how do i reinstall my soundcard based on windows xp

September 25, 2004 11:56:19 PM

when i wrote zeros to my computer because i had a virus
since i did that my sound card is gone how do i get it
back
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 2:04:35 AM

lisa wrote:
> when i wrote zeros to my computer because i had a virus
> since i did that my sound card is gone how do i get it
> back

Download and install the driver.

You must know what sound card you have. Look on your receipt/invoice for
the computer - ask the people you bought the system from, open it up and
look, etc.

There are applications out there that can identify what hardware you have,
but I think they all depend on a properly installed system - as I think they
pull the information from the registry. Perhaps they do not - so I will
recommend you try two different ones:

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

NVidia Video Card Drivers

ATI Video Card Drivers
http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

Creative Labs Sound Device
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

C-Media Sound Device
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm

Good luck!

--
<- Shenan ->
September 27, 2004 6:48:53 PM

Remove the card from Device Manager. When you reboot the computer Windows
will find the hardware and try to install the software for it. Have the
installation CD that came with the card handy. Windows may ask you to
locate the driver.

!