PC wont boot with DVD-drive unplugged...

Adon

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
my Sony DVD drive I bought a few months back looks like its faulty, while the computer is on all the drive does is spin and load spin and load, it wont stop...
anyway I figure since I rarely use it I'll just unplug it for now and use my PC without the drive... but now when I try turning my PC on it just will not BOOT!
sits there for about 5 minutes at the bios screen, and then just goes to say...Nvidia boot agent fail..... please insert disk.. blah blah

I tried resetting the bios settings, I tried switchin the bios settings NOT to boot from CDROM only from HDD....
but nothing works....
is there a simple solution to this ??

weekendwarrior

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Is your HDD an IDE drive like the DVD?
Is your HDD on the same IDE cable as your DVD?
If it is, then it is possible that your DVD player is the Master on the cable, and your HDD is hard-set to Slave.
If this is the case, your HDD will not respond to handshaking from the motherboard, and the BIOS thinks the HDD and the DVD are both offline.

Adon

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I dont know if my HDD is an IDE drive or not...
but I don know that NO the cable that goes to my HDD is not the same cable that goes into the DVD.....
in the bios it looks like this...

Primary master: My 80 gig HDD with windows XP pro
Primary slave: The Sony DVD drive
Secondary master: My 40 gig HDD with windows Vista Beta 2
Secondary slave: none

so the Windows XP pro I'm trying to load is the primary master here...

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Sorry but that doesn't make sense. If your hdd is primary master and your dvd drive is the primary slave then they had to be on the same ide cable....

The ide cable is the thin wide cable used to connect ide devices such as hdd's and optical drives. Still used for optical drives but most hdd's now come with s-ata cables which are much smaller (about 1/4 as wide).

Zerclon

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Doesn't matter, just try selecting your DVD drive from the list in the bios, and then you select the type and set it to none, don't know exactly without watching it how to do it but just set it to "none" and you should be fine

Most likely it is a fixed entry in the bios and not "auto detect" (you can also put it on auto detect offcourse) if you then disconnect the drive you will get an error

Zerclon

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
And if that's what you already tried, and doesn't work... I really don't know what to do :? maybe you got a faulty CD in your dvd drive?