Sign in with
Your question

A7N8X-E Deluxe can't shut down windows XP properly

Last response: in Motherboards
June 20, 2006 2:10:42 PM

After installing the NVIDIA drivers for my motherboard, WinXP freezes in the shutdown screen. I'm not sure what the conflict may be.

I'm running AMD64 3200+
Sapphire ATI x1600 Pro 512mb AGP
1 gig ram

Should I be able to uninstall all the drivers and do it one by one to see what the problem is? Because it keeps happeneing even after I do it? Will a driver cleaner do the trick? I really don't want to format my hard drive and start again.
June 20, 2006 3:11:11 PM

please post your full specs

if we don't know what mobo you have and what chipset then we don't know how to help
June 20, 2006 3:40:03 PM

Quote:
After installing the NVIDIA drivers for my motherboard, WinXP freezes in the shutdown screen. I'm not sure what the conflict may be.

I'm running AMD64 3200+
Sapphire ATI x1600 Pro 512mb AGP
1 gig ram

Should I be able to uninstall all the drivers and do it one by one to see what the problem is? Because it keeps happeneing even after I do it? Will a driver cleaner do the trick? I really don't want to format my hard drive and start again.

Do you mean AMD Athlon XP 3200+?
Related resources
June 20, 2006 3:40:39 PM

my bad. I completely meant to, but forgot to post my mobo.

its an A7n8xe-deluxe motherboard (socketA(462)) with AMD64 3200+.
June 20, 2006 4:05:30 PM

Quote:
Do you mean AMD Athlon XP 3200+?

Yes, exactly.
June 20, 2006 4:36:28 PM

A driver re-load should do the trick. I would recommend going on nvidias web-site and download the latest nforce. The one on asus' site probably won't be the latest.

Also make sure APM is enabled in the bios.

Let me know if that works for ya
June 20, 2006 4:42:44 PM

Didn't even think that Asus might not have the latest Nforce. Good idea.

Not to sound like a complete idiot but what is APM? does that have anything to do with aperture?
June 20, 2006 5:00:59 PM

And DON'T install the Ide drivers, the nforce2 driver packs never fixed the ide bugs. Windoze ide drivers work and have fewer compatibility probs.
June 20, 2006 5:36:48 PM

APM is advanced power management. It is what enables your computer to go on standby and to turn itself off when you hit shut down.

I'm not sure exactly how to explain the graphics aperture size. I have the idea in my mind but I'm just not sure how to post it. Either way it should not affect the problem you're having.

Also, ignore the n00b who posted the problem with IDE drivers. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

One last suggestion, make sure in the Bios that Plug and Play O/S is set to true.
June 20, 2006 6:10:10 PM

Just did what you said and got a more recent NVIDIA driver/utilities. Its shutting down right now.

Thanks a bunch!
June 20, 2006 6:15:09 PM

Quote:
Just did what you said and got a more recent NVIDIA driver/utilities. Its shutting down right now.

Thanks a bunch!

Glad I could help

Cheers!
June 22, 2006 12:41:20 PM

what problems ??
June 22, 2006 7:43:46 PM

Stuff like dvd's not burning or burning only at 1-2X, lockups when shutting down or opening files, cd/dvd drives not being seen, and other generally flaky behavior. I haven't installed an nvidia ide driver since the problems I had with forceware 5.10 (the last update to nforce 2 boards I'm afraid to report) and it is an intermittant problem that does not affect every board. I say since no verifiable performance increases have ever been linked to its use, avoid possible conflicts and use the windows generic ide driver instead. Google "nvidia ide driver" and you'll see it mentioned several different places for several different reasons, few of them good.
June 22, 2006 7:58:21 PM

Yeah, all of those sound like IDE troubles.

Remember: DRIVERS ARE EVERYTHING.
June 23, 2006 1:13:10 PM

I finnaly got the shutdown problem fixed but in my control panel > system > device manager it says I'm missing drivers for 'netowrk controller' and some other network bus thing. My internet is working so what could these devices be and why am I missing the drivers.
June 23, 2006 4:38:11 PM

The updated nVidia drivers should have fixed those, because onboard networking goes through the chipset. But, if everything's working it really doesn't matter.
June 24, 2006 2:15:16 AM

you have 2 on-board network controllers , nVidia 10/100 , the other one is a Marvel 10/100/1000 , you need to reinstall the marvel driver if you ever want to use the second controller . this driver is seperate from the nVidia driver pack you installed.
the driver is available from windows update if you dont want
download from Asus or just use motherboard install CD
June 24, 2006 3:58:22 PM

Great. Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand why I have Marvell and Nvidia drivers backed up on a cd. I'll probably get the Marvell ones from windows update and it should fix that.

Thanks!
!