Un_happy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I've been a reader of Tom's Hardware for a while now, but the twist the website has taken recently puzzles me. What are all those dumb and pointless articles published lately, like the grossly misinformed "Learning From The Pioneers Of Gaming", the stupid "Are Games Getting Easier?" or the pointless "How To Meet Women Playing Warcraft"? And now there is some direct advertisement: "Why Final Fantasy XI Rocks Online"!
All those "articles" seemingly written by freelancers, not affilated to the THG board. What's going on here? Are you short on staff? Isn't this website supposed to be dedicated to <b>hardware</b>, as Tom's <b>Hardware</b> suggests? If I want game reviews, I go to Gamespot or IGN, thank you. I can understand that you publish <i>some</i> game reviews, but this kind of crap, you must be joking. Nonetheless it's irrelevant, but it's also pretty inacurrate in a large part!
You should get back to what you know: hardware (and let the stupid and pointless to IGN, that's they're specialty).

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
calm down man you could have kept this inside your head, noone from toms will likely fire all theyre writters so i dont think much is going to change. i hear you free speach whatnot but who gives a damn, if you see something you like [-peep-] read it if not then shut the hell up. Peace (lol you sound like an old guy i know, or that guy from jackass "hey, whats going on here" ok im done :)

Looking for a fender jaguar/ jag-syang. has to be a lefty.
Email: CharlesJReel@hotmail.com

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
And if i were you i would have posted this in the other section, as it has nothing to do wtih games specificaly only your opinions on the faults toms hardware may or may not have with their staffs articles and or the reviews they put out. Thanks

Looking for a fender jaguar/ jag-syang. has to be a lefty.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Now we have a pointless topic debating the direction the articles are taking rather than debating the pointless articles. Why can't people just talk about games in here.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Don't make me hunt you down and kill you :eek:)

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

riser

Illustrious
anyone else realize there has been like 6 new accounts created within the last 2-3 days to bitch about the gaming articles?

I'm thinking it's the same person or two trying to stir some stuff up.

The gaming articles? It's mainly because of 2 things:

1) We don't give a [-peep-].

2) The reviews aren't really that bad, they're opinions and we're entitled to our own - it's free media, they say what they want. They have all that nice hardware they're testing games on, might as well review them while they're at it.

ps: now shut the hell up about the gaming articles. haven't you noticed the hardware area has slowed down?

Wait until Socket K (I think it's K?) comes out? AMD is moving all their sockets to a 940 or 941 reconfigration called Socket K or P or something.

at that point, tom's will get back into the hardware articles.

Un_happy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Okay, first, where should I post this? I have a problem with those articles, and they're game related. There's no 'rant' section on this forum.
Second, it's a forum, so I can express my opinion here. If you don't care, that's fine. Don't read and don't post.
Third, I don't know the other posters that you mentioned. If several people decided to register and post about those articles, maybe that's because the articles really suck? The last one, about FFXI really decided me to post this. Come on, this is pure advertisement. A Square-Enix rep would write that.
I don't think I'm flaming anyone. I'm being critical. I don't like the way things are going for good reasons and I'm vocal about it. I've been reading this website since 2000 and I acknowledge a lot of great articles were published here. But the ones I mentioned, I'm sorry but they're rubbish. I could have written myself most of them (and that's not a compliment).
I know there's no big stuff going on since the release of the Geforce 7, but that's not a reason to publish junior high grade papers. What about a round-up of micro-ATX mobo/case? Heatsink? Water-cooling? Updating the interactive CPU chart (and that thing really needs it). What about updating the VGA charts? MP3 player round-up? iPod Nano test? So don't say there's nothing worth writing about.

Edit: Look out today: iPod nano review and cases review... See, there's stuff to write about!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Un_happy on 09/13/05 01:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mumra

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
Well - what kind of gaming articles do you all want to see? I'm curious. 'Cause you can bet that there will be gaming articles showing up here in some way, shape, or form in the future.

I know this is a tech-head board, so do you like that slant more so than something else? SPEAK UP. Offer some good suggestions.

Personally, I like pieces that are more personal, funny, or unique in some way. I don't care if it's PC, XBOX, Playstation, or Nintendo. (but please, no Ngage)

"Repetitive to the point of tedium"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mumra on 09/13/05 03:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Un_happy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Frankly, I don't really want to see gaming articles on this website. As I don't want to see tech articles on Gamespot. They made a few "tune up" guides. Reading one of them was a great moment of laughing (if you add more memory, a better processor and a better GC, the game runs better...).
I'm fine with articles dealing with the gaming community, like LAN party reports, things like that. I also understand that some of the writers may want to talk about a big time game or about their favorite game of the moment. But in-depth articles about gaming? That's just not the place for them (especially when they're of this quality). Unless Tom's Hardware is bound to become Tom's Multimedia of course... Then what? They'll have a DVD/movie column? A comics one?

Un_happy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Hey, actually, I like it, the kind of "mood bill" thing. Except the "Overclocking Yourself". Maybe for a first of April?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Un_happy on 09/13/05 06:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I almost died doing OCY... well, not almost died, more "considered rolling over and dying" during its production. A lot of guys would have winged that. I actually put myself through the ordeal. I had to do a blood test towards the end of it and my GP hit the roof...

riser

Illustrious
Let's see.. instead of looking at your point of view.. let's look at Tom's point of view.

They focus on hardware. They've been benchmarking all their hardware on games. They play games, test results get posted on the hardware. They have high end computer systems before we can get them.. they do cool [-peep-] with the hardware..

Let them do gaming articles.. it's not dominating the site. If you're going to do hardware, lets do a review on the game we're testing the hardware out with too. Why not?

I personally like some of the articles and I can pick out the biased view.. my views are biased too.. I find a lot of the articles fit more towards my gaming styles and liking.. I'm sick of unbiased game reivews personally..

its over-all a great game.. these articles tell me what they like, don't like.. maybe I like something they don't like.. the intense micro managing.. an unbiased review won't tell you all the ins and outs.. The people doing these reviews are more like myself.. the casual gamers..

not the hard core pimple faced haven't left the basement for a month because I'm still trying to hit level 60 in WoW gamer.

So you're entitled to your opinion.. and that's exactly what it is.. your opinion.

Honestly, if you have that much of a problem with it, email the author. that's why their email address is there.

You can post in here..but obviously not too many people care about it.. we're all adults here.. and we can decide what we like and what we don't.. forunately, Tom isn't a established institute for gaming reviews.. so don't read the articles on gaming.

Just my 2 cent opinion.

Un_happy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I don't have a that much of a problem with gaming articles in general, as I said in previous post. What bugged me is a score of low quality, misinformed or plain stupid articles published in the last months. Have you read any of the articles I cited in my first post?
As for mailing the authors, I tried. Except there's no e-mail address for them available on the website. They seem to be freelancers, so they're not listed.

riser

Illustrious
Did I read the articles? Are you kidding me?

No. No, I didn't. I really don't read those reviews because they tend to already like the game before they even play it, or they hate it. I don't bother and I don't go around buying games all the time because I'm picky. Besides, I have a life where gaming is in my free time, I don't let it get to me like it apparently does to you.

Un_happy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I think you're totally missing the point dude. I'm not talking about game reviews. I'm talking about articles about gaming history/microcosmos.
Maybe you should avoid posting in a thread when you have no idea of what the thread is about? Isn't that a breakthrough concept? I should patent it.

riser

Illustrious
Maybe you should learn to post without being on the defensive side trying to pick a fight?

I've read some of the reviews.. I didn't find them bad. I didn't read others. But I think you're an insecure person who feels the need to say something and fall back and be defensive about it, because obviously you can't be constructive about it.

ne ner ne ner.

Maybe you should go away. That'd be a concept that goes along with a noob title.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
just shut up! go annoy a different board if you dont want to solve the fcuking problem the fcuk off!!! god just more bull**** trash on these boards.

Looking for a fender jaguar/ jag-stang. has to be a lefty.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
just shut up! go annoy a different board if you dont want to solve the fcuking problem the fcuk off!!! god just more bull**** trash on these boards.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
srry for double posting comp ws messing up now it wont let me delete one of em some help please?

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Now now play nice people. There is no need to be so vitriolic :)