Just scored a used FX 60 how do I dual core?

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
As detailed above I'm about to "make the jump" to dual core. The price was too good for me not to bite on it and wait till Conroe. This is my current rig:

AMD Athlon 64Fx-53
ATI X850 XT
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
2 Gig of Patriot 3200 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 0
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN Thermaltake Silentboost K8
Cooler Master Wave Master Case
Antec NeoPower 480 Watt PSU
SB Audigy 2Z Platinum Sound Card
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1 Wide Flat Panel

I know I have to:
Upgrade the bios
Upgrade the driver

But is there anything else I need to do. I'd like to save myself some hassle...

Da Worfster

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Not much. I'm assuming you've built before (your current rig).

Just remove the heatsink, clean off both the heatsink, old chip, and new chip, and set both aside.

Place the FX-60 in the socket, apply Arctic Silver V according to the directions on the site, then place the heatsink back on and latch it.

Next, download the dual core patch for Windows, install it, and let the games begin.

A reformat and a clean install of everything will make everything feel smoother and more stable - I would suggest doing that, making sure the latest drivers for everything are installed. It would also make sure your RAID array is squeaky clean (or is it bad when hard drives squeak?).

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well first you need the windows xp hotfix, then you will need the amd patch, probably a bios update depending on your board. Its too much too explain in detail. I would suggest you pick up the June 2006 issue of maximum pc. It has an article called "dual core survival guide. It explains in detail what you need step by step and how to troubleshoot issues. Good luck.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks for the information. There seems to be some debate about the Windows patch. Some say that if you've SP2 and the latest drivers, you should be alright. But I'll be prepared to do the Regedit hack if necessary.

Da Worfster

phaxmohdem

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Also if you installed WinXP on a single Core CPU, it may only read one core of your new chip at first..... YOu may need to reset the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) to "Multiprocessor PC" to enable the second core in Windows.

This is easy to do, simply:
- go to your "system Properties" control panel,
- click on the hardware tab
- go to device manager
- Click on the plus sign next to "Computer" in the list
- Right click on ACPI Uniprocessor PC and go to "Update Driver" (If it says Multiprocessor PC you don't need to do anything... you're good to go.)
- Select "Install from a list of specific location (advanced)"
- Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" & Click next
- Select "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" from the list and click Next to finish up installing this driver.

May have to reboot afterwards, but your PC will now be ready to roll with dual cores.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
As detailed above I'm about to "make the jump" to dual core. The price was too good for me not to bite on it and wait till Conroe. This is my current rig:

AMD Athlon 64Fx-53
ATI X850 XT
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A

I know I have to:
Upgrade the bios
Upgrade the driver

Da Worfster

duuh, I can't believe i said that. What you have to do is Flash the BIOS first. Then go into XP with the FX53 installed. Start XP Setup. before Textmode setup, turn off the machine and replace the chips. Setup will load drivers for MultiProc.

The only other way to do it is to REINSTALL Clean.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Also if you installed WinXP on a single Core CPU, it may only read one core of your new chip at first..... YOu may need to reset the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) to "Multiprocessor PC" to enable the second core in Windows.

This is easy to do, simply:
- go to your "system Properties" control panel,
- click on the hardware tab
- go to device manager
- Click on the plus sign next to "Computer" in the list
- Right click on ACPI Uniprocessor PC and go to "Update Driver" (If it says Multiprocessor PC you don't need to do anything... you're good to go.)
- Select "Install from a list of specific location (advanced)"
- Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" & Click next
- Select "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" from the list and click Next to finish up installing this driver.

May have to reboot afterwards, but your PC will now be ready to roll with dual cores.

I wouldn't try it that way. If XP sees a multiproc CPU and you have a single proc HAL, it will blue screen. Start Setup with the FX53 and replace it before txt mode. That is the official Windows method.

phaxmohdem

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I've done the above dozens of times to a wide variety of computers and processor types and never had a BSOD problem, but I guess I also can't rule out that possibility.

Reinstalling Windows with your Dual Core Proc installed is probably the most advisable way to do it, but I'll still stand behind my previous suggestion, as it has not let me down yet.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Okay here's what happened:

1. I installed the new processor..

2. Machine booted me to bios update.

3. I updated the entries.

4. Machine booted to Windows XP Pro

5. Windows updated itself.

6. I installed AMD dual drivers.

7. I rebooted.

8. Device manager shows TWO AMD FX 60 Dual Core Processors.

9 Machine seems to be running fine..

Question how do I see if I'm running both simultaneously?

Thanks in advance..

Da Worfster

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I've done the above dozens of times to a wide variety of computers and processor types and never had a BSOD problem, but I guess I also can't rule out that possibility.

Reinstalling Windows with your Dual Core Proc installed is probably the most advisable way to do it, but I'll still stand behind my previous suggestion, as it has not let me down yet.

Procs/HALs may get away with it. You can try just loading ntkrnlmp thru DevMgr - Update Driver for "Computer". I just got really used to always "cleaning" the install by doing an inplace upgrade.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Cost me $650.00 delivered. I'll churn it when I upgrade... Anyone want a used FX-53? It's in good condition.

LOL

I'll put it on ebay, if I can't find a buyer offline.

Da Worfster

RichPLS

Champion

AMD Athlon 64Fx-53
ATI X850 XT
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A

I know I have to:
Upgrade the bios
Upgrade the driver

Da Worfster

duuh, I can't believe i said that. What you have to do is Flash the BIOS first. Then go into XP with the FX53 installed. Start XP Setup. before Textmode setup, turn off the machine and replace the chips. Setup will load drivers for MultiProc.

Said what?!? Is one of your alternate identities MrsD?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

AMD Athlon 64Fx-53
ATI X850 XT
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A

I know I have to:
Upgrade the bios
Upgrade the driver

Da Worfster

Said what?!? Is one of your alternate identities MrsD?

Something that I deleted after reading it.