New Build, can't get video **Resolved**

jvmiller

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I'm a first time builder, and I'm having some problems with video. When I turn on my computer, everything powers up (including the fan on the video card), but my monitor power light just keep blinking, and there's no picture. Here's what I did:

1. Installed power supply
2. Put CPU/Heatsink on Mobo
3. Installed Mobo
4. Put RAM in mobo
5. Put Video Card in mobo
6. Connected HDD to mobo
7. Connected various power cables.

The problem occurs with or without the harddrive being connected. My system is (all brand new, expect hdd):

Athlon 64 3500
Asus A8N5X Mobo
2x512Mb Corsair Value Select
FSP 400W
WD Caviar 7200RPM 30GB
XFX Geforce 7900 GT
-->http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150144

I'm using a VGA monitor with the DVI-adapter. The monitor doesn't show the "No connection" screen, the power light just blinks and there's no picture. Any help would be great...unless you want to tell me my video card is bad, then i'll be :cry: ....

Thanks

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Do you get any beeps while starting your comp up. 1 short beep would be good. Make sure the speaker is connected to your motherboard jumper of course. Check the motherboard manual for beep meanings. Do you have any video cards or another monitor you can swap out that are known to work? A lot of posts i found online about this don't seem to answer the question.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Have you made sure that your monitor is good? You've plugged in the extra 6 pin power for the video card? Try booting up with only one of the ram modules, then try the other. More often than not something is either not plugged in properly, one of the ram modules is bad or you don't have enough power to post.

jvmiller

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Yes, the monitor is good. I was just using it yesterday. The video card has the pci-e power dongle plugged in too. But, although the speaker is plugged in (I heard it beep yesterday on old computer), I don't get any beeps at start up. What does that mean? I've found the correct dimm to put the ram in, and i've only put one in. I've also tried other ram. Unfortunately the only other video card i have is agp.

As a side note, I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I'm reusing my old case, and for some reason now I have to hold down the power button for a second or two before anything revs up instead of just pressing it.

Thanks for the help (I'm absolutely dying to get this thing working!)

jvmiller

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I'm so f***ing dumb. I didn't have the 12V dongle connected to the motherboard. I didn't have that on my old motherboard, and for future reference, whats it used for?

Thanks

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If you are talking about the square 4 pin power connector to the motherboard it is for cpu power. Both your motherboard manual and your power supply manual should have mentioned this connector.