Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

When an ATC asks me if I am familiar with the SIDS and STARS for a given
airport, what is he asking?
I know it's to do with Departure and Arrival routes, but is he asking if I
know what altitude I should be at at certain points? I replied no, and asked
for Radar vectors, but wondered how my flight would have been different if I
knew how SIDS and STARS work.

Cheers,
Chris

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:00:43 +1000, "Chris" <here@there.com.au> wrote:

>When an ATC asks me if I am familiar with the SIDS and STARS for a given
>airport, what is he asking?
>I know it's to do with Departure and Arrival routes, but is he asking if I
>know what altitude I should be at at certain points? I replied no, and asked
>for Radar vectors, but wondered how my flight would have been different if I
>knew how SIDS and STARS work.
>
>Cheers,
>Chris

Join Vatsim, and you can start using them all the time.

Bob

There is an excellent tutorial on just this subject by Los Angeles
VATSIM controller Tom Flanary http://www.laartcc.org/tf/tutorial.pdf.
Start with that.

More useful links include:

+ Daniel Hill's "How to Fly a STAR" tutorial
http://vatsim.net/star.html

+ Charles Woods' navigation course
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

+ MyAirplane.com for all current US procedures, including Departure
Procedures (formerly known as SIDS), STARs, and Instrument Approach
Procedures (IAPs)
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/index.php

+ Navdata.at for procedures around the world
http://www.navdata.at/php/charts/charts.php

+ Simroutes for preferred routes between common destinations
http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/showplans.aspx When flying IFR on VATSIM
in the United States, this is where I usually start. If there's a route
available, it will tell me which DP and which STAR is standard; I use
these to file my flight plan, and print out the ones I don't already
have. By the time that's done, ATC has had time to "digest" my plan,
and things go quickly from there.

+ Finally, for IFR within a given ATC zone (ARTCC in US, FIR
elsewhere), it's extremely helpful to check out the zone website. These
will often have all the charts you need, as well as preferred routes.
Where does one find these websites? Start at http://www.laartcc.org/

Good Question, SID/STARS are pretty much pre-programmed routes in the sky
for arrivals and departures. Like a highway, I can't fly one though

"Chris" <here@there.com.au> wrote in message
> When an ATC asks me if I am familiar with the SIDS and STARS for a given
> airport, what is he asking?
> I know it's to do with Departure and Arrival routes, but is he asking if I
> know what altitude I should be at at certain points? I replied no, and
> asked for Radar vectors, but wondered how my flight would have been
> different if I knew how SIDS and STARS work.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Go to www.atcmonitor.com. This will show you the Macey arrival to Atlanta
(KATL). Very interesting to visual of a STAR in action. You can watch the
aircraft as they 'funnel' into the Atlanta Center area. Like a superhighway
in the sky! Don't know of any SID or departure site.

"Chris" <here@there.com.au> wrote in message
> When an ATC asks me if I am familiar with the SIDS and STARS for a given
> airport, what is he asking?
> I know it's to do with Departure and Arrival routes, but is he asking if I
> know what altitude I should be at at certain points? I replied no, and
> asked for Radar vectors, but wondered how my flight would have been
> different if I knew how SIDS and STARS work.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:00:43 +1000, "Chris" <here@there.com.au> wrote:
>
>>When an ATC asks me if I am familiar with the SIDS and STARS for a given
>>airport, what is he asking?
>>I know it's to do with Departure and Arrival routes, but is he asking if I
>>know what altitude I should be at at certain points? I replied no, and
>>asked
>>for Radar vectors, but wondered how my flight would have been different if
>>knew how SIDS and STARS work.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Chris
>>

> Join Vatsim, and you can start using them all the time.
>

> Bob

I am flying with VATSIM. It was one of the VATSIM controllers that asked me
if I was familiar and able to fly them. They asked again tonight, and I just
said I wanted radar vectors. They were ok with it.
Chris

I always have a hard time trying to decide which Star to use in my
flightplans. Usually, some of the stars have it where if your coming in
from the northeast you use x star and if you are coming in from the
southwest you use y. But some of the stars are really not clear and its
depending on the arrival runway you are using.

I've also tried to (offline) download real weather and see which runway is
the active then choosing that star and report it in my flight plan. Is this
correct?

Mark G
Not4wood

___| reply |__________________________________________________________
I always have a hard time trying to decide which Star to use in my
flightplans. Usually, some of the stars have it where if your coming in

from the northeast you use x star and if you are coming in from the
southwest you use y. But some of the stars are really not clear and its

depending on the arrival runway you are using.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Awesome! Thanks David!
Cheers,
Chris

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1126444375.13837@forums.simradar.com...
> There is an excellent tutorial on just this subject by Los Angeles
> VATSIM controller Tom Flanary http://www.laartcc.org/tf/tutorial.pdf.
> Start with that.
>
> More useful links include:
>
> + Daniel Hill's "How to Fly a STAR" tutorial
> http://vatsim.net/star.html
>
> + Charles Woods' navigation course
> http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm
>
> + MyAirplane.com for all current US procedures, including Departure
> Procedures (formerly known as SIDS), STARs, and Instrument Approach
> Procedures (IAPs)
> http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/index.php
>
> + Navdata.at for procedures around the world
> http://www.navdata.at/php/charts/charts.php
>
> + Simroutes for preferred routes between common destinations
> http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/showplans.aspx When flying IFR on VATSIM
> in the United States, this is where I usually start. If there's a route
> available, it will tell me which DP and which STAR is standard; I use
> these to file my flight plan, and print out the ones I don't already
> have. By the time that's done, ATC has had time to "digest" my plan,
> and things go quickly from there.
>
> + Finally, for IFR within a given ATC zone (ARTCC in US, FIR
> elsewhere), it's extremely helpful to check out the zone website. These
> will often have all the charts you need, as well as preferred routes.
> Where does one find these websites? Start at http://www.laartcc.org/

myairplane.com has all the sids and stars you could want.

Just hunt around and you can find any chart for any of the States.

Mark G
Not4wood

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:44:00 +1000, "Chris" <here@there.com.au> wrote:

>I am flying with VATSIM. It was one of the VATSIM controllers that asked me
>if I was familiar and able to fly them. They asked again tonight, and I just
>said I wanted radar vectors. They were ok with it.
>Chris

They will usually give you vectors if they are not too busy or they
know you are a newbie. When I first started, I would state on my
flight plan that I was a beginner. Once you get comfortable with the
system, learning the sids and stars ( especially the stars) is a big
help. I print out all the stars for the airport that I am flying into
and then use the star information to create my flight plan. Works
like a charm and you can learn them in no time. Get airport
information here.

http://www.airnav.com/

Bob

Who decides the STARS that you use? Is this decided before hand in the
flight plan, or does the destination airport assign you a STAR when you get
in area? In FS9 on single player is a pain trying to do STARs in IFR
conditions as FS9 will always assign you radar vectors, which if you don't
follow could lead into a collision with other aircraft.

RobP

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:44:00 +1000, "Chris" <here@there.com.au> wrote:
>
>>I am flying with VATSIM. It was one of the VATSIM controllers that asked
>>me
>>if I was familiar and able to fly them. They asked again tonight, and I
>>just
>>said I wanted radar vectors. They were ok with it.
>>Chris
>

> They will usually give you vectors if they are not too busy or they
> know you are a newbie. When I first started, I would state on my
> flight plan that I was a beginner. Once you get comfortable with the
> system, learning the sids and stars ( especially the stars) is a big
> help. I print out all the stars for the airport that I am flying into
> and then use the star information to create my flight plan. Works
> like a charm and you can learn them in no time. Get airport
> information here.
>
> http://www.airnav.com/
>

> Bob

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:58:31 GMT, "ROBERT POLLARD"
<RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Who decides the STARS that you use? Is this decided before hand in the

IRL STARS are laid out for the airports that use them. Which one you
get depends not only on the direction from which you are arriving, but
the altitude as well.

The nomenclature, SID was supposed to have been dropped several years
ago and replaced with just Departure Procedure, or DP for short. Still
you still hear pilots using the phrase SID for Standard Instrument
Departure.

Again with the departure it depends on which runway you use for take
off and the direction of your flight.
>flight plan, or does the destination airport assign you a STAR when you get
>in area? In FS9 on single player is a pain trying to do STARs in IFR
>conditions as FS9 will always assign you radar vectors, which if you don't
>follow could lead into a collision with other aircraft.

This is not uncommon in IRL as well. On a DP from Pontiac (PTK) I
filed a DP and was receiving vectors by the time the gear was coming
up. They gave me Turn heading, climb to and maintain, and then go
direct MBS VOR as soon as able.

When talking to ATC you have filed a STAR "based on the carts for your
altitude and direction of arrival", and you most likely will receive
that. OTOH you can expect vectors as well.

Going into PTK from the north you file a STAR that goes into Detroit
and only fly a portion of it before transitioning with vectors into
PTK.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

In article <p67ci1h5ituhnc4dea71e6msrt1i949sf8@4ax.com>,
Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net (Roger) wrote:

> The nomenclature, SID was supposed to have been dropped several years
> ago and replaced with just Departure Procedure, or DP for short. Still
> you still hear pilots using the phrase SID for Standard Instrument
> Departure.

It depends which part of the world you are flying in. In the UK they are
still called SIDS (or for some airports SDRs - Standard Departure Routes)

If you are flying at a busy airport on VATSIM it is important to know how
to fly the SID - the controller may well not have time to give you
vectors if he's got a lot of inbounds to sort out. If you get the charts
for the airports they'll show you the route you should fly.

Ruth
Deputy Director, VATSIM-UK

Thanks Ruth,

But is there anyway to figure out which Star is currently being used before
you get to your arrival Airport so you can have the chart already in hand so
you don't have to panic to go looking for it??

Mark G
Not4wood