no display with new rig - x850xt

squish

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
hi

i bought all of parts for a new computer, and i just finished assembling it.

specs:
mobo: ASUS A8n-sli
CPU: AMD 3500+ Athlon 64
RAM: Corsair XMS 1 GB (512 x 2)
Vid Card: ATI Radeon x850xt 256mb
PSU: Antec Neo-HE 500w
Mon: Samsung 15" VGA
Hard Drives: 2 seagates but not connected (SATA)
Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy (not connected)

i plugged everything in, and then i plug in the monitor VGA cable. i turn on the surge and i turn on the psu. i hit the power button and everything starts up fine; as in the fans spin, lights turn on, the motherboard displays a green light, gpu fan spins. but the monitor just shows a black screen.
its not the monitor's itself thats the problem. i used it for another computer and its fine. please help.

Captain-M

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Check your mobo manual to find the Clear CMOS. It may be detecting video priority AGP/PCI. Is your video card PCI-E or AGP? Are you getting any beeps from the speaker? Check your monitor cable pins are all OK. Dont know if your mem are matched pair. Try one at a time (confirm with your manual first for slot 0 and 1). If you have a volt meter, you should get from you PSU +12V DC, -12V, +5V and -5V. If removing any parts, remember to ground yourself. (Touch your PSU case, while powered off, but plugged in). Worst case, take it back to your vendor.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
ASUS A8N-- boards have had issues lately with burned out RAM and PCIe 16x slots. Try reinserting your video card and make sure its fully seated in the slot. Lastly, I noticed you're using a NeoHE - they been known to have issues with ASUS boards. They've claimed they fixed the problem, but I'm a little skeptical. YOu may have gotten a problem unit, so try swapping in another PSU.

squish

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
im gonna try the clear CMOS thing. im just afraid of the battery thing. i heard you shouldnt take it out. but i will try.

i have a pci-e x16 ati radeon x850xt 256mb

im not hearing anything out of the speakers, no beeps, nothing. i plugged in the tiny cables for that already though. there IS a green light on the motherboard near the bottom.

my lcd samsung 15" monitor isnt the problem because it works fine on my other computer.

i bought the two sticks of 512 ram together, as in (512 x 2) = 1GB on newegg.com

everything else runs quite fine, so i think the 12v 4 pin connector is okay.

squish

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
is there any way i can check if mine is the faulty one? as in burned out slots or if my neo-HE is fixed or not?

squish

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
it was ati, 256mb, looked nice, had pci-e, so i figured why not.

i heard that asus motherboards (or at least the a8n-sli) arent compatible with antec psus or something. anybody know about that?

Captain-M

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Well at least no beep codes (during POST) is OK. I would expect at least one short beep during POST. If faulty memory would give beeps. Green LED on mobo, (power to mobo from supply is good, the mobo is getting voltage). As other member stated about skepticle compatibility. Can you email Asus from another PC and ask if PSU is compatible? With the battery on mobo, if it is the dime-sized one, you can take it out for a minute or so. If you unplug your power and battery, reconnecting both to "factory default settings". I wish there was a way to test your video card. Do you have a friend close by that has a PCI-E slot on their PC?Remember to ground yourself and avoid touching the fingers of the video card. If you can confirm every component works, maybe on another known good system, you should be fine, unless there is an unknown compatibility issue. I find it confusing that all components are new, besides your monitor. After that, im at a loss.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
hi

i bought all of parts for a new computer, and i just finished assembling it.

specs:
mobo: ASUS A8n-sli
CPU: AMD 3500+ Athlon 64
RAM: Corsair XMS 1 GB (512 x 2)
Vid Card: ATI Radeon x850xt 256mb
PSU: Antec Neo-HE 500w
Mon: Samsung 15" VGA
Hard Drives: 2 seagates but not connected (SATA)
Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy (not connected)

i plugged everything in, and then i plug in the monitor VGA cable. i turn on the surge and i turn on the psu. i hit the power button and everything starts up fine; as in the fans spin, lights turn on, the motherboard displays a green light, gpu fan spins. but the monitor just shows a black screen.
its not the monitor's itself thats the problem. i used it for another computer and its fine. please help.

ok dude u need to put another RAM stick in by itself, not the corsair XMS

justy any old ram u have have laying around then u format ,install windows and drivers

after thats done then put the Corsair XMS ram in and it should work
ihad the same problem, the Mobo cant detect Corsiar XMS right i dont klnow why ....

just put other ram in there and u should be able to install windows

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
i bought the 2 sticks of ram new last week!!

alright. i'll ask my friend for his ram and try it out

i had the same problem, i have the sam Motherboard u do and RAM

:wink: just put any old RAM in , the second blue slot and u should be kool

squish

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
oh word. but question: the DIMM B1 blue slot? or the primary slot.

plus my zalman fans kinda in the way. the first stick of ram is stuck between the mobo and my zalman. lol.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
u have to get the other ram out

yeah its going to be a paint :[

looky, this is where u put the "other" stick of ram in to get things runnin

asusa8nslibig8xu.jpg

squish

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
imgonna try it tmrw =) thanks man.

i was gonna try resetting the cmos and stuff. pulling out the battery and whatnot.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
so what do i do now? i got bios to run, but what about my regular ram?

install windows and all that stuff and then
take it out the "old" RAM and install the corsair XMS and u should be kool

be shure everything is set to auto in bios