Sign in with
Your question

dumb but serious question

Last response: in Overclocking
June 20, 2006 6:08:27 AM

how do you find out what mobo you're using? I had my system made about 1.5 year ago and I have no idea what my motherboard is...

Why do I want to know after all these time???

Well, I think I'm having some heat problem with cpu. I wanted to oc the cpu (p4 3.2) so i went into bios and looked around. I failed miserably in trying to oc the cpu, I didn't know where to start... While I was browing through different bios, I peered into temp section.. BIOS read that my cpu was at 92C. 92C wow! Something is not working properly here so I am thinking about getting a new cpu fan; a zalman. I read that it was great choice for cooling, but it is supposed to be huge piece of "pretty" machine. I go into their website and it gave me a list of compatible boards. But the problem is, I don't know mine. So... will someone please tell me how to find out what your mobo is? also I want to know what socket it is as well.

Thanks

More about : dumb question

June 20, 2006 6:40:54 AM

Find the program CPUZ and run it. It can tell you what you need to know
June 20, 2006 6:58:17 AM

Quote:
I wanted to oc the cpu (p4 3.2) so i went into bios and looked around

U wanted to OC without knowing your motherboard and OC capabilities???
Related resources
June 20, 2006 7:29:56 AM

Don't just jump into the OC thing, study up a little before you just do it.

Look at some systems that are almost the same as yours (if not exactly) and what the possibilities/capabilities are before possibly frying something.

92 degrees...prescott anyone???
June 20, 2006 8:16:57 AM

42 degree presler yeoooooooooooooooo @ 4.08Ghz
June 20, 2006 8:28:23 AM

And that is relevant how???

Obviously you at least knew what you were doing. The original poster still has much to learn. Not bad though, what cooling did you use and how high is the voltage?
June 20, 2006 9:07:16 AM

Quote:
how do you find out what mobo you're using?

The simplest way is to open your computer and have a look inside.
June 20, 2006 10:05:56 AM

Unfortunately 92C would fry most anything Silicon without hesitation.

Also, BIOS readings (which usually are anyway) are in this case wrong.
CPU-Z....possibly the motherboard manual if you had it built for you.
Try looking for a board revision number near the Northbridge or GPU slot,
then google the number --it tends to be quite accurate.
June 20, 2006 10:33:07 AM

There should be a model # usually printed in white by the pci slots or somewhere around the edge of the board. Try puting the model number in google and see if it comes up.
!