IBM accelerates silicon to more than 500 GHz

netspiderz-net

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Here the Tom's Hardware article page:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/20/ibm_500ghz_chip/

I'm fighting to reach 4GHz and they want to reach speed in terms of THz (=1000GHz). Is that fair?
:roll: Should I trow away my little and insignificant Pentium D805?

:arrow: A low bow!

:? PS: I pushed a little more my D805 from 3.6GHz to 3.7GHz and seems to be stable with Zalman cooler. Step by step I'll reach 500GHz, just wait... ehehehe... sh*t!

Bear_San

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Quite honestly, I found the fact that they use liquid helium to cool the chip to 4.5 degrees Kelvin much more interesting.

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
It's going to be interesting. What's actually kinda funny is the limitation that the 3GHz+ Intel chips have is the speed of light. Since data cannot make it from one end of the CPU to the other fast enough.

For IBM to achieve those kind of clock speeds I'm really curious how big the chip itself is; and what the TDP is.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah but IBM said they have no plans to get this Cell processors to desktop anytime soon. I wonder how much would this cpu cost when it's would finally be avialable to consumers. .5THz yeah great still we can't have it. :(

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
ya, my comp is barley stable at stock speeds and there over in thz almost, though im wondering how much they spent on cooling that lil thing, hehe musta been a crap load, but when it finally does hit the market how much will it cost and can we even afford it?

netspiderz-net

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Maybe one day we will jump into THz!

If that thing hit the desktop market Intel and AMD they will desapear.

It is more probable that they will use that technology in SuperComputers. We can not have such cold inside our Desktop cabinet! :arrow: Also is going to become danger... ehehe you can die if you touch it! ehehe WTH!

R3C0N

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
It's going to be interesting. What's actually kinda funny is the limitation that the 3GHz+ Intel chips have is the speed of light. Since data cannot make it from one end of the CPU to the other fast enough.

For IBM to achieve those kind of clock speeds I'm really curious how big the chip itself is; and what the TDP is.

Dude 3Ghz is not the speed of light 8O it's the frequency so as long as the wavelength are in nanometers or less the frequency can go way beyond THz..................... not tying to be an @ss but just to let people know hehe :D

adamryer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
yes that is a good point clock frequency has nothing to do with how fast the data travels from one end of the chip to the other.

eoan

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
It is more probable that they will use that technology in SuperComputers. We can not have such cold inside our Desktop cabinet! :arrow: Also is going to become danger... ehehe you can die if you touch it! ehehe WTH!

They managed 350Ghz at room temperature!

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
true, therefore the ungodly high clock speed means nothing if the data cant get there fast enough. u could have a 1 petahertz cpu but if ur ram is still ddr2 running at 1066 mhz the bottle neck is there, for that to work the fsb and ssb have to be up to par as well, running near 200ghz or so to move data fast enough so the cpu can be unleashed to its fullest potential. the spu is great but can the data move fast enough so that its unleashed? no, it cant even amd's 2ghz fsb wont work, its again to slow, u need like i said elaier 200 ghz to really keep up, so until then there are tons of bottle necks that need to be worked out

netspiderz-net

Distinguished
May 12, 2006

Are you pulling my leg?

netspiderz-net

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
That's right! Bottlenecks! You can not have such fast CPU if all your sistem is a bottleneck! So guys forghet about using that CPU at home! :lol:

R3C0N

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Maybe they will cool NorthBridge chips with Nitrogen and have HT running at 200GHz and even the Rams running at 1THz.............. :lol:...... I wonder how the quad SLi would perform :roll:...... no bottlenecks at all for the graphics adapter :wink:

CrazyCasta

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006

Dude 3Ghz is not the speed of light 8O it's the frequency so as long as the wavelength are in nanometers or less the frequency can go way beyond THz..................... not tying to be an @ss but just to let people know hehe :D
Wavelength has nothing to do with processors. It has to do with path length. Which at 3ghz is 10cm. So, in order to get 1thz without stuffing several instructions down a line at once somehow they'd have to have a .3mm travel, which is tiny.

CrazyCasta

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
true, therefore the ungodly high clock speed means nothing if the data cant get there fast enough. u could have a 1 petahertz cpu but if ur ram is still ddr2 running at 1066 mhz the bottle neck is there, for that to work the fsb and ssb have to be up to par as well, running near 200ghz or so to move data fast enough so the cpu can be unleashed to its fullest potential. the spu is great but can the data move fast enough so that its unleashed? no, it cant even amd's 2ghz fsb wont work, its again to slow, u need like i said elaier 200 ghz to really keep up, so until then there are tons of bottle necks that need to be worked out

This goes back to the speed of light. Unless you have the memory on die and only 1.5mm away, you're gonna have some decent lag time. Your processor would have to do some massive lookahead work.

CrazyCasta

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006

Are you pulling my leg?
Read the article dude. :!:

R3C0N

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Well if the speed of the cpu is in THz then the delay of the silicon will be in picoseconds rather than nanoseconds of the GHz cpu today so that preety much answers the distance of ram people are talking about..... but maybe that kind of cpu will have memory installed in them like cache nowadays in order to decrease the delay............

We people seriously need to get a real job...........living in fantacy world of THz that maybe a publicity stunt by IBM :p ...... we are desktop users............. what the hell are we gonna do the with THz? Play CELL FACTOR maybe.......hmmm....... 8)....... let the THz calculate the flying objects in the game........

netspiderz-net

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Maybe they will cool NorthBridge chips with Nitrogen and have HT running at 200GHz and even the Rams running at 1THz.............. :lol:...... I wonder how the quad SLi would perform :roll:...... no bottlenecks at all for the graphics adapter :wink:

If you have a CPU running at 500GHz I think that you won't need any GPU. Also the 'poor' and 'miserable' quad-SLI will be only a bottleneck for the entire system :) eheheh

R3C0N

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
pico is one of the smallest brothers of Mariosecond........ :lol: Mariosecond is between Wario and SuperMario.......... :p

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I don't know if you're joking or not (my failure to detect sarcasm is terrible) but...
a millisecond is 1000th of a second
a microsecond is a 1000000th of a second
a nano second is a 1000000000th of a second
a pico second is a 1000000000000th of a second

netspiderz-net

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Well... 1THz = 1000 GHz , (just add 3 more zeroes to GHz)
nano second = 1000000000th of a second a
pico second = 1000000000000th of a second (add 3 more zeroes to Mario...ehmmm... to nano)
it sounds good to me. It seems work! Like my brain! :roll: