• CPUs
  • Nvidia
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • ATI
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2006 12:32:37 PM

Which do you guys recommend as the best and for a first time computer build? Intel or AMD? ATI vs NVIDIA? MOBO brand? Case brand? Thanks in advance if you respond.

More about : intel amd ati nvidia

June 20, 2006 1:12:40 PM

If you're capable of waiting until Q4, Conroe (Intel) is the way to go if it is what it is hyped up to be.

However, if you're talking about building right now the best way to go, IMHO, is AMD (AM2) and Nvidia (GeForce 7900 GT).

AMD has an excellent selection and with the recent price drop it is an even better deal. I highly recommend dual core, you may regret it if you go single.

Good Luck.
June 20, 2006 1:19:45 PM

Quote:
If you're capable of waiting until Q4, Conroe (Intel) is the way to go if it is what it is hyped up to be.

Q4??? Is that a MOBO?

Quote:

However, if you're talking about building right now the best way to go, IMHO, is AMD (AM2) and Nvidia (GeForce 7900 GT).

Why AMD and not Intel? Is AMD a lot better? And is Nvidia a lot better?[/quote]

Quote:

AMD has an excellent selection and with the recent price drop it is an even better deal. I highly recommend dual core, you may regret it if you go single.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. I have a Dell 4100 P3 800 Mhz with 32MB and then a Dell Laptop 2.4Ghz, maybe 32MB video card. The laptop had one of its sockets for RAM burn out. I am scared of using it to play games because if the other DIMM burns out, I am out of a computer I need for college abroad. Do you think I should knock out as much value out of this laptop by getting a better video card? Or will it probably bust if I use it too much.
Related resources
June 20, 2006 1:23:37 PM

As long as your laptop is well ventilated you can use it for just about anything. Make sure your laptop is on a flat and hard surface. If you use your laptop on, for example, a bed it will not ventilate properly and will be more prone to failure caused by heat.

So, to answer your question, I would avoid using it, but just make sure it has space to breathe and is not on a blanket or other soft surface.
June 20, 2006 1:27:55 PM

In reply to your other questions:

Q4 (Quarter Four) refers to the last 3 months of the year, it is a financial term.

It is in my opinion that AMD has better current offerings with their Socket AM2 platform. However, in Q4 of this year Intel will most likely start shipping it's new Core 2 Duo (Conroe) processors that have been (arguably) tested to be much fast than any current offering from either Intel or even AMD.
June 20, 2006 1:38:01 PM

I am still curious why you recommend AMD over Intel. I saw the speeds for the AMD and they were like 2.6 and 2.4. Intel had processors that were 3.0 and 3.2. All of them were dual core.
June 20, 2006 1:50:47 PM

Do you have a good site where I can find out about only the best hardware?
June 20, 2006 5:02:13 PM

Quote:
I am still curious why you recommend AMD over Intel. I saw the speeds for the AMD and they were like 2.6 and 2.4. Intel had processors that were 3.0 and 3.2. All of them were dual core.

Chip frequency does not equal performance

AMD currently outperforms Intel at lower clock speed because of their processor design. Intel's next generation processor (Conroe due in Q4) work at lower frequencies and achieves much better performance.

Take a look at Tom's Hardware CPU charts to see processor comparisons in different benchmarks, choose benchmarkes relevant to what you wish to do:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
June 20, 2006 5:38:08 PM

This si one of the oldest arguments there are. I think you should just go with whatever your gut thinks is best, and find the best parts for each.

i.e. right now

Pentium D 920, and 805 i heard is good

Amd 3800+ and 3800+x2

nvidia 7900gt

Ati x1800xt
June 20, 2006 7:11:47 PM

Judging by what he's asked and the Q4 question I'm really not sure he's qualified to build one either. Not getting on his case but damn the Intel/ AMD speed thing is really old news and not to know that throws up some serious red flags.
June 20, 2006 7:15:09 PM

I knew about the Q4 thing from before, but in the context that he used it, I thought he talked about some computer tech things.
June 20, 2006 7:21:38 PM

1) Go for intel core2duo, and if you can't wait get a pentium D that way you upgarde with ease later forlittle extra cost!
2) For for a Nvidia 7 series (not 6 series, not piont buy old stuff) like a 7900 or 7800 as theyare able to reach those HD resolution unlike ATI
June 20, 2006 7:32:53 PM

I would recomend AMD and Nvidia i think that they are the best compination and look for Falcon NorthWest :)  and Ncidia 7900 GTX
June 20, 2006 8:15:46 PM

geeze guys you are giving advice on what to buy and you don't even know what his budget is or what hes going to use the computer for.

One thing is safe to say and that is today is a bad day to price out a new PC. Motherboards and CPUs on the intel and AMD side are in major price and technology flux.
June 20, 2006 8:43:24 PM

Quote:
geeze guys you are giving advice on what to buy and you don't even know what his budget is or what hes going to use the computer for.

One thing is safe to say and that is today is a bad day to price out a new PC. Motherboards and CPUs on the intel and AMD side are in major price and technology flux.

I was thinking about $1000 total. Something like the following:
$500 MOBO and CPU
$100 case
$150 hard drive
$50 DVD-R
$200 graphics card

The more I think about it, it seems that getting a XBox 360 or PS3 might be worth it. PS3's processor is like 3GHz. What do you guys think?
June 20, 2006 9:35:10 PM

well here it is dude. the answer to all your problems. Your questions are almost impossible to answer because you are always gonna get answers based on opinions and personal experiences. its the same as asking people if they recommend advil or tylennol. (if i spelled that right). Each brand has its ups and downs. the best thing to do is to figure out exactly what you plan on doing with your PC and then start looking up CPU performances based on those plans. i do recommend Tom's CPU Charts on the homepage. Like i said there is no real answer. :( .
June 20, 2006 9:38:52 PM

Quote:
well here it is dude. the answer to all your problems. Your questions are almost impossible to answer because you are always gonna get answers based on opinions and personal experiences. its the same as asking people if they recommend advil or tylennol. (if i spelled that right). Each brand has its ups and downs. the best thing to do is to figure out exactly what you plan on doing with your PC and then start looking up CPU performances based on those plans. i do recommend Tom's CPU Charts on the homepage. Like i said there is no real answer. :( .

I hope you are not thinking I just want to surf the net. lol. Remember that phrase in the 90s? lol. Anyway, I am looking to buy in the next few years, not now. Too bad there is no definitive answer of whether to pick AMD or Intel. Too bad there are no polls in the board.
June 20, 2006 10:05:40 PM

Quote:

I hope you are not thinking I just want to surf the net. lol. Remember that phrase in the 90s? lol. Anyway, I am looking to buy in the next few years, not now. Too bad there is no definitive answer of whether to pick AMD or Intel. Too bad there are no polls in the board.

What the hell???? Why are you even asking us if you don't plan to buy for a few years?? are you a retard??? Things could be COMPLETLY different a few years from now........moron....
June 20, 2006 10:15:01 PM

What the hell???? Why are you even asking us if you don't plan to buy for a few years?? are you a retard??? Things could be COMPLETLY different a few years from now........moron....[/quote]

Do not fret. High school will end soon.

My brother is getting a computer this summer. I am looking for things to for his computer as well as mine. I want to get the prices and specs of the better hardware and compare them to maybe a year of two in the future.

Please, stop being primitive. I can go to a football forum and hear your type of garble.
June 20, 2006 10:40:43 PM

I hate to say it but he is right. Computer technology changes so fast that you can't compare what is available now to what will be available in 2 years... not possible. Two years ago dual core was not around and you could use 300w psu's to power almost anything. Video cards were great with 16mb of ram...

And I have to agree with the sentiments that you don't know what you are doing. AMD has been the performance leader for a couple years now due to their processor architecture (clock speed did not matter, performance does). A tricycle at 200 rpms will not out perform a mountain bike at 100 rpms.

This forum is a better tool to ask specific question on, not to get an education which you obviously lack. No one has the time or the inclination to teach you everything about computers in a forum.

And there is no definitive answer to who makes better cpu's because they are always coming out with new products to out do each other. Like who makes better sports cars? They are getting more horsepower and better features with each new model and advance at 1/10th the rate that computers do.
June 20, 2006 11:09:54 PM

Quote:
What the hell???? Why are you even asking us if you don't plan to buy for a few years?? are you a retard??? Things could be COMPLETLY different a few years from now........moron....

Do not fret. High school will end soon.

My brother is getting a computer this summer. I am looking for things to for his computer as well as mine. I want to get the prices and specs of the better hardware and compare them to maybe a year of two in the future.

Please, stop being primitive. I can go to a football forum and hear your type of garble.[/quote]

High school got out 2 weeks ago =]

Guess theres not much you do know is there?
June 21, 2006 12:00:04 AM

guys relax, we should welcome this fella with open arms to the world of Tom's Forumz, lol. Afterall he is participating. But yeah dude, tell your bro that if he needs a computer this summer to do everything from surfing to gaming to editing then i do suggest he waits until Intel's desktop processor comes out. This Conroe cpu so far proves to be all the hype it looks to be. So far the high end versions of Conroe tend to beat AMD's best processors. So tell your bro to look into it. And as for you, if it really is necessary, come back in 2 years and post this question again. Welcome to the forum dude. :) 
June 21, 2006 12:15:00 AM

Quote:
guys relax, we should welcome this fella with open arms to the world of Tom's Forumz, lol. Afterall he is participating. But yeah dude, tell your bro that if he needs a computer this summer to do everything from surfing to gaming to editing then i do suggest he waits until Intel's desktop processor comes out. This Conroe cpu so far proves to be all the hype it looks to be. So far the high end versions of Conroe tend to beat AMD's best processors. So tell your bro to look into it. And as for you, if it really is necessary, come back in 2 years and post this question again. Welcome to the forum dude. :) 

Thanks for the welcoming. I just want to apoligize to the forum for my response. I do not know how you guys talk to each other here, but on another forum I was on, there was lots of flaming. It was too debasing. I hope it is not this way here.
June 21, 2006 12:28:28 AM

I apologize as well. It just gets the best of me when people refuse to do some basic googling before they post. My language was out of control, again i am sorry.
June 21, 2006 2:05:48 AM

about the same to the tenth power...
June 21, 2006 4:33:16 AM

lol, hmm, now thats more like it. see if the flaming would stop, then more answers would be found. i hope. anyway i'm still in a good mood even though my Dallas Mavs team lost the NBA Finals just now. Oh well. :roll: well good luck with your mission Miecz. peace.
June 21, 2006 7:22:46 AM

Quote:

I was thinking about $1000 total. Something like the following:
$500 MOBO and CPU
$100 case
$150 hard drive
$50 DVD-R
$200 graphics card

The more I think about it, it seems that getting a XBox 360 or PS3 might be worth it. PS3's processor is like 3GHz. What do you guys think?

I will try to be non-bias here... ;) 

If you are trying for that kind of budget, let me give you a list of some good parts from all sides that stays within your price range. Also, for that amount of money, I say go for dual core all the way, the singles are cheaper but lets face it, dual core is going to be used more and more.

Intel CPUs= NOTE: ALL Socket T (aka, Socket LGA 775)
Pentium D 805 *Use this one only if you intend to Overclock it, otherwise, bad choice for how much you are wanting to spend
Pentium D 940 *Use if you dont want to risk Overclocking

Intel Mobo(s)= NOTE: AGAIN, ALL Socket T (aka, Socket LGA 775)
Intel BOXD945PSNLK, Intel 945P Chipset *You can get other manufaturers' mobos that use this chipset, this is just a basic reference
ASUS P5ND2-SLI NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI *again, other people make mobo's using this chipset, this is just a very popular one to use as reference

AMD CPU(s)= NOTE: I am only including socket AM2 as 939 is not noticably cheaper and not nearly future-proof as AM2.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ DUAL core *To stay within your budget and still have enough left over for a good mobo, you can get this or the 4200+ X2 if you want dual core
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ SINGLE core *This is the non-dual core, just in case if you were thinking not going dual, i think you should for the amount you want to spend

AMD Mobo(s)=
ASUS M2V VIA K8T890 Chipset *At the time I wrote this, this is the only Mobo that does not have an Nvidia Chipset that is AM2
ASUS M2N-E NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra Chipset *this is just a popular choice for this chipset, there are other makers

Memory/RAM = NOTE: the nice thing about the above selection is they all are capable of using atleast DDR2 667MHZ RAM, the AMD is capable of DDR2 800 so you could go faster then what I am listing here for RAM but for the sake of being univeral, I will only list a few options for DDR2 667
NOTE 2=I am not going to bother listing 512 or 1GB of RAM, 1GB is barely enough to run today's intense games, me and my friends, with AMD and Intel CPUs all run 2GB and we will never go lower again.
Oh, and NOTE 3= ALL of the above items require Dual-Channel RAM so I am only going to list true, Dual Channel options, you can buy like 2 seperate sticks of RAM that are the same size but you may run into problems
Patriot Signature Series 2GB (2 x 1GB)
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Case=
This, i wont even bother listing as this is basically 100% opinion and personal choice, there are just too many options out there...

Hard Drive=
Again, too many variables, My only recommendation, get atleast SATA150 (SATA-I) drive(s), dont bother with IDE. I run two SATA drives in RAID0 and love the extra performance but its not neccessary.

Nvidia Gfx Cards= *ALL PCI-Express x16
eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT *Recommended over the 6800GS because of the new technology in it
XFX PVT42GUAD7 Geforce 6800GS 256MB *last generation but pretty close to the same performance as above card

ATI Gfx Cards= *AGAIN, ALL PCI-Express x16
SAPPHIRE 100155L Radeon X1800GTO 256MB *Latest technology and slightly faster then the below X1600XT
GIGABYTE GV-RX16T256V-RH Radeon X1600XT 256MB *Still latest tech, same generation as the X1800GTO but slightly slower and cheaper but not enough to justify it over the X1800GTO but is passive cooled so there is no noise caused by the card, and it does a good job of keeping the card cool

So... there are your options that I find as viable for the budget you are trying to stay on... If you were to ask me for my opinion about 3 months ago, I would say go green all the way, AMD and Nvidia but lately I am considering Intel only because of the 805 is a VERY nice dual core for well under $150 and easily OC'd to killer speeds. I wont move from Nvidia however, especially since I personally HATE the way Crossfire works over SLI, and I like the drivers better. Using my friend's computer with an X800GTO, the direct competitor to mine, the 6800GT (both AGP mind you), i cant stand the driver options and install. I have nothing against people using ATI but as for myself and my own computers, they will be Nvidia Graphic cards and chipsets, no matter the CPU brand.
June 21, 2006 7:27:07 AM

and as far as Xbox 360 vs PS3, the PS3 is going to murder the X360 once it's released but at a much higher price... its personal choice between the two but consoles CANT and will NEVER replace computers in my eyes. Consoles and PCs both have their pros and cons. I will not be buying the X360 until Halo 3 is released as that is the only game I enjoyed on the original Xbox that was not on computer. The PS3, I will be getting as soon as it is released and I have the money...
June 21, 2006 7:41:18 AM

One more thing to try and add to what weirdo is saying, remember your PSU. You will be buying quality parts and with them you should get a quality PSU from a trusted name. Some names include, but are not limited to; Seasonic, OCZ, PC power and cooling, Tagan, and Sunbeem NUUO. You should choose something with at least 500 watts and if it is a single 12v rail it should have over 35 amps on that rail, if dual rail or more look for something with 20 amps on each 12v rail. A bad PSU will destroy a good system so don't go cheap. Good ones start out at around $100 and go up from there. I got a 450 watt OCZ Modstream for my system last year and I am regretting not getting a little bit more of a PSU.

Another thing to consider is using an UPS to clean up your power if you live in an area with frequent power loss and power that fluctuates or if your house is not wired properly and when appliances are turned on lights flicker or dim.
June 21, 2006 8:32:12 AM

Miecz,

Everyone has an opinion on what is better AMD or Intel, Nvidia or ATI. I have historicaly been intel/ati, but have been looking at amd/nvidia just to see for myself.

My suggestion would be to educate yourself by reading about the products available, and not just the marketing hype put out by these companies. Read the component specifications, find out what they mean. Read the tests done by Tomshardware, and read the forum posts that discuss these products. Once you have an idea of the pros and cons of the technology try building a few systems on paper to get an idea of cost and to visualize all the components your going to need for your build. Then goto the vendor websites and download and read the manuals for the products in your build. Verify the components are compatable with each other. You'll probably go through several iterations of this, but then again you have a lot of time before your going to build.

Good Luck
June 21, 2006 9:19:57 AM

For first build i prefer Intel and ATI ....

Because in this case on second build you will find out the the speed - reliablity and cost performancing of AMD and Nvidia ....

Just Kidding
November 29, 2009 3:02:56 PM

For the CPU: if you prefer performance, then choose Intel. If you prefer value, then choose AMD (Good enough performance for lower cost). Today both CPUs are cheaper so choose Intel.

For the Graphics: if you prefer wasting energy and money & not getting the best performance, choose nVidia. If you prefer lower cost, less energy and THE BEST PERFORMANCE: CHOOSE ATI.

For the best: Choose Intel and ATI.
a b à CPUs
a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
November 29, 2009 3:06:50 PM

Die zombie thread, die!
!