HELP...lost product ID

Hi.....My whole computer crashed..so I had to restore it
to its factory default..I need to have xp pro and office
pro on my computer for school...but I lost the product
IDs...what can I do?? My university won't give me another
office or windows xp disk and I have a paper and
presentation that needs turned in on monday..and I can't
open them or edit it...so does anyone know what I do if I
lose my product id?? Please help!
8 answers Last reply
More about help lost product

    Dezeree wrote:
    > Hi.....My whole computer crashed..so I had to restore it
    > to its factory default..I need to have xp pro and office
    > pro on my computer for school...but I lost the product
    > IDs...what can I do?? My university won't give me another
    > office or windows xp disk and I have a paper and
    > presentation that needs turned in on monday..and I can't
    > open them or edit it...so does anyone know what I do if I
    > lose my product id?? Please help!

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
    installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    count on having both at once. - RAH

    It sounds like you have restored your computer so have an operating system
    running, is that correct? You just need a way to open your presentation to
    edit it, right? But you don't have Office XP or MS Word to work with. If
    this is so then download OpenOffice. It is free but 50MB d/l so you need a
    fast connection. It will open MS Word documents, edit them and save them
    again as MS documents http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.2/index.html

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Dezeree" <dmh26@msn.com>
    wrote in news:121701c4a32a$1a2c47c0$a501280a@phx.gbl:
    > My university won't give me another
    > office or windows xp disk ...

    Wow, a school that gives away software that they had to pay for. Not
    likely. If they "loaned" you a license then you'll have to get the
    install media and product key from them. But they how did YOU ever
    manage to get the software installed without the product key in the
    first place, you know, the bright orange sticker that is on the jewel
    case, CD wallet, paper sleeve, or whatever the install media came in?
    Threw it away? Well, back to school again to beg with them. Sounds
    suspiciously like you stole the software, been using it for awhile, and
    now after a system recovery the school won't "give" you the software.

    If you are unwilling to pay for the software which you use on your
    computer for your work then get something free, like OpenOffice.

    Actually, many schools are subscribed to programs that allow them to
    distribute Windows, Office, or Visual Studios to their students for free.
    The student gets a copy of the install disks, and has to send for a Product
    Key through a secure web site. Obviously, this student (assuming this is a
    student) did not save the email with PK on it, and the school is usually on
    a "one to a customer" rule, nor can they assist with lost PK's. It's still
    the user's fault for not properly caring for this data, but the
    circumstances are a bit different.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
    > "Dezeree" <dmh26@msn.com>
    > wrote in news:121701c4a32a$1a2c47c0$a501280a@phx.gbl:
    >> My university won't give me another
    >> office or windows xp disk ...
    >
    > Wow, a school that gives away software that they had to pay for. Not
    > likely. If they "loaned" you a license then you'll have to get the
    > install media and product key from them. But they how did YOU ever manage
    > to get the software installed without the product key in the first place,
    > you know, the bright orange sticker that is on the jewel case, CD wallet,
    > paper sleeve, or whatever the install media came in? Threw it away? Well,
    > back to school again to beg with them. Sounds suspiciously like you stole
    > the software, been using it for awhile, and now after a system recovery
    > the school won't "give" you the software.
    >
    > If you are unwilling to pay for the software which you use on your
    > computer for your work then get something free, like OpenOffice.

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    As others have pointed out, any documents you didn't have
    backed up to floppies, USB drives, Zip disks or whatever
    are in serious jeopardy. They may be recoverable with
    third party software - available at computer stores or
    office product superstores - but that's not something to
    rely on.

    For using XP and Office XP until you get this
    straightened out, your fastest way is to find a computer
    you can use in the meantime. If you don't have a friend
    or friend-of-a-friend you can lean on, you may be able to
    rent one for a week. My daughter's university has a study
    area with properly configured computers - maybe yours has
    one, too. You might have to wait in line and the hours
    are not what you'd choose, but you have your hat in hand
    now.

    Mike

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
    wrote in news:uP1vNW2oEHA.3172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    > Actually, many schools are subscribed to programs that allow them to
    > distribute Windows, Office, or Visual Studios to their students for
    > free. The student gets a copy of the install disks, and has to send
    > for a Product Key through a secure web site. Obviously, this student
    > (assuming this is a student) did not save the email with PK on it,
    > and the school is usually on a "one to a customer" rule, nor can they
    > assist with lost PK's. It's still the user's fault for not properly
    > caring for this data, but the circumstances are a bit different.

    It was my understanding that the schools still had to track the licenses
    (i.e., they don't get permission to distribute an unlimited number of
    licenses). However, in this case, it appears the license tracking is
    being done by Microsoft.

    What seems peculiar is that this "student" could not get another product
    key using the scheme you mentioned. Since it was a restore (which was
    probably a disk image to "restore to factory default"). I would doubt
    that every CD dispensed by the school is encoded with a unique key for
    just that CD. They're probably all the same CDs for all students that
    get them. So why wouldn't a fresh install of Office on a fresh install
    of Windows allow the user to get a new product key? After all, it could
    be a new computer you bought, you wiped the old one, and you're putting
    Office on the new computer. Of course, the OP never did mention what
    happened when they tried to get a new product key (not from school who
    apparently refused but when using the secure web site).

    With a little time as there remains for this highly critical document
    needed by Monday, the OP better head to the library (if still open) and
    see if they have Office installed for him to open the files, or use some
    other program that can read and update his Office files.

    A Sharpie permanent marker and writing the product key on the CD sure
    helps prevent from losing it. If you lose the CD, too, then the problem
    won't be about not having the product key but instead about not having
    the *product*.

    Hi,

    Yes, the schools still need to track the licenses they distribute as far as
    I know. The CD's are generally a burned copy, they are not tied to any one
    specific product key. At a guess, I'd say this student is no longer in a
    class or program that qualifies him/her for the student copy (I know the
    college I attend distributes VS only to comp tech students, and Office only
    to CIS students), so he/she is now on his/her own. I agree that the library
    will be their best bet at this point. At any rate, this dilemma has arised
    solely due to the lack of foresite on the part of the user.

    --

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
    > wrote in news:uP1vNW2oEHA.3172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    >> Actually, many schools are subscribed to programs that allow them to
    >> distribute Windows, Office, or Visual Studios to their students for
    >> free. The student gets a copy of the install disks, and has to send
    >> for a Product Key through a secure web site. Obviously, this student
    >> (assuming this is a student) did not save the email with PK on it,
    >> and the school is usually on a "one to a customer" rule, nor can they
    >> assist with lost PK's. It's still the user's fault for not properly
    >> caring for this data, but the circumstances are a bit different.
    >
    > It was my understanding that the schools still had to track the licenses
    > (i.e., they don't get permission to distribute an unlimited number of
    > licenses). However, in this case, it appears the license tracking is
    > being done by Microsoft.
    >
    > What seems peculiar is that this "student" could not get another product
    > key using the scheme you mentioned. Since it was a restore (which was
    > probably a disk image to "restore to factory default"). I would doubt
    > that every CD dispensed by the school is encoded with a unique key for
    > just that CD. They're probably all the same CDs for all students that get
    > them. So why wouldn't a fresh install of Office on a fresh install of
    > Windows allow the user to get a new product key? After all, it could be a
    > new computer you bought, you wiped the old one, and you're putting Office
    > on the new computer. Of course, the OP never did mention what happened
    > when they tried to get a new product key (not from school who apparently
    > refused but when using the secure web site).
    >
    > With a little time as there remains for this highly critical document
    > needed by Monday, the OP better head to the library (if still open) and
    > see if they have Office installed for him to open the files, or use some
    > other program that can read and update his Office files.
    >
    > A Sharpie permanent marker and writing the product key on the CD sure
    > helps prevent from losing it. If you lose the CD, too, then the problem
    > won't be about not having the product key but instead about not having the
    > *product*.

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

  8. :non: if you do a search on your disk IE: SEARCH FOR unattend.txt,
    you will find a unique key that should work

Windows XP Computers Office Factory Restore