Nvidia 7XXX VS. ATI X1K series

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I need help selecting a new GPU, graphic gurus out there: All I do is moderate gaming in which OBLIVION, Half-Life 2, UT 04, Fear, Guild Wars, Age of Empires 3, and Day of Defeat: Source register.

My top two choices: NVIDIA 7900 GT / ATI X1800 XT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130281

7900 GT CO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102698

X1800 XT

HELP!!!!!!!!! They are the SAME EXACT PRICE!!!!! 239.00 US

my new rig comprises of
3700+ SanDiego core
2GB XMS Corsair RAM,
Seagate160 GB SATA II HD,
A8N-E Asus Mobo.

THANK YOU GRATEFULLY!!!!

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
This is from another post else where...........

7900gt pros
highly overclockable
low power usage
low heat

cons
image quality not as good at ati, AA and AF cause a bigger hit on cpu

X1800xt pros
slightly higher av framerate in most stuff
better image quality

cons
ati CCC is a pain in the ***
heat
noise
power usage

Guess both are good cards and have it advantages and disadvantages, its up to you as to what you prefer!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I'd get the Nvidia, eventhough the ATI has slightly superior image quality and able to render AA and HDR (don't know about Oblivion if it has the ATI AA/HDR patch yet) the 7900GT is better to use.

TheMiracle

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
be careful, if you overclock too much the 7900 and you happen to come accross a bad board, you'll end like me, with a "higly downclockable" :? version of the GT, I had to spend another 200$ and get a GTX :lol: , if you cant afford the GTX, go with a 1800 and an aftermarket cooler, They clock ok, if you change that ugly cooler. :x

wht1986

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
I had an eVGA 7900GT KO Superclocked card that worked great ...
... for about a week. Then I started getting artifacts all over the place. I have a few friends that have had bad luck with 7900s as well and some that have been ok. Seems to be luck of the draw.

I traded in for a x1800XT 512M and couldnt be happier. Framerates in games are subjectively the same as my 7900 was but image quality is noticeably better. AT least this is the case in the games that I play, oblivion and eq2. Newer games might make the 7900 a better choice as they could utilize the newer features.

Cant go wrong either way though I wouldnt overclock the 7900 as far as eVGA did with the KO superclock series. Seems to be too much.

Not sure if newegg has any left in stock, i picked up the MSI x1800XT 512M after rebate for $269, I think the extra memory helps me run the widescreen. If it doesnt, it still made me feel warm and fuzzy to have 512 M on the card.

[Edit: Forgot to add, make sure you have a beefy PSU for the x1800XT. They are power hogs. I had a FSP 500 W that was not good enough and caused random shutdowns, upgraded to a Seasonic S12-600 and all is right in the world]

kolemunky

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
if you want to RMA your card a half a dozen times and not have your computer working for a few months, I suggest the 7900 series. HAHA Just my luck to switch to Nvidia cards when the release these defective bastards. Take a look at the evga forums if you dont know what I am referring to. These cards dont work for sheeet.

TheMiracle

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
if you want to RMA your card a half a dozen times and not have your computer working for a few months, I suggest the 7900 series. HAHA Just my luck to switch to Nvidia cards when the release these defective bastards. Take a look at the evga forums if you dont know what I am referring to. These cards dont work for sheeet.
lol :lol: , but so true, the 7900 was meant to be a GTX, if you can not afford a GTX, spend the money on a 1800, 7900GT ar $^@% :wink:

This is from another post else where...........

X1800xt..
cons
noise

Compared to a GT, the XT is quiet when running. At startup the XT makes an awful noise, but quiets down almost immediately and never gets that loud again. The GT is not as quiet as the GTX.

Also the GT spills it's hot air back into the case, so it heats up the rest of your rig, while the XT exhausts heat out the back so I'd but the 'heat' in the GT not the XT. Sure the XT runs hotter, but the important thing is where that heat goes.

Minor considerations, but just as important as power usage.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Thanks for informing me - it was out of stock a few days ago, when I checked...

but,....Still, I feel like the Nvidia has a slight edge to it....

Which one performs better in real life tests ie games, and which in synthetic benches?

thanks everybody

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Thanks for informing me - it was out of stock a few days ago, when I checked...

but,....Still, I feel like the Nvidia has a slight edge to it....

Which one performs better in real life tests ie games, and which in synthetic benches?

thanks everybody

The X1800XT is a lot better in Oblivion. In other games and synthetic benchmarks, they're about the same. I'd get the X1800XT because it's cheaper and better in Oblivion.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
A 7900GT can't use OpenEXR HDR with antialiasing at any framerate; extra work is required for Nvidia cards to use OpenEXR and antialiasing that most developers don't bother with.

A 7900GT can't use OpenEXR HDR with antialiasing at any framerate; extra work is required for Nvidia cards to use OpenEXR and antialiasing that most developers don't bother with.

Not only developer's extra work but the cards itself.

In order to use OpenEXR-HDR and FSAA in hardware would require a minimum of 2 complete loops (not just passes), first running the HDR through the ROP then going back through for either MSAA or SSAA, and it would be impossible to remain FP16 throughout with G7x hardware. That would make it terribly slow compared to the 1K model which allows FP16 throughout.

There are other tricks possible too, but you still incure a huge performance penalty for little gain.