I'm confused at where to find
> F:\windows\system32\userinit.exe I did type this in run and it opened My
> Documents folder. At that point I was unable to redirect the folder to not
> open. Would that be in renaming it?
>
> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
> > Hi Carol,
> >
> > Have a look here (information courtesy of Kelly Theriot):
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm
> >
> > Scroll down to "My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot" (near bottom of
the
> > page).
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "carol" <carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?
> > > --
> > > Thanks for the help, Carol

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 10:14:36 PM

"carol" <carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?

Check your startup settings to find out what is causing this.
Applications that start with Windows can be found here:
- the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
- the Registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
- the folders
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows
XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to Perform a
Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

--
(tm)