Here's an interesting topic, I believe: Whence Intel's share

RafterManFMJ

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
...price.

As of right now, intel (INTC) is trading at $18.17, near its 52 week low of $16.75. Now, should conroe turn out to be:

Faster than...
Cheaper than...
Less power hungry than...

AMD's chips, logically they will gain market share, and sell more chips. Seems logical to assume their stock price will appriciate as well. Your thoughts on this? Curious as I've been accumulating Intel for about 2 months now on the idea that they will come out of their 4-5 year stock slump on the strenghth of the conroe chip.

In the last 3 months, AMD has gone from just under $35 to $25.76 today.
While intel has gone from around $19.75 to $18.17 today...

That's a 3 month decline of 26% for AMD shareholders
and one of 8% for Intels (note i did not factor in Dividends, which Intel pays and AMD does not.)

Let me know what you think - Intel, good buy at ~18.00 share? I think so!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
...price.

As of right now, intel (INTC) is trading at $18.17, near its 52 week low of $16.75. Now, should conroe turn out to be:

Faster than...
Cheaper than...

AMD's chips, logically they will gain market share, and sell more chips. Seems logical to assume their stock price will appriciate as well. Your thoughts on this? Curious as I've been accumulating Intel for about 2 months now on the idea that they will come out of their 4-5 year stock slump on the strenghth of the conroe chip.

and one of 8% for Intels (note i did not factor in Dividends, which Intel pays and AMD does not.)

intel will not gain back marketshare. That's not how it works. they will keep the deals they have as will AMD.

Also AMD hit $40. Intel's Core 2 is causing this drop. Ananlysts know that Intel has ot rid itself of TONS of P4s and the price drop only means that CPUs will be undervalued for at least a year.

not cheap but undervalued.

Thx Intel. you should have dumped the NetBust years ago.

RafterManFMJ

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
...price.

Faster than...
Cheaper than...

intel will not gain back marketshare. That's not how it works. they will keep the deals they have as will AMD.

Also AMD hit $40. Intel's Core 2 is causing this drop. Ananlysts know that Intel has ot rid itself of TONS of P4s and the price drop only means that CPUs will be undervalued for at least a year.

Explain pls you comment that intel will not gain back market share, this is not how it works.

Current deals are signed, true, but if you are building a server farm you need to worry about electrical consumption as well as chip performance; if intel has the best solution, you'd be a fool not to use their chips. Hell, I'd fire any CIO who didn't employ the best solution. So, again unless I'm missing something, Intel will get hte majority of new deals.

In fact I and many others on this board are awaiting conroe to upgrade or build new systems and it follows that even some CIOs are waiting to build/upgrade server farms and facilities until conroe ships. Does this make sense or am I off my nut? Thanks again!

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
...price.

Faster than...
Cheaper than...

But you said you were an analyst, why did you word it that you aren’t one?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Sure that 's how it works. Look at how many IT guys kept their jobs whie AMD was killing Intel in power and perf. They were all buying Dell. Before competing with AMD Core2 has to compete with NetBust. Either way Intel is goign to take a beating this year.

either they sell Core 2 and leave lots of P4 stock left or they sell P4 and have to lots of Core2 around.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Everyone needs to give AMD a chance to demo their next gen chip 2 quarter's before it's release before they give up on them. Gawd I love these games the companies are playing with each other :lol:

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I think the reason someone is saying that intel's stock won't rise considerably because it doesn't matter how good your processor is, if you're selling them cheap and are unlikely to rapidly gain market share investors are not going to see you as a worthwhile investment. Us geeks may know a thing or two about what's hot and what's not but the rest of the world looks on with a more practical eye.

What I find is more interesting is intel's over production of chips. In the short term this will not do them any favours as they will be selling similar numbers of chips for less money. However, if I do alot of speculating here, intel's large production has meant that the p4s are extremely cheap. You can now buy a half decent computer for under $200 which means that the pc is finally something available to billions rather than millions.

I personally think this is why intel is investing heavily in home entertainment pcs (VIIV). Most people on lower incomes don't buy pcs so they can word process on them, they don't buy them to play games, they don't even need them to look at the internet. What people do buy in that sector is DVD players and audio systems. If they can just say to people "hey look, you can have your DVD player and music system all in one and browse the internet for <$200" they might just convert. It's not like microchips are expensive to produce as it's just a bit of silicon and a few grams of metal (all the money is in the design and machine purchase costs). Thus microchips are perfect for mass production and could make intel a tonne of money.

This is not so far fetched, it's been done before with the PIC processor - although that was obviously alot simpler to design.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You managed to talk pure rubbish once again...

How did AMD gain marketshare? I thought one company has its deals and the other company has theirs...