Epson R200 - red diodes flashing problem

Hello,
the other day I replaced all 6 ink cartridges by new ones. Ink jet pattern check and
counters (full) were OK.
Today, when I tried to print a page the two red error diodes came on flashing
synchroniously.
Paper feeding is OK. CD-printing device closed and OK. No paper obstructing the
printing head travel .
Turning the printer off and on results in the usual ink wasting initializing procedure
and comes again to a hold with the two red diodes flashing and the green diode going
dark.
Any idea what could make the printer behave like this?

Herb Henkler
12 answers Last reply
More about epson r200 diodes flashing problem

    Is this another case with 3rd party ink?

    H.Henkler wrote:

    >Hello,
    >the other day I replaced all 6 ink cartridges by new ones. Ink jet pattern check and
    >counters (full) were OK.
    >Today, when I tried to print a page the two red error diodes came on flashing
    >synchroniously.
    >Paper feeding is OK. CD-printing device closed and OK. No paper obstructing the
    >printing head travel .
    >Turning the printer off and on results in the usual ink wasting initializing procedure
    >and comes again to a hold with the two red diodes flashing and the green diode going
    >dark.
    >Any idea what could make the printer behave like this?
    >
    >Herb Henkler

    The paper and ink LEDs can blink in three different manners:

    Alternate blinking between them
    Paper LED blinking with the Ink LED blinking faster
    Both Paper and Ink LED blinking fast

    From your description, I am assuming you are dealing with the first.

    This indicates the waste pad is considered full of ink and requires
    replacement. If the printer is under warranty, send it back to Epson.
    If not, you need to bring it to a warranty/service depot and pay to have
    the waste ink pads replaced and the software reset.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:

    > The paper and ink LEDs can blink in three different manners:
    >
    > Alternate blinking between them
    > Paper LED blinking with the Ink LED blinking faster
    > Both Paper and Ink LED blinking fast
    >
    > From your description, I am assuming you are dealing with the first.
    >
    > This indicates the waste pad is considered full of ink and requires
    > replacement. If the printer is under warranty, send it back to Epson.
    > If not, you need to bring it to a warranty/service depot and pay to
    > have the waste ink pads replaced and the software reset.

    Why can't most people do that themselves?

    In article <G_f4e.1385$qD2.1144@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    measekite@yahoo.com says...
    > > The paper and ink LEDs can blink in three different manners:
    > >
    > > Alternate blinking between them
    > > Paper LED blinking with the Ink LED blinking faster
    > > Both Paper and Ink LED blinking fast
    > >
    > > From your description, I am assuming you are dealing with the first.
    > >
    > > This indicates the waste pad is considered full of ink and requires
    > > replacement. If the printer is under warranty, send it back to Epson.
    > > If not, you need to bring it to a warranty/service depot and pay to
    > > have the waste ink pads replaced and the software reset.
    >

    > Why can't most people do that themselves?

    Mostly because Epson no longer allows you to own the software that re-sets
    the printer to a "empty waste" condition.

    In the past (about when the Epson Stylus 600 series came out) you could
    download it, but not anymore.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >
    >> The paper and ink LEDs can blink in three different manners:
    >>
    >> Alternate blinking between them
    >> Paper LED blinking with the Ink LED blinking faster
    >> Both Paper and Ink LED blinking fast
    >>
    >> From your description, I am assuming you are dealing with the first.
    >>
    >> This indicates the waste pad is considered full of ink and requires
    >> replacement. If the printer is under warranty, send it back to Epson. If
    >> not, you need to bring it to a warranty/service depot and pay to have the
    >> waste ink pads replaced and the software reset.
    >

    > Why can't most people do that themselves?

    Because Epson - in their ultimate wisdom - made it as hard as they possibly
    could to firstly get to the waste ink pads, secondly not making replacements
    available and thirdly not giving users any way of resetting the waste ink
    counter.

    If you want to do it yourself its certainly possible though. Good luck with
    trying to get into the printer without damaging the casing - poking it in
    the right places will get the covers and all the mechanism that's in the way
    of the waste pads off. You can then remove them, wash them out and dry them
    for a few days before refitting, and then hope you can get the printer back
    together in one piece without messing up the alignment too much.
    SSC from http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml says it can reset the R200's
    waste ink counter, but I've not tried it so you might also screw up your
    eeprom settings as side effect.

    Take note of the interesting caution in the R200's service manual though:

    {quote]

    For the existing Low End models, it is basically forbidden to remove
    "Housing, Lower" from "Printer Mechanism". This is because the strength of
    "Frame, Main" is not strong enough, therefore, "Frame, Main" may be
    transformed when removing/ reinstalling it from/to "Housing, Lower". For
    that reason, when replacing "Ink System" or "PF Motor", it is recommended to
    replace not only "Housing, Lower" but also "Printer Mechanism".

    For this printer, it is necessary that "Housing, Lower" be removed from
    "Printer Mechanism" when replacing "Waste ink Pads" or "Ink System Unit".
    Therefore, this chapter specifies the disassembly/assembly of "Printer
    Mechanism" which "Housing, Lower" has been taken out in order to secure the
    quality of the repaired items.

    In article <uhg4e.7268$il.1409@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, Ivor@somewhere.uk
    says...
    > If you want to do it yourself its certainly possible though. Good luck with
    > trying to get into the printer without damaging the casing - poking it in
    > the right places will get the covers and all the mechanism that's in the way
    > of the waste pads off. You can then remove them, wash them out and dry them
    > for a few days before refitting, and then hope you can get the printer back
    > together in one piece without messing up the alignment too much.
    > SSC from http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml says it can reset the R200's
    > waste ink counter, but I've not tried it so you might also screw up your
    > eeprom settings as side effect.

    The SSC utility worked fine for me without screwing anything up.

    On a Canon (through the i960 anyway) it can be done with a give sequence of
    "button presses" on the printer, though I dont remember what the presses are
    off the top of my head.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Arthur Entlich schrieb:

    > The paper and ink LEDs can blink in three different manners:
    >
    > Alternate blinking between them
    > Paper LED blinking with the Ink LED blinking faster
    > Both Paper and Ink LED blinking fast
    >
    > From your description, I am assuming you are dealing with the first.
    >
    > This indicates the waste pad is considered full of ink and requires
    > replacement. If the printer is under warranty, send it back to Epson.
    > If not, you need to bring it to a warranty/service depot and pay to have
    > the waste ink pads replaced and the software reset.
    >
    > Art

    Hello, Art,
    both red LEDs were blinking FAST and SYNCHRONOUSLY. Since the printer is 2 months old
    (new) only and I have consumed only one set of cartridges so far the ink pad (counter
    resp.) cannot be full. The third party cartridges I have installed are from Pelikan
    (Germany), a supplier with a good reputation. Pelikan gives a compatibility warranty for
    their cartridges.
    So I took the Epson R200 printer to the dealer today. They checked the printer and will
    have it fixed under warranty.

    But I still wonder was is going on ???!

    Herb

    I was told this person is actually dealing with the 3rd situation, so he
    is getting it replaced under warranty (the third condition means a
    problem with the head carriage or paper feed motor)

    But, to answer your question, the reason people can't replace the waste
    ink pads themselves is because:

    The pads are usually under the whole printer mechanism, requiring a
    major dismantling

    The EEPROM reset requires propriety software to reset it

    Some of these ink pads are cut specially to fit correctly

    And why is it done that way rather than either using a waste ink bottle
    or a tray that comes out and you just put in a new pad? IMHO it's so
    Epson service stations can make money on it, or people will toss the
    printer because the cost to do this repair is often close to half the
    price of the printer.

    IMHO it's just a scam.

    Art

    measekite wrote:

    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >
    >> The paper and ink LEDs can blink in three different manners:
    >>
    >> Alternate blinking between them
    >> Paper LED blinking with the Ink LED blinking faster
    >> Both Paper and Ink LED blinking fast
    >>
    >> From your description, I am assuming you are dealing with the first.
    >>
    >> This indicates the waste pad is considered full of ink and requires
    >> replacement. If the printer is under warranty, send it back to Epson.
    >> If not, you need to bring it to a warranty/service depot and pay to
    >> have the waste ink pads replaced and the software reset.
    >

    > Why can't most people do that themselves?
    >

    >> Art
    >>

    >> H.Henkler wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>> the other day I replaced all 6 ink cartridges by new ones. Ink jet
    >>> pattern check and
    >>> counters (full) were OK.
    >>> Today, when I tried to print a page the two red error diodes came on
    >>> flashing
    >>> synchroniously.
    >>> Paper feeding is OK. CD-printing device closed and OK. No paper
    >>> obstructing the
    >>> printing head travel .
    >>> Turning the printer off and on results in the usual ink wasting
    >>> initializing procedure
    >>> and comes again to a hold with the two red diodes flashing and the
    >>> green diode going
    >>> dark.
    >>> Any idea what could make the printer behave like this?
    >>>
    >>> Herb Henkler

    Just a slight correction. Until quite recently, there wasn't really
    anything to download, in terms of resetting the waste ink pad
    "protection numbers". It was just a matter of holding down the right
    sequence of front panel switches and buttons.

    Recent printers from Epson now require a software program to reset the
    firmware for this purpose, and that isn't readily available to others
    than official service depots.

    It is a dirty trick IMHO, and might even not be legal.

    Art

    In article <L5u4e.528$VF5.266@edtnps89>, artistic@telus.net says...
    > Just a slight correction. Until quite recently, there wasn't really
    > anything to download, in terms of resetting the waste ink pad
    > "protection numbers". It was just a matter of holding down the right
    > sequence of front panel switches and buttons.
    >
    > Recent printers from Epson now require a software program to reset the
    > firmware for this purpose, and that isn't readily available to others
    > than official service depots.
    >
    > It is a dirty trick IMHO, and might even not be legal.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Larry wrote:
    >
    > > In article <G_f4e.1385$qD2.1144@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    > > measekite@yahoo.com says...
    >
    > >>Why can't most people do that themselves?
    > >>

    > > Mostly because Epson no longer allows you to own the software that re-sets
    > > the printer to a "empty waste" condition.
    > >
    > > In the past (about when the Epson Stylus 600 series came out) you could
    > > download it, but not anymore.

    I probably miss-remembered, there was a LONG period where I wasnt buying
    anything Epson.

    I do know that the SSC utility works for re-setting the waste ink numbers if
    you use it before the printer gets to the maximum and locks up.

    I dont know if it will work after the lock-up though.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    I've responded in private email, and in another earlier posting with the
    same subject heading.

    Art

    > >So, for about the cost of shipping the printer somewhere for service, you can
    > >load your closet with ready-to-go replacements that need no shipping or labor
    > >charges. Is this not a no-brainer?
    > >

    > Why stockup, the replacement for them with improved technology will most
    > likely be the same price.

    because the stock-up price is about $20 each. The new price will likely never
    be that low.

    [uh, the no-brainer part of the cost equation?]

Printers Epson Peripherals Product