Does anyone make a gadget to share a USB printer ?

Is there a 2 or 4 input box that would let several PCs contend for one
printer ?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
9 answers Last reply
More about does make gadget share printer

    Print Server?

    > Is there a 2 or 4 input box that would let several PCs contend for one
    > printer ?
    >
    > --
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >
    > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Best bet is to have your computers on a network.
    Then you can share out the printer over the network.

    Best technique is to attach a wired/wireless print server device
    to the printer (D-Link and LinkSys make good ones). Best because
    the printer's always available no matter which computers are turned
    on.

    Okay technique is to have the printer attached to a computer,
    and share it out from there. The drawback with that technique
    is that the attaching computer has to be on for you to be able
    to print.

    -- stan

    In article <i7e4e.7899$FN4.6379@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    Stanley Krute <stan@stankrute.com> wrote:
    >Best bet is to have your computers on a network.
    >Then you can share out the printer over the network.
    >
    >Best technique is to attach a wired/wireless print server device
    >to the printer (D-Link and LinkSys make good ones). Best because
    >the printer's always available no matter which computers are turned
    >on.
    >
    >Okay technique is to have the printer attached to a computer,
    >and share it out from there. The drawback with that technique
    >is that the attaching computer has to be on for you to be able
    >to print.
    >
    >-- stan

    I'm _very_ familiar with print servers. Is there a USB box that works
    like the Centronics print sharing devices of the Bad Old Days. Not
    that I ever loved them, but they did have a place.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Hi Al

    > I'm _very_ familiar with print servers.

    Okay.

    > Is there a USB box that works
    > like the Centronics print sharing devices of the Bad Old Days.

    Yep. Here's one:

    http://www.qvs.com/switch-usb.asp

    -- stan

    Hi again

    Here's a Belkin that does the job:

    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=1561

    -- stan

    On 3 Apr 2005 13:50:15 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >Is there a 2 or 4 input box that would let several PCs contend for one
    >printer ?

    A shop here sells a 4 Port Router that has a USB printer port fitted..

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4251d57f070305742740c0a87f990680/Product/View/XH1151

    "Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com> wrote in message
    > Best bet is to have your computers on a network.
    > Then you can share out the printer over the network.
    >
    > Best technique is to attach a wired/wireless print server device
    > to the printer (D-Link and LinkSys make good ones). Best because
    > the printer's always available no matter which computers are turned
    > on.
    >
    > Okay technique is to have the printer attached to a computer,
    > and share it out from there. The drawback with that technique
    > is that the attaching computer has to be on for you to be able
    > to print.
    >
    > -- stan

    Odd I find that my printer needs to be on for me to be able to print too.
    LOL

    On the network point I have a good computer and old computer and a really
    old computer and a laptop set up on a home network. The printers (inkjet &
    laser) are connected to the new computer and the others share it works
    great. I would highly recommend Stans setup. I got a Microsoft network hub
    has a hardwired firewall. I just plugged it in and went form computer to
    computer to install. My internet goes into it too so the plug and play part
    of it connected to the internet and self installed the router I guess it is
    called. Then I just allowed printer sharing on the new computer and then
    set up the printers on the other computers through printer setup. The whole
    thing took around an hour to do with 4 computers and 2 printers.

    Hope that helps.

    gary wrote:

    > "Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>Okay technique is to have the printer attached to a computer,
    >>and share it out from there. The drawback with that technique
    >>is that the attaching computer has to be on for you to be able
    >>to print.
    >>
    >>-- stan
    >

    > Odd I find that my printer needs to be on for me to be able to print too.
    > LOL

    Did you read the above before you made comment?????????????????

    And the key words are "the attaching computer has to be on"

    > Hope that helps.

    A little humor there. Now pull the broomstick out of your a**.

    "Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message
    > gary wrote:
    >
    >> "Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Okay technique is to have the printer attached to a computer,
    >>>and share it out from there. The drawback with that technique
    >>>is that the attaching computer has to be on for you to be able
    >>>to print.
    >>>
    >>>-- stan
    >>

    >> Odd I find that my printer needs to be on for me to be able to print too.
    >> LOL
    >>

    > Did you read the above before you made comment?????????????????
    >
    > And the key words are "the attaching computer has to be on"

    >> Hope that helps.

Printers Gadgets USB Peripherals