ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Dual sound cards locks up at windows

NewbieinAZ

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I just built this system and had it running with one PNY nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256 MB GDDR3 in the first PCI-E slot for a few days. Then I added my second card EVGA e-GeForce 7600GT 256 MB GDDR3 in the second PCI-E slot and the system hangs at start-up to windows. Have re-installed Windows Media Center twice and re loaded all drives off disk. They only way the system doesn't hang is when I remove the second card. This is even without SLI enabled I tried it with SLI and without SLI to see if that makes a difference and it doesn't matter. Just with the second video card in the PCI-E slot it causes it to hang.

halcyon

Splendid
I just built this system and had it running with one PNY nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256 MB GDDR3 in the first PCI-E slot for a few days. Then I added my second card EVGA e-GeForce 7600GT 256 MB GDDR3 in the second PCI-E slot and the system hangs at start-up to windows. Have re-installed Windows Media Center twice and re loaded all drives off disk. They only way the system doesn't hang is when I remove the second card. This is even without SLI enabled I tried it with SLI and without SLI to see if that makes a difference and it doesn't matter. Just with the second video card in the PCI-E slot it causes it to hang.

A couple of ??s in chaotic order:

1) Is onboard sound disabled in the bios?

2) Have you tried the sound card in different PCI slot (just for thoroughness in troubleshooting?

3) What kind of sound card is it? Do you have the latest available drivers for it installed?

4) Are you overclocking your rig?

5) Are you using any Media Center-specific drivers for your devices?

8O

NewbieinAZ

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
1. I did not disable anything in the BIOS and will check tonight. Not sure how to do that. I have looked at the BIOS but no changes.
2. I have only tried the PNY in PCIE 1 and never moved the EVGA card into that slot. I was going crazy and when I finally narrowed it down to that card I just want to get rid of it and get another PNY card. I don't want to create any more trouble for myself but if you think I should swap them around I will.
3. ASUS A8N32 I believe has build in sound so I don't need another card.
4. Not overclocking yet. I want too but am waiting for a solid rig before I go to that point. I don't even know how to do that either.
5. Just loaded Media Center by itself standard I didn't update any drivers.
Thank you for your quick response! Frustration is at it's all time high with this. All was great until I had to go an add the additional card with SLI.

NewbieinAZ

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I just changed out my PNY and EVGA 7600 GT cards and and with just the EVGA card in I got your Video card is not compatible with Media Center! UGH! Never thought that would be my problem. So I am returning it for the SAME EXACT PNY card. Too bad when I went to Fry's to get my second card they didn't have the PNY and that is how I ended up with the EVGA card.

PSU Ultra XFINITY 600 Watt ATX Dual 80mm fans.

After this is fixed I am so ready to put in my Thermaltake BigWater SE cooling. Have you done that yet?

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I don't understand how that video card could be incompatible with an OS, it just doesn't make any sense. Also, your post title should have read dual video cards as the 7600gt's are not sound cards...

Generally speaking I have never heard of any OS rejecting a video card.... See if the second PNY works or not.

Also, I'm just wondering what kind of FX processor you have?

halcyon

Splendid
I actually thought that something like this might have been his issue when he said he was using Windows MCE, MCE doesn't have quite the same driver model that XP has, though many believe it does.

On my Dell rig I noticed noticably significantly better performance going from MCE to XP SP2. I'd not be surprised if somthing along those lines has something to do with why M$ charges more for XP than it does for MCE. 8O