Sign in with
Your question

Is SATA II worth it? (3GB/sec)

Last response: in Storage
June 19, 2006 7:03:35 PM

IS Sata II worth it?.................if it is....I'm currently building a rig (max
price. 1500$)

THe Hard Drive I have in mind is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

I was wondering if there's anything that can beat it in price/performance
ratio.....................

of course, the parts are from newegg...

Cooler Master Cavalier 3 silver case
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATAII NCQ 160 GB HD
LG L1980Q 19" LCD
Asus A8N-E Sock. 939 nforce ultra
eVGA geforce 7900 GT CO 256 MB GDDR3 PCIe (500mhz/1500mhz)
Enermax Noisetaker 485 W PSU
Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
Corsair XMS 2GB DDR SDRAM
AMD Athlon64 3700+ SanDiego CPU

Thanks

If you find a HD thats better, suggestions are gladly received XD
I would like to stick with 160 GB and SATA II!!!

More about : sata worth 3gb sec

June 19, 2006 11:45:58 PM

I Also Have A Question..... I Currently Have A WD800 (80GB Special Edition, 7200RPM, 8MB Cache, PATA/100) And I Want To Increase Drive Space (And Speed) Thus Im Going To Go RAID (Note: Only My SATA Supports RAID Unless Im Mistaken) But I Have Three Options:

1. Buy A Second PATA/100 WD800 And Use Two SATA To PATA Adapters
2. Buy A Second SATA WD800 And Use One SATA To PATA Adapter
3. Buy Two Fast But Cheap SATA Drives (They Hafta Be Western Digitals) And Make Sell/Give My Old WD800 To Someone Else, But Id Hate Ta Do That Its Stiill A Capable, Reliable And Very Fast Drive)

Id Prefer Option 1 But Ive Heard That Adapters Can Be Unreliable
June 20, 2006 7:31:50 AM

Quote:
I Also Have A Question..... I Currently Have A WD800 (80GB Special Edition, 7200RPM, 8MB Cache, PATA/100) And I Want To Increase Drive Space (And Speed) Thus Im Going To Go RAID (Note: Only My SATA Supports RAID Unless Im Mistaken) But I Have Three Options:

3. Buy Two Fast But Cheap SATA Drives (They Hafta Be Western Digitals) And Make Sell/Give My Old WD800 To Someone Else, But Id Hate Ta Do That Its Stiill A Capable, Reliable And Very Fast Drive)

Quit thread crapping. You asked this question in your own thread on june 14. :roll:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
Related resources
June 20, 2006 7:57:16 AM

Quote:
IS Sata II worth it?.................if it is....I'm currently building a rig (max
price. 1500$)

THe Hard Drive I have in mind is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

I was wondering if there's anything that can beat it in price/performance
ratio.....................

of course, the parts are from newegg...

Cooler Master Cavalier 3 silver case
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATAII NCQ 160 GB HD
LG L1980Q 19" LCD
Asus A8N-E Sock. 939 nforce ultra
eVGA geforce 7900 GT CO 256 MB GDDR3 PCIe (500mhz/1500mhz)
Enermax Noisetaker 485 W PSU
Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
Corsair XMS 2GB DDR SDRAM
AMD Athlon64 3700+ SanDiego CPU

Thanks

If you find a HD thats better, suggestions are gladly received XD
I would like to stick with 160 GB and SATA II!!!
There's not much in the way of performance benefits, but there's also no disadvantage to buying a SATA 3.0G drive. It's, as they say, the way of the future. If they're of similar price, i'd pick a SATA2 drive over a SATA. What "IS" looking interesting is Perpendicular Recording. THAT'S more the way of the future. :) 
June 20, 2006 8:42:48 AM

if you want to set up a raid array the best thing to do is to buy to identical sata drives and use a raid 0 configuration. i've seen how adaptors perform and they are crap. onboard raid with sata drives is what you should use.
June 20, 2006 9:50:04 AM

Quote:

hoW diD yoU geT intO thE annoyinG habiT oF writinG thE firsT letteR oF alL wordS iN CAPS? I'M jusT wonderinG hoW yoU coulD thinK thaT thiS iS A gooD ideA.

I'm assuming it is actually a habit, and habits are usually difficult to break, but I really think you should try to break this one. It really makes your posts less readable. The brain is not used to seeing writing like this, and it will create lots of start/stops and confusion.
June 20, 2006 10:01:10 AM

Quote:

hoW diD yoU geT intO thE annoyinG habiT oF writinG thE firsT letteR oF alL wordS iN CAPS? I'M jusT wonderinG hoW yoU coulD thinK thaT thiS iS A gooD ideA.

I'm assuming it is actually a habit, and habits are usually difficult to break, but I really think you should try to break this one. It really makes your posts less readable. The brain is not used to seeing writing like this, and it will create lots of start/stops and confusion.I have that habit too, but i've been keeping it under control. And i have no idea where i picked it up from. :?

PS...This was very funny. >>hoW diD yoU geT intO thE annoyinG habiT oF writinG thE firsT letteR oF alL wordS iN CAPS? I'M jusT wonderinG hoW yoU coulD thinK thaT thiS iS A gooD ideA. :D 

:
June 20, 2006 5:03:15 PM

Its Just My Way, And I Am Who I Am And Thats How I Type, Please, Get Used To It Because Its Not Gonna Change. Sorry

Can Anyone Reccomend Any Good, Fast, And Cheap SATA Drives From WD?
June 20, 2006 5:49:32 PM

WTF HEllada, do you have a problem, or can't you see that this is MY thread?
June 20, 2006 6:25:03 PM

Quote:
Its Just My Way, And I Am Who I Am And Thats How I Type, Please, Get Used To It Because Its Not Gonna Change. Sorry

Well, actually I don't have to do anything. If this is what you need to do to make yourself feel special, just go ahead. I'm sure you are quite 'special'. When writing on paper, do get out your 28 colour crayon box and write every letter in it's own special pretty colour?
June 20, 2006 6:26:24 PM

Quote:
IS Sata II worth it?

Let me start off by saying that there is no such thing as "SATA 2".
It is a marketing ploy and not a offical computter standard.

As for speed....ATA,SATA,SATA2 are interfaces and can not make the HD itself run any faster.
The fastest Raptor can only substain 84mbps,so a ATA interface has more bandwith than the fastest drive.

Z
June 20, 2006 6:27:40 PM

PLeaseeee - i need good info, not arrogant egotists' replies...
June 20, 2006 6:59:36 PM

Quote:
IS Sata II worth it?

Let me start off by saying that there is no such thing as "SATA 2".
It is a marketing ploy and not a offical computter standard.

As for speed....ATA,SATA,SATA2 are interfaces and can not make the HD itself run any faster.
The fastest Raptor can only substain 84mbps,so a ATA interface has more bandwith than the fastest drive.

Z

this is a good reply...and is factual
June 20, 2006 7:01:03 PM

I waa talking about the other guys...............anyway, back on topic...please:) 
June 20, 2006 7:07:57 PM

Quote:

Well, I would go ffor a Western Digital drive for reliability reasons. I have recently had issues with both Seagate and Maxtor drives. I have heard much less complaints about WD drives, so for this reason alone, that is my recommendation. As for SATA I or SATA II, yeah you're probably not going to see any massive differences. On the other hand, the price difference isn't really a factor, and with SATA II you get higher interface bandwidth and NCQ, why choose the older technology?
June 20, 2006 7:42:16 PM

I recently purchased a SATA II drive, and I really can't see any difference between SATA & SATA II. However, SATA II is more future-proof, and it seems like a good price on that HD from newegg. There isn't much of a price difference between SATA & SATA II, so I'd say go for SATAII. Good luck.
June 20, 2006 9:17:17 PM

thats like saying lets get 16GB over 8GB of RAM when all you need is 2GB
June 20, 2006 10:05:01 PM

If you really want to do raid you should buy an addon card, onboard raid is usually very limited lik 0, 1, 0+1 .
If thats all you care about then motherboard raid is fine as long as you dont mind it consuming cpu cycles for parity and such which a decent addon card would offload for you. In some cases it may consume as much as 40% cpu time on a 2ghz athlon. I saw an article on this recently but cant remember the link.

As for getting rid of the other drive why dont you just keep it instead ?
Use it for storage or load the os on it and load your time sensitive apps on the raid partition.
June 20, 2006 10:55:33 PM

I've got the 250Gb version of that seagate drive. I reckon it's quite good, nice and quiet, pretty quick and i haven't had any issues. As far as sata II goes i'm not really sure you'd notice any difference, though in my case it was a few pounds cheaper than the sata equivalant
June 20, 2006 11:06:53 PM

Quote:
If you really want to do raid you should buy an addon card, onboard raid is usually very limited lik 0, 1, 0+1 .
If thats all you care about then motherboard raid is fine as long as you dont mind it consuming cpu cycles for parity and such which a decent addon card would offload for you. In some cases it may consume as much as 40% cpu time on a 2ghz athlon. I saw an article on this recently but cant remember the link.

As for getting rid of the other drive why dont you just keep it instead ?
Use it for storage or load the os on it and load your time sensitive apps on the raid partition.

Why would you want to load the OS on a slow drive, it would definitely affect boot times. Also the OS is in use ALL the time, and keeping the OS on a slow drive could thus affect time sensitive applications. You won't even be saved by keeping a paging file on a faster disk, because OS file pages would never be paged out to the paging file, they are always read from the system disk as needed. For some people and some specific situations it might be a good allocation of resources to put the OS on a slower drive, since every situation is unique to some extent, but I don't think it is a good general suggestion. A slower drive could be OK for backup or storage of files you wouldn't access very often. It would be OK to use a dedicated faster disk or RAID array as a data disk for very I/O intensive applications, but otherwise you might as well stick the OS and programs on your fastest drive.
June 20, 2006 11:21:22 PM

If you read my post you will see my first suggestion was to use it for storage IE backup etc... Some people do it that way however so that in the event of a problem with the raid array they will not be forced to reinstall windoze for example. Or upgrading the os can be problematic on a raid partition although this is getting better. Especially when they go for pure speed.

Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance. If one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.
June 20, 2006 11:32:17 PM

I looked for SATAII 10K RPM drives on newegg the other day and I don't remember seeing them. For now it seems their mutually exclusive?
June 21, 2006 1:42:01 AM

guys, is this HD good enough for my rig or nt? :) 

Is there any better ones than it (SATA II and 160 GB)

Andddddd, do you think i would be better off getting a 10000RPM raptor sata150 than a sata II 7200 RPM?
June 21, 2006 2:14:29 AM

Performance wise there is very little difference between SATA-150 and SATA-300, since thte hard drive itself is the limiting factor.

Price wise, SATA-300 or II or whatever you want to call it is worth is becuase it does not cot more, and is often cheaper that SATA-150 Drives. I think that drive will be decent for you rig as a middle of the road drive.

I myself prefer a raptor for the OS and 1 or more large drives for data and non I/O intensive programs.
June 21, 2006 2:32:22 AM

Quote:

You have received accurate, honest replies. Period. Your attitude is arrogant in my opinion.

To reiterate: At this point in time, there is no advantage buying a SATA II hard drive with regards to the I vs. II interface. And don't talk about future-proofing. Today's SATA II HD will not magically get faster in the future.
June 21, 2006 2:33:42 AM

IS there any better ones (160 GB/SATA II) HDs though, or is this Seagate the best out of them?
June 21, 2006 2:37:05 AM

unless your buying a pair of raptors and doing raid 0 your not gonna exceed sata 1 speeds, sata 2 is just plain not needed yet, hard drives arent fast enough. the 10k drive is gonna be quite a bit faster.
June 21, 2006 2:46:51 AM

sorry, not trying to sound arrogant, I'm just anxious bout it :( 

and, my former question on top of this...
June 21, 2006 2:53:02 AM

Quote:
sorry, not trying to sound arrogant, I'm just anxious bout it :( 

and, my former question on top of this...

Not a problem. Which former question?
June 21, 2006 2:55:40 AM

IS there any better ones (160 GB/SATA II) HDs though, or is this Seagate the best out of them?

Thanks - I owe you guys for this rig XD
June 21, 2006 3:01:06 AM

Quote:

That'a matter of opinion. Right now, I'd only buy a HD smaller than 250GB if it was a fast drive like a Raptor. Even 400 and 500GB drives are very cost effective these days. I've had good luck with many different HD manufacturers and don't really have a favorite in terms of reliability, but I do like WD's current product line.
June 21, 2006 12:56:14 PM

The "YD" label means that drive has features that are RAID-specific. It will work fine if you are not doing RAID but you may be able to find the same capacity for less bucks by not getting a YD. For example, you can get this 250GB drive for $80:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Damn it, you beat me to the recomendation lol.

Another very nice drive is the Samsung SP2504C. It is a nice little 250GB SATA II drive that is very quite. In term's of reliablility I honestly don't know because this is my first samsung drive.

Just an aside on Raptor drives: Yes they are damned fast but they don't help in loading games faster because the limiting factor is CPU decompresseion. and since I mainly game and starting to do a little security I personaly see no benefit in buying a Raptor.

If you already have a 160GB seagate then there is no real need to buy one (i got lost in reading this thread, silly ppl trying to hijack your thread, then the replies to stop it, lol). However, if you have yet to buy, I would choose WD or if your willing to try a new brand the Samsung drive i mentioned. Both are extremely good, but WD has a longer history (at least with me heh).
June 21, 2006 3:13:31 PM

SATA drives really don't have much difference in performance from PATA drives anyway. I just got mine because of the thinner cables so there could be better airflow in the case
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 29, 2010 12:24:11 AM

Hey guys I know this is an old post if you’re going to go with SATA drives go with solid state hard drive. They are high right now. Here what I was thinking use my old 1TB hard drive to store music and all the programs I need and put the operating system on like a 30 gig solid-state drive. Guys look these drives up they are video on YouTube. They are great no wait time on this. :bounce:  :hello:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
!