• Want one!

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Already got one to over 4GHz!

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

Dave_McMahon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
THG recently featued an article about a 4GHz Machine for €600!

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/12/your_diy_gaming_rig_for_720_uk/

Anyway i am trying to track down the case used (Not avaible in the States called the Delux DLC-MG309 Which in the article includied a 520 Watt PSU

1, Where in the U.K can I get the case, or was it modified?

2, Is that PSU any good? It will be used for a SLI+Dual core+Multi drive (RAID 5 or 6) etc etc system.

Dave_McMahon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I would add a 'negative' no but forgot, but maybe you can tell us why a CPU costing $100 that runs at 4GHz (with the correct PSU,RAM,Motherboard etc) is a POS? I thought it was an ordinary PC haha. This machine would be overkill to run up till recipets!

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
It's a POS because:

1. I doubt you'll ever get it to over 4ghz regardless of the article.
2. You will need extreme cooling such as water cooling to do it.
3. For the cost of water cooling you could get a better processor, overclock it on air and have it last more than 1 year.
4. You will draw more power for just the processor than the rest of your system combined.
5. I doubt it will last more than a year before it goes up in smoke.

and no I'm not angry, what I am is tired of newbs coming on the forums after having read that article and wanting to try it themselves with no idea what they are doing then coming back crying about it.

There is also an article where they filled their case with vegetable oil... when you are done oc'ing your 805 can you please fill yours with it too?

Dave_McMahon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah good points, it does concern me that it

1, only has a 533MHz bus.

2, would need special o/c ing ram for the best performance

3, Needs stable motherboard for high speeds and power consumption

4, Would need Seasonic or similar PSU for stablity

5, Electrical costs

6, I know that O/Cing reduces life of silicon but only one year?!

But...

1b, This seems like a fun project

2b, If can be made stable then provides a cheap way of getting performance similar to $500+ processors (so if five $100 P-D805's processors last a year and a $500+ P-EEdition lasts five years it's still the same cost!

2c, As for oil that also is a good idea in limited ways. I think the development of this is perhaps a CPU block similar to a Water cooling CPU that distributes the oil around the hot silicon in a computer.

2d, dont have a P-D805 yet just asking about it.

2e, dont flame me just cos I disagree with you in this post. I'm so bored of people doing that.

Thanks for responses

Dave McMahon

linux_0

Splendid
I agree the 805 is way overhyped.

The power consumption and heat dissipation is krazy, no not crazy, krazy

It might double as a heater in the winter but over the summer your AC bill will be huge.

There are better options which can OC just fine on air.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
But do any of them cost around $100?

Meh, I sit squarely on the fence. On one hand, a $100 chip that can beat an Extreme Edition at a tenth of the cost? But on the other, it's risky. There's no guarantee, express or implied, that every P-D 805 can hit 4 GHz.

Then there's the risky and expensive method of cooling, even if you've never done it before.

Then there's the fact that you need expensive other parts to overclock it.

Then there's the lack of really good motherboards for the socket 775 platform (admit it, you wish there was a motherboard like the A8N-SLI or Lanparty series for Intel).

And if you're shopping for expensive RAM/Motherboard/power supply and going for extreme non-air cooling, you probably aren't looking at $100 CPUs.

linux_0

Splendid
But do any of them cost around $100?

Meh, I sit squarely on the fence. On one hand, a $100 chip that can beat an Extreme Edition at a tenth of the cost? But on the other, it's risky. There's no guarantee, express or implied, that every P-D 805 can hit 4 GHz.

Then there's the risky and expensive method of cooling, even if you've never done it before.

Then there's the fact that you need expensive other parts to overclock it.

Then there's the lack of really good motherboards for the socket 775 platform (admit it, you wish there was a motherboard like the A8N-SLI or Lanparty series for Intel).

And if you're shopping for expensive RAM/Motherboard/power supply and going for extreme non-air cooling, you probably aren't looking at $100 CPUs.

The 805 is no bargain Intel is simply hyping it up because they are desperate to get rid of them.

If you do the math is doesn't make sense.

Sure the CPU might be cheap but if you add up the total system cost an 805 can actually cost you more than a system that OCs better on air.

Dave_McMahon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
After thinking about it (always a good idea) I have to say that the P-D805 is a bad idea, besides I would have to get DDR-2 and a PCI-e GPU just to boot it!

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Of course, in overclocking, nothing is guaranteed. That being said, I bought all the necessary pieces and parts to build something very similar to the setup in Tom's article. My D-805 will run very happily all the way to 4.1GHz on air. I get krazy, not crazy but krazy, load temps at 4.1. Day to day usage, I normally run at 3.9 and change, keeps my load temps down under 65C.

If I were willing to go the rest of the wya and put a decent watercooling setup on the CPU, I'm sure I could break 4.2 and possibly even 4.3, as the chip runs up to 3.8 on reference voltage rock stable (1 week straight Prime95, 2 instances).

So, while the D-805 may in fact be an inefficient, power-sucking chip, it is definitely a good overclocker. Individual mileage may vary, of course. And as a bonus, I have a Conroe-ready system just waiting on a new processor. Can't beat that.

-J

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I'm not saying that if you know what you are getting into it's a bad deal... it's like getting and opty 165 or 170 (which I think are more stable for OCing though) and getting it up to FX60 speeds. I'm just tired of ppl reading that article, becoming excited, buying the crappiest mb, ram and psu along with the 805 then coming on here going "what did i do wrong?"

IF you are going to do this then do it right, IF you do it right it will be expensive, even if you do it right there are no guarantee's to stability now or in the future and the very real possibility of frying not just itself but the rest of your system. Just never made much sense to me to spend the kind of money on a good setup for ram, mb and psu (over $500 easy add good water cooling and it jumps to $800) just to OC a pos processor like the 805.

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Agreed, unless you're building your platform for a future system (read Conroe). However, if you do build the rest of the system right, you can get great performance out of that little chip.

As always with PCs, you can't skimp on the important components. If you do, it'll never be up to snuff.

-J

Dave_McMahon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
THE Set-up

Seasonic S12 600W PSU
Pentium D-805
ASUS Workstation Motherboard (8-phase VRM)
2GB High quality DDR-2 RAM
PCI-X SCSI controller
one Seagate Cheetah 15K for windows
one for Virtual memory
one for photoshop swap drive
one for (BAD) luck (failures)

Raid 5 or 6 arrary with 16 750GB drives!

or get a cheaper hobby!

***I wonder if tyan do a mutl-socket multi PCI-e overclocking enabled Motherboard???*** (Like the K8WE for the S940 Opteron's???)

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I personally don't think that seasonic could handle that, you'd probably have to move up to the PCPower & Cooling 1kW with 70amps on the 12v rail.

Then I would get 4 i-ram drives with 4 - 2gb ecc registered ram sticks for each in Raid0 for my OS (this alone would cost upwards of $6000) would give you a 32gb 3gb/s hard drive for your OS and programs (read games).

klosterdev

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I tried the Pentium D 805 setup, and I found a way to make it even cheaper. As long as your motherboard has a heatsink on the northbridge, you can bring the FSB up to 175 Mhz with a couple sticks of Kingston Value RAM with heatsinks attached to em'. I'll bet I'd have gotten even better performance with some cheap Corsair though. :p

Can't remember what my latency settings were offhand (I'm at work) but I think they were 5-4-4-10 or something around there.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I tried the Pentium D 805 setup, and I found a way to make it even cheaper. As long as your motherboard has a heatsink on the northbridge, you can bring the FSB up to 175 Mhz with a couple sticks of Kingston Value RAM with heatsinks attached to em'. I'll bet I'd have gotten even better performance with some cheap Corsair though. :p

Can't remember what my latency settings were offhand (I'm at work) but I think they were 5-4-4-10 or something around there.

thats retarted.

u could have spent 50 bucks more for a pentium D 820 that is pre clocked at 200Mhz FSB and u could have used even crappier RAM with it.

Dave_McMahon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Whenever i go though my history i am always embrassed! My post in this thread now makes me cringe!

But... I did see the article on Toms and not off the back of a dearest comrade packet so why should i feel embrassed? Can we trust Toms hardware guide or is it dreamland like a visit to a sports car garage?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
God, is this ANOTHEr one of those posts where people think higher Ghz < all. A C2D at 2Ghz will (theoretically) match it in performance. Ultimately it would probably cost less as you wouldn't even need to use anything but the stock HSF.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
8O

Or what? You gonna execute me? I'd like to see y... *Crack* * scraping noises* (struck unconscious by tool's tool [haha!] and dragged off)