DDR3 - what do we know yet?

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Memory makers are working on it.
On some roadmaps it shows up as early as Q4 2006 - there have also been some samples at Computex.

"Although DDR3 capable motherboards are not available at this time, the majority of memory suppliers will have DDR3 capable modules ready for sale by Q4 of this year. In our discussions with Intel, they indicated certain chipsets will utilize this memory starting in 2007."
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2777&p=7

sp6yd6er6

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Oh man... Ican only imagine how badass a 2-4 gb system would run using DDR3 memory, cinsidering how big of an improvement it has given today's video cards.
If I could get my (filthy) hands on this good sh*t within the next year... forget about the DDR2 boards.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
If I could get my (filthy) hands on this good sh*t within the next year... forget about the DDR2 boards.
Yeah, this would make ddr2 pretty much obsolote.
It looks like it has the advantages of both (low latencies and high frequencies), and even more of it.

However, I'm afraid it'll need a new board, and be more expensive.

sp6yd6er6

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
fuggit man... This couldn't be any sooner than a year before one could be on the market/ worth the risk of early release nightmares, so even if they release it then... start saving man.