Intel vs AMD and ATI vs. NVIDIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Which do you guys recommend as the best and for a first time computer build? Intel or AMD? ATI vs NVIDIA? MOBO brand? Case brand? Thanks in advance if you respond.

If you're capable of waiting until Q4, Conroe (Intel) is the way to go if it is what it is hyped up to be.

However, if you're talking about building right now the best way to go, IMHO, is AMD (AM2) and Nvidia (GeForce 7900 GT).

AMD has an excellent selection and with the recent price drop it is an even better deal. I highly recommend dual core, you may regret it if you go single.

Good Luck.

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
If you're capable of waiting until Q4, Conroe (Intel) is the way to go if it is what it is hyped up to be.

Q4??? Is that a MOBO?

However, if you're talking about building right now the best way to go, IMHO, is AMD (AM2) and Nvidia (GeForce 7900 GT).
Why AMD and not Intel? Is AMD a lot better? And is Nvidia a lot better?[/quote]

AMD has an excellent selection and with the recent price drop it is an even better deal. I highly recommend dual core, you may regret it if you go single.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. I have a Dell 4100 P3 800 Mhz with 32MB and then a Dell Laptop 2.4Ghz, maybe 32MB video card. The laptop had one of its sockets for RAM burn out. I am scared of using it to play games because if the other DIMM burns out, I am out of a computer I need for college abroad. Do you think I should knock out as much value out of this laptop by getting a better video card? Or will it probably bust if I use it too much.

As long as your laptop is well ventilated you can use it for just about anything. Make sure your laptop is on a flat and hard surface. If you use your laptop on, for example, a bed it will not ventilate properly and will be more prone to failure caused by heat.

So, to answer your question, I would avoid using it, but just make sure it has space to breathe and is not on a blanket or other soft surface.

In reply to your other questions:

Q4 (Quarter Four) refers to the last 3 months of the year, it is a financial term.

It is in my opinion that AMD has better current offerings with their Socket AM2 platform. However, in Q4 of this year Intel will most likely start shipping it's new Core 2 Duo (Conroe) processors that have been (arguably) tested to be much fast than any current offering from either Intel or even AMD.

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I am still curious why you recommend AMD over Intel. I saw the speeds for the AMD and they were like 2.6 and 2.4. Intel had processors that were 3.0 and 3.2. All of them were dual core.

I am still curious why you recommend AMD over Intel. I saw the speeds for the AMD and they were like 2.6 and 2.4. Intel had processors that were 3.0 and 3.2. All of them were dual core.

Chip frequency does not equal performance

AMD currently outperforms Intel at lower clock speed because of their processor design. Intel's next generation processor (Conroe due in Q4) work at lower frequencies and achieves much better performance.

Take a look at Tom's Hardware CPU charts to see processor comparisons in different benchmarks, choose benchmarkes relevant to what you wish to do:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

WhatUsername

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
This si one of the oldest arguments there are. I think you should just go with whatever your gut thinks is best, and find the best parts for each.

i.e. right now

Pentium D 920, and 805 i heard is good

Amd 3800+ and 3800+x2

nvidia 7900gt

Ati x1800xt

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Judging by what he's asked and the Q4 question I'm really not sure he's qualified to build one either. Not getting on his case but damn the Intel/ AMD speed thing is really old news and not to know that throws up some serious red flags.

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I knew about the Q4 thing from before, but in the context that he used it, I thought he talked about some computer tech things.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
1) Go for intel core2duo, and if you can't wait get a pentium D that way you upgarde with ease later forlittle extra cost!
2) For for a Nvidia 7 series (not 6 series, not piont buy old stuff) like a 7900 or 7800 as theyare able to reach those HD resolution unlike ATI

Fursecul

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I would recomend AMD and Nvidia i think that they are the best compination and look for Falcon NorthWest :) and Ncidia 7900 GTX

zeekle

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
geeze guys you are giving advice on what to buy and you don't even know what his budget is or what hes going to use the computer for.

One thing is safe to say and that is today is a bad day to price out a new PC. Motherboards and CPUs on the intel and AMD side are in major price and technology flux.

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
geeze guys you are giving advice on what to buy and you don't even know what his budget is or what hes going to use the computer for.

One thing is safe to say and that is today is a bad day to price out a new PC. Motherboards and CPUs on the intel and AMD side are in major price and technology flux.

I was thinking about $1000 total. Something like the following:
$500 MOBO and CPU
$100 case
$150 hard drive
$50 DVD-R
$200 graphics card

The more I think about it, it seems that getting a XBox 360 or PS3 might be worth it. PS3's processor is like 3GHz. What do you guys think?

Trance183

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
well here it is dude. the answer to all your problems. Your questions are almost impossible to answer because you are always gonna get answers based on opinions and personal experiences. its the same as asking people if they recommend advil or tylennol. (if i spelled that right). Each brand has its ups and downs. the best thing to do is to figure out exactly what you plan on doing with your PC and then start looking up CPU performances based on those plans. i do recommend Tom's CPU Charts on the homepage. Like i said there is no real answer. :(.

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
well here it is dude. the answer to all your problems. Your questions are almost impossible to answer because you are always gonna get answers based on opinions and personal experiences. its the same as asking people if they recommend advil or tylennol. (if i spelled that right). Each brand has its ups and downs. the best thing to do is to figure out exactly what you plan on doing with your PC and then start looking up CPU performances based on those plans. i do recommend Tom's CPU Charts on the homepage. Like i said there is no real answer. :(.

I hope you are not thinking I just want to surf the net. lol. Remember that phrase in the 90s? lol. Anyway, I am looking to buy in the next few years, not now. Too bad there is no definitive answer of whether to pick AMD or Intel. Too bad there are no polls in the board.

WhatUsername

Distinguished
May 29, 2006

I hope you are not thinking I just want to surf the net. lol. Remember that phrase in the 90s? lol. Anyway, I am looking to buy in the next few years, not now. Too bad there is no definitive answer of whether to pick AMD or Intel. Too bad there are no polls in the board.

What the hell???? Why are you even asking us if you don't plan to buy for a few years?? are you a retard??? Things could be COMPLETLY different a few years from now........moron....

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
What the hell???? Why are you even asking us if you don't plan to buy for a few years?? are you a retard??? Things could be COMPLETLY different a few years from now........moron....[/quote]

Do not fret. High school will end soon.

My brother is getting a computer this summer. I am looking for things to for his computer as well as mine. I want to get the prices and specs of the better hardware and compare them to maybe a year of two in the future.

Please, stop being primitive. I can go to a football forum and hear your type of garble.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I hate to say it but he is right. Computer technology changes so fast that you can't compare what is available now to what will be available in 2 years... not possible. Two years ago dual core was not around and you could use 300w psu's to power almost anything. Video cards were great with 16mb of ram...

And I have to agree with the sentiments that you don't know what you are doing. AMD has been the performance leader for a couple years now due to their processor architecture (clock speed did not matter, performance does). A tricycle at 200 rpms will not out perform a mountain bike at 100 rpms.

This forum is a better tool to ask specific question on, not to get an education which you obviously lack. No one has the time or the inclination to teach you everything about computers in a forum.

And there is no definitive answer to who makes better cpu's because they are always coming out with new products to out do each other. Like who makes better sports cars? They are getting more horsepower and better features with each new model and advance at 1/10th the rate that computers do.

WhatUsername

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
What the hell???? Why are you even asking us if you don't plan to buy for a few years?? are you a retard??? Things could be COMPLETLY different a few years from now........moron....

Do not fret. High school will end soon.

My brother is getting a computer this summer. I am looking for things to for his computer as well as mine. I want to get the prices and specs of the better hardware and compare them to maybe a year of two in the future.

Please, stop being primitive. I can go to a football forum and hear your type of garble.[/quote]

High school got out 2 weeks ago =]

Guess theres not much you do know is there?

Trance183

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
guys relax, we should welcome this fella with open arms to the world of Tom's Forumz, lol. Afterall he is participating. But yeah dude, tell your bro that if he needs a computer this summer to do everything from surfing to gaming to editing then i do suggest he waits until Intel's desktop processor comes out. This Conroe cpu so far proves to be all the hype it looks to be. So far the high end versions of Conroe tend to beat AMD's best processors. So tell your bro to look into it. And as for you, if it really is necessary, come back in 2 years and post this question again. Welcome to the forum dude. :)

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
guys relax, we should welcome this fella with open arms to the world of Tom's Forumz, lol. Afterall he is participating. But yeah dude, tell your bro that if he needs a computer this summer to do everything from surfing to gaming to editing then i do suggest he waits until Intel's desktop processor comes out. This Conroe cpu so far proves to be all the hype it looks to be. So far the high end versions of Conroe tend to beat AMD's best processors. So tell your bro to look into it. And as for you, if it really is necessary, come back in 2 years and post this question again. Welcome to the forum dude. :)

Thanks for the welcoming. I just want to apoligize to the forum for my response. I do not know how you guys talk to each other here, but on another forum I was on, there was lots of flaming. It was too debasing. I hope it is not this way here.

WhatUsername

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I apologize as well. It just gets the best of me when people refuse to do some basic googling before they post. My language was out of control, again i am sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.