Sign in with
Your question

First time builder, easy question

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2006 1:47:33 AM

So I've got all these new parts here...now I just have to put it together, and I'm a little clueless. Do I need to wipe my harddrive and erase the OS before I install the motherboard (i'm carrying over a harddrive)? Its not as easy as just hooking everything up and turning it on is it?

If anyone could direct me to a good tutorial for building, or give me some step by step help, that would be great. I apologize for my ignorance.

Thanks
June 20, 2006 2:30:36 AM

This is what you need to do.

Sometimes, windows can be a dick, and wont work with the new hardware changes, so you'll have to deal with that. I reccomend backing everything up since you might need to reinstall.

<<Optional>>

Download a copy of some sort of LiveCD, it can really help. BartPE is good, but you need to compile it yourself. This will be used to tell you when the compy is working.

Put all the pieces together, sans HDD. Turn it on, with BartPE in the drive.

If it boots successfully, and you can use your Keyboard and mouse, then you are WINNER.

<</optional>>

If you know for sure that everything is working, plug the HDD in. If it boots Windows, again, you are WINNER, and you are done. If it doesnt, or crashes while loading (which is better), you need to reinstall.
June 20, 2006 2:39:53 AM

If you're using Windows XP, install everything, then boot from your install disk and do a general repair. Then let it boot up and reinstall, if necessary, any drivers.
!