zugzwang

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I bought following from http://kasecom.com/default.php 2 years ago:

TT561B Black Metal PC Mid Tower

The PC's On/Off button (front of the case) is sticking. When I push the button, the PC usually comes on for a few seconds, and then dies. After several pushes, it "catches" and the PC stays on.

Any one have similar problems? Any recommendations? Can I fix this by oiling the switch? If so, what kind of oil and can I buy it on the internet?

sailer

Splendid
I wouldn't oil it. That might cause even worse problems as the oil attracts dirt and other foriegn substances.

I had this problem on one computer. I took apart the front face and lightly sanded the hole around the button. Never had a problem again.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
OK, much as I hate to say it - this is most likely power supply.

Yeah yeah - I know - I spend half my time in here telling people that their PSU is fine but this time - well - I'm not.

You see, the power switch at the front of the case is a "PTM" switch. That means: Push To Make. So that when you push it in, it shorts the circuit sending a signal to the PSU. When you let it go, the signal is cut.

So, it is most likely the PSU is NOT interpreting the momentary contact as being the signal to "TURN ON POWER TO MOTHERBOARD".

The other possibility is that it IS the switch. To test this, you need to be able to count to 4....

Most BIOS are setup so that a constant 4-second hold-down of the PTM Boot Switch results in a "HARD OFF" where the power is simply cut to the PC. So, if your switch genuinely IS sticking for 4 seconds at a time, then this is what will happen:

1) You push switch.
2) PC comes alive and starts to boot.
4) Precisely 4 seconds later, PC loses all power and shuts down.

If the time is LESS than or GREATER than 4 seconds, then it is not the switch.

No - get testing.

zugzwang

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Does seem to be consistent at 4 seconds, so suspect button is sticking. Consistently, pwr supply comes on, so doubt pwr supply problem.