Changing the default HD

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
posted on the HD forum, but little response

Problem:
I have a 64 gb ssd, which I use as the boot drive, and a 1tb hd I want use as a game/data drive. Most programs would ask where to install or you can choose a 'custom install.' However, there are a few which automatically start installing on the default/boot drive without making a user inquiry. This PC is my first build, but I'm thinking that boot problems are usually solved through bios, while program installations problems are solved through the OS. I've tried disk management, i.e. an unsuccessful attempt to change disk 0 to disk 1 and vice versa, but to no avail.

Solution
Are you using win 7 os? If you are when you download it should ask if you want to save or run. If you save it would save it to the download folder in win 7. You would have to change your boot drive in the bios to the 1tb drive but then you would not be able to boot to windows.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Are you using win 7 os? If you are when you download it should ask if you want to save or run. If you save it would save it to the download folder in win 7. You would have to change your boot drive in the bios to the 1tb drive but then you would not be able to boot to windows.

Solution