pikelsedlak

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Hi, I have 2 Western Digital Caviar SE SATA HDDs, Windows XP, and an Asus KM400-MLV. I've always used one, but I bought another, the exact same one, and my motherboard has 2 SATA slots built in. I just plugged it in, and it began to load, but as Windows booted up (you know at the full screen logo with load bar), it was a faded color, and the loading bar would not move, then I get a blue screen saying something along the lines of new hardware unrecognised, please remove and try again. So, I boot up with my single drive, and it works fine. I just want to use both drives at the same time, I guess it's called raid. Please help!

I bought a hitachi hard drive btand new out of the box and could not get it to install. Took it back to Fry's electronics and they tested it sand said it was fried right out of the box.

I really don't know. Try hooking up just the new hard drive alone. You know your old one works. If you get the BSOD with the new one, you know it's a bad drive.

pikelsedlak

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I just tried to load windows on the new hdd, and after all the wait time of it loading, when i clicked install windows, it says: "Could not locate specified device..."

I just tried to load windows on the new hdd, and after all the wait time of it loading, when i clicked install windows, it says: "Could not locate specified device..."

You may have to load the SATA drivers. Sometimes the MB comes with a SATA/RAID floppy 1.44 driver disk. You have to load that at the F6 prompt when the Windows CD prompts you.

I was thinking you could have both drives plugged in and running snf unplug the power to the new drive. Reboot with the power unplugged to the new drive and see if your system will run OK with jsu the old drive alone. Then shut down and plug in the new drive again (the power plug). If you get a blue screen it is likely ther issomething wrong with the new drive.

I see. You have the new drive plugged in and it's saying something like windows doesn't recognize the drive, right? Maybe windows needs the SATA floppy drive disk at the F6 prompt?

If you don't have a floppy drive disk, I may be able to tell you ho to make one. There are about 3 ways to make a Sata floppy drive disk. I may be ble to help.

If your Asus MB did not come with a SATA/RAID floppy driver you can do the following

1. Put the MB CD in another computer and see if you can locate a 'make SATA floppy driver disk' button. Format a 1.44 floppy and make the SATA/RAID driver disk from their. Load the floppy at the windows instalation F6 prompt- third party drivers.

2. Go on the Asus website and see if your motherboard specs includes a 'SATA/RAID floppy driver disk' download. Make the 1.44 driver this way.

3. Insert the CD in another computer. Click on open MY COMPUTER. Right click on your MB driver disk icon at the cd drive. Click EXPLORE. search the CD contents for 'make a SATA floppy driver disk'.

4. I can tell you how to manually make a SATA floppy driver disk from your MoBo CD. Let me know and I'll walk you through making a homemade SATARAID 1.44 floppy driver disk from you CD.

If your Asus MB did not come with a SATA/RAID floppy driver you can do the following

1. Put the MB CD in another computer and see if you can locate a 'make SATA floppy driver disk' button. Format a 1.44 floppy and make the SATA/RAID driver disk from their. Load the floppy at the windows instalation F6 prompt- third party drivers.

2. Go on the Asus website and see if your motherboard specs includes a 'SATA/RAID floppy driver disk' download. Make the 1.44 driver this way.

3. Insert the CD in another computer. Click on open MY COMPUTER. Right click on your MB driver disk icon at the cd drive. Click EXPLORE. search the CD contents for 'make a SATA floppy driver disk'.

4. I can tell you how to manually make a SATA floppy driver disk from your MoBo CD. Let me know and I'll walk you through making a homemade SATARAID 1.44 floppy driver disk from you CD.

kava

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
try the "Native" setting in BISO under SATA.

and try to install it as normal IDE Hard Drive.
Don't go through this SATA , by pressing the F6, it will ask for the driver

Best Regards,
Nischal Ram

pikelsedlak

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
i tried to load it as a regular IDE drive, then i also tried to use the 1.44 floppy raid/sata driver that came with my mobo... after many attempts at loading windows, nothing worked it always said: "No harddrive installed on your computer." So, then I tried just the old drive, worked fine, then just the new one, new one said same: "No harddrive..." Then, I even tried loading it with both in the computer at same time, again nothing. Is there another way I can get it in my computer using raid, or just putting it in my computer while it's running? So frusterating! 8O

Leave both hard drives in the computer hooked up. unplug the new hard drive from the power plug. If the old hard drive loads windows you know you have a bad new hard drive. I'd do an RMA on that new hard drive.

This just happened to me. My hard drive was fried. Thishow I determined it was fried, by hooking it up with another hard dive and then unplugging it when my system would not load. Hope this helps.

Hi.

It just seems to me if you hook your old hard drive up and it works perfectly, then everytime you hook up the new hard drive (in every configuration you know of) the hard drive will not load or work or whatever you want to call it. And the two hard drives are exactly the same. Just makes me think you got a bad hard drive. These things can be tricky sometimes. When I get blue screens I start looking for fried out components. Hope I helped instead of hindered.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
WAIT! Don't RMA yet!

Change your BIOS so you can see the POST (White text on a black screen). That will tell you if the drive is detected. The POST lists all installed drives before windows boots.

It DEFINATELY sounds like a driver issue. Your motherboard came with a CD. That CD has drivers on it that you need to load on to a floppy.

RAID might help. First, you need two IDENTICAL drives. Second, check your mobo manual for RAID BIOS settings (Most will have you change SATA mode to Enhanced). Then before windows, but after BIOS, you can press something like CTRL+I (again, check the manual) to get into your RAID BIOS screen.

This is where you set up RAID.

Set it up as RAID 0 (for performance) or RAID 1 (for drive mirroring). If you can create the array, then the drive is probably not bad. Just make sure you have a FRESH (New if possible) floppy, and your floppy drive is hooked up right. You MUST install the drivers from a floppy to use RAID with a fresh install of windows.

Good luck!

pat

Expert
Hi, I have 2 Western Digital Caviar SE SATA HDDs, Windows XP, and an Asus KM400-MLV. I've always used one, but I bought another, the exact same one, and my motherboard has 2 SATA slots built in. I just plugged it in, and it began to load, but as Windows booted up (you know at the full screen logo with load bar), it was a faded color, and the loading bar would not move, then I get a blue screen saying something along the lines of new hardware unrecognised, please remove and try again. So, I boot up with my single drive, and it works fine. I just want to use both drives at the same time, I guess it's called raid. Please help!

Are you sure that this is the exact same model? maybe it is one SATAII HDD and if it is the case, then a simple jumper would have make it SATAI compatible because your motherboad cannot negociate connection with SATAII HDD. So SATAII HDD have jumper to make it compatible with older SATA standard.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
It should say something to that effect right on the drive. If not, go to WD's website and check the model number. That will tell you exactly what things that drive has and doesn't have, straight from the horse's mouth.