Folder open at startup

How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?
--
Thanks for the help, Carol
4 answers Last reply

    Hi Carol,

    Have a look here (information courtesy of Kelly Theriot):
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm

    Scroll down to "My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot" (near bottom of the
    page).

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "carol" <carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?
    > --
    > Thanks for the help, Carol

    Patti, I checked out your site and I'm confused at where to find
    F:\windows\system32\userinit.exe I did type this in run and it opened My
    Documents folder. At that point I was unable to redirect the folder to not
    open. Would that be in renaming it?

    "Patti MacLeod" wrote:

    > Hi Carol,
    >
    > Have a look here (information courtesy of Kelly Theriot):
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm
    >
    > Scroll down to "My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot" (near bottom of the
    > page).
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "carol" <carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?
    > > --
    > > Thanks for the help, Carol

    I take it Windows XP is installed on your F drive rather than C drive, and
    that is why you're looking for F:\windows\system32\userinit.exe (please
    correct me if I'm wrong).

    The instructions at the site are for editing a value in the registry. Go to
    Start>Run and key in regedit then click on OK or hit ENTER. When the
    registry editor opens, navigate by either double-clicking or clicking on the
    + sign beside the following items, in order to expand the entries beneath
    each:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    Microsoft
    Windows NT
    CurrentVersion

    Single-click on the WinLogon key that is one of the keys beneath
    CurrentVersion. When you have done that, look in the right-hand pane, under
    the Name column, for Userinit and double-click on Userinit. In the Value
    data field of the Edit string window for Userinit, it may read:
    C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe (or
    F:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,F:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe if XP is
    indeed on your F drive).
    If so, change the Value data to read:
    C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe, (or F:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe, )

    Close the registry editor (File>Exit)

    Restart and see if the folder still opens at startup.

    Regards

    --

    > Patti, I checked out your site and I'm confused at where to find
    > F:\windows\system32\userinit.exe I did type this in run and it opened My
    > Documents folder. At that point I was unable to redirect the folder to not
    > open. Would that be in renaming it?
    >
    > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Carol,
    > >
    > > Have a look here (information courtesy of Kelly Theriot):
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm
    > >
    > > Scroll down to "My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot" (near bottom of
    the
    > > page).
    > >

    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Patti MacLeod
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > "carol" <carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?
    > > > --
    > > > Thanks for the help, Carol

    "carol" <carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >How do I keep My Documents folder from opening at start-up?

    Check your startup settings to find out what is causing this.
    Applications that start with Windows can be found here:
    - the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
    - the Registry keys
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    - the folders
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
    See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows
    XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to Perform a
    Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

    --
    (tm)