Hardest airport to land

Just out of curiosity (and to try it myself)...what is the most difficult
airport that you ever had to land to?

Thanks.
Matteo
17 answers Last reply
More about hardest airport land

    While you're waiting for individual responses, I think you'll have fun
    with this: http://www.dangerousairports.com

    Here's a few "interesting" airports taken from my website at:
    http://members.isp.com/glathrem@isp.com/

    VNLK lukla - a real world dangerous airport
    KMKO davis - don't be off to the side on this one
    CYLT alert - can't miss this strip, it follows you
    SESM rio amazonas - strip is at bottom of a crater

    You should use the default scenery/mesh to experience these.

    "Matteo V" <matteo@aquastudium.com> wrote in message
    > Just out of curiosity (and to try it myself)...what is the most difficult
    > airport that you ever had to land to?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Matteo

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:51:13 GMT, "Matteo V" <matteo@aquastudium.com>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >Just out of curiosity (and to try it myself)...what is the most difficult
    >airport that you ever had to land to?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Matteo

    How about Paro Bhutan..

    http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_depart.jpg

    -G

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:19:09 -0400, "glathrem" <glathrem@hotmail.com>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >Here's a few "interesting" airports taken from my website at:
    >http://members.isp.com/glathrem@isp.com/

    are you really going to wreck that nice barn??

    >VNLK lukla - a real world dangerous airport
    >KMKO davis - don't be off to the side on this one
    >CYLT alert - can't miss this strip, it follows you
    >SESM rio amazonas - strip is at bottom of a crater
    >
    >You should use the default scenery/mesh to experience these.

    I suppose it depends what you're trying to land. As you can see in the
    following article a 737 can do it
    http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_23/737-700Bhutan_story.html

    I suppose it would be a challenge in a 747.

    Geoff

    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:51:13 GMT, "Matteo V" <matteo@aquastudium.com>
    > brought the following to our attention:
    >
    > >Just out of curiosity (and to try it myself)...what is the most difficult
    > >airport that you ever had to land to?
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >Matteo
    > >

    > How about Paro Bhutan..
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_depart.jpg
    >

    > -G

    Here's a link to what's supposedly the only SESM photo on the web.

    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=529759

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:03:04 +0100, "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >I suppose it depends what you're trying to land. As you can see in the
    >following article a 737 can do it
    >http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_23/737-700Bhutan_story.html
    >
    >I suppose it would be a challenge in a 747.
    >
    >Geoff

    have read about that 737 demo exercise before.. but not seen the
    detailed flight description in link above. They were around 115klbs
    and Flaps 5 .. Interesting!! Did y'all run the payware 737 out there?

    -G

    Gregory wrote:

    >>>How about Paro Bhutan..
    >>>
    >>> http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_depart.jpg
    >>>

    >>> -G

    I tried it in a King Air .. It wasn't pretty..
    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    Hi Gregory,

    I'm betting you've achieved both A and B, successfully.

    Regards,
    John Ward
    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:51:13 GMT, "Matteo V" <matteo@aquastudium.com>
    > brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >>Just out of curiosity (and to try it myself)...what is the most difficult
    >>airport that you ever had to land to?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>Matteo
    >>

    > How about Paro Bhutan..
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_depart.jpg
    >

    > -G

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:12:09 +1000, "John Ward"
    <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

    >Hi Gregory,
    >
    > I'm betting you've achieved both A and B, successfully.
    >
    >Regards,
    >JW

    John.. you have a fine ability to `read between the lines'.. or see
    the `story behind the story'. It's an excellent comment to post. Have
    been able to come out of there along route A (in Std Atm) at 119klbs
    GW.. and also the opposite direction heading south. At 130klbs GTW
    had to push the engines hard and barely made it.

    Along route B however.. could not reasonable get out of there. It just
    seems nuts. Maybe one who knows more could try it and reply back.
    Best to have boB come in with the chopper.. or perhaps some of guys
    with their fighters!! :)

    -G

    >"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:51:13 GMT, "Matteo V" <matteo@aquastudium.com>
    >> brought the following to our attention:
    >>
    >>>Just out of curiosity (and to try it myself)...what is the most
    >>>difficult airport that you ever had to land to?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>Matteo
    >>>

    >> How about Paro Bhutan..
    >>
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_depart.jpg
    >>

    >> -G

    Gregory

    You just guilted me into it, as it was my nomination. I have done it in the
    past but I needed to prove to myself that I still had it. I used the PMDG
    737-700NG with blended winglets and an all up weight of just over 110,000LB.
    This is pretty much the same aircraft model used by Boeing for the test. I
    know its slightly lighter than the test plane but not much, I just couldn't
    be bothered going back into the load manager again.

    The take off was OK although you use quite a lot of the runway, and I
    haven't even tried it with one engine yet.

    Anyway I did land back at runway 33 after doing a circuit and I took a video
    (not great quality) of my effort
    http://flightdirector.whatthelenssaw.co.uk/clip/ (right click and save the
    mpg). I hope I am not opening myself up to a load of embarrassment here as I
    don't normally land with quite the same technique and alarms. I'm sure if
    Oskar hears all the cockpit alarms he will report me to the authorities.

    I do think this approach highlights one of the significant drawbacks of our
    beloved FS, namely that spatial awareness is not as good as real life. In
    this example I probably gave myself too much clearance of the ground on
    approach resulting in a steep descent at the end.

    Anyway it was fun and the scenery up there is great, I must go to that part
    of the world more often.

    Regards

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:47:41 +0100, "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >Gregory
    >
    >You just guilted me into it, as it was my nomination. I have done it in the
    >past but I needed to prove to myself that I still had it. I used the PMDG
    >737-700NG with blended winglets and an all up weight of just over 110,000LB.
    >This is pretty much the same aircraft model used by Boeing for the test. I
    >know its slightly lighter than the test plane but not much, I just couldn't
    >be bothered going back into the load manager again.

    Geoff..

    100klbs is `all-up' for the 700NG? 119klbs is rather lite for the 722
    Also.. the field is EL >7000 ft (is that PA?) .. maybe ok for the new
    engine technologies. :) '60s era engines ???

    used `clear all weather' (Std Atm?) did you notice OAT at field 7000'?

    >The take off was OK although you use quite a lot of the runway, and I
    >haven't even tried it with one engine yet.

    btw..feel guilty for possibly commandeering the thread..but having fun

    Since the Boeing link described Flaps 5.. got the bright idea of using
    Flaps 5 for the 722.. and almost ran out of runway as you mentioned!!
    Here's a view coming out [of there] along route A. (nice adverse yaw)

    http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_119k.jpg (129k)

    >Anyway I did land back at runway 33 after doing a circuit and I took a video
    >(not great quality) of my effort
    >http://flightdirector.whatthelenssaw.co.uk/clip/ (right click and save the
    >mpg). I hope I am not opening myself up to a load of embarrassment here as I
    >don't normally land with quite the same technique and alarms. I'm sure if
    >Oskar hears all the cockpit alarms he will report me to the authorities.

    saved the mpeg but Win Media Player couldn't retrieve a decoder. :[

    >I do think this approach highlights one of the significant drawbacks of our
    >beloved FS, namely that spatial awareness is not as good as real life. In
    >this example I probably gave myself too much clearance of the ground on
    >approach resulting in a steep descent at the end.

    yep.. see the pic below.. testflight went up route A turning right at
    the top BEFORE reaching the Tibetan Plateau (+15,000') to FL290
    crossing back over the field: (scrn-shot in Slew Mode)

    http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_AvsB.jpg

    this time with MUCH better mesh and display tweaks!! Anyway came
    down n'around with 5 y/o FO Pansnecki for the landing. It wasn't any-
    thing to record on video.. but made it ok. Crossed from grass onto the
    runway from L-R a bit and braked to the end.. stop.

    -G

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:57:42 -0400, ID wrote:

    > Here's a link to what's supposedly the only SESM photo on the web.
    >
    > http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=529759

    That looks like a scene from The A-Team. :-))

    --

    Marcel (SAG-21)
    (...travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!)

    Hi Gregory,

    Well, if we're lucky, Captain Wagner might have a crack at it, and pass
    on a few more tips?

    I think us fighter guys are banned from there, as we only get in the
    way! :-)

    Regards,
    John Ward
    > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:12:09 +1000, "John Ward"
    > <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >>Hi Gregory,
    >>
    >> I'm betting you've achieved both A and B, successfully.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>JW
    >
    > John.. you have a fine ability to `read between the lines'.. or see
    > the `story behind the story'. It's an excellent comment to post. Have
    > been able to come out of there along route A (in Std Atm) at 119klbs
    > GW.. and also the opposite direction heading south. At 130klbs GTW
    > had to push the engines hard and barely made it.
    >
    > Along route B however.. could not reasonable get out of there. It just
    > seems nuts. Maybe one who knows more could try it and reply back.
    > Best to have boB come in with the chopper.. or perhaps some of guys
    > with their fighters!! :)
    >
    > -G
    >
    >>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:51:13 GMT, "Matteo V" <matteo@aquastudium.com>
    >>> brought the following to our attention:

    >>> How about Paro Bhutan..
    >>>
    >>> http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_depart.jpg
    >>>

    >>> -G

    Gregory

    I am slightly confused by the "100klbs is `all-up' for the 700NG? "
    statement. The max take off weight on the 700 is over 150kLBs. Maybe I
    misunderstood your point.

    I'm just uploading an AVI version of the file to that directory, bigger but
    maybe more standard for you.

    I did a take off with the 744 from Paro earlier but have not managed to land
    yet. I really don't think you would do that with passengers or a real
    plane!!

    I did the engine fail thing at V1 which is a PMDG option and crashed every
    time, although this was part of the Boeing demo as far as I understand.. I
    would be interested to know if anyone achieved this with the PMDG plane.

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:14:49 +0100, "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >Gregory
    >
    >I am slightly confused by the "100klbs is `all-up' for the 700NG? " statement.
    >The max take off weight on the 700 is over 150kLBs. Maybe I misunderstood
    >your point.

    Apologies.. I misunderstood, and also a typo. `All up' was taken
    to mean `loaded'. Typo, should be "110klbs is `all-up'.." Sounded
    awfully light. How could anyone haul any kind of payload out of
    there?? { grin }

    >I'm just uploading an AVI version of the file to that directory, bigger but
    >maybe more standard for you.

    That plays just fine, Thank You.. it took only ~1min 55sec to
    retrieve. You did a much better job of landing than I [did] last
    night. Also saw framerates in the 9 fps range in AVI. probably
    the same as here but don't pay attention to rate anymore. :)

    Cheers,

    -Gregory

> [...]
    >> >beloved FS, namely that spatial awareness is not as good as real life. In
    >> >this example I probably gave myself too much clearance of the ground on
    >> >approach resulting in a steep descent at the end.
    >>

    >> yep.. see the pic below.. testflight went up route A turning right at
    >> the top BEFORE reaching the Tibetan Plateau (+15,000') to FL290
    >> crossing back over the field: (scrn-shot in Slew Mode)
    >>
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_AvsB.jpg
    >>

    >> this time with MUCH better mesh and display tweaks!! Anyway came
    >> down n'around with 5 y/o FO Pansnecki for the landing. It wasn't any-
    >> thing to record on video.. but made it ok. Crossed from grass onto the
    >> runway from L-R a bit and braked to the end.. stop.
    >>
    >> -G
    >>
    >> >Anyway it was fun and the scenery up there is great, I must go to that part

    Gregory,

    The weight gave me 75 PAX. As for the FPS it gets murdered when you run
    FRAPS to capture video at the same time. I normally get better than that,
    around
    15 - 19.

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> Since the Boeing link described Flaps 5.. got the bright idea of using
    > >> Flaps 5 for the 722.. and almost ran out of runway as you mentioned!!
    > >> Here's a view coming out [of there] along route A. (nice adverse yaw)
    > >>
    > >> http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_119k.jpg (129k)

    > >> saved the mpeg but Win Media Player couldn't retrieve a decoder. :[

    In

    > >> yep.. see the pic below.. testflight went up route A turning right at
    > >> the top BEFORE reaching the Tibetan Plateau (+15,000') to FL290
    > >> crossing back over the field: (scrn-shot in Slew Mode)
    > >>
    > >> http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Paro_AvsB.jpg
    > >>

    > >> this time with MUCH better mesh and display tweaks!! Anyway came
    > >> down n'around with 5 y/o FO Pansnecki for the landing. It wasn't any-
    > >> thing to record on video.. but made it ok. Crossed from grass onto the
    > >> runway from L-R a bit and braked to the end.. stop.

Games Microsoft Video Games