High pitched beep from PSU

donnagual

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
My psu is an Antec Smartpower 450w (came with my SonataII case).

Recently it is giving out this really high pitched beep. Just audible enough to be really annoying.

Voltmeter readings are all stable at this point, but I am assuming this is a sign that it is on it's last legs. Anyone had this happen to them before?

donnagual

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Brought it into the shop I bought it from, and they agreed there is a problem. They're going to send it to Antec to see what they say, and I should get it back in a month.

So..... I couldn't wait and bought myself the new Antec Neo HE 550.

Wow. What a sweet PSU. Triple +12v rails with 18amps on each (total 54amps), One 8cm fan so it's super quiet, and the part I love the most is the cable management system where you ONLY install the cables you need. The rest stay in the box and never go in your computer.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Brought it into the shop I bought it from, and they agreed there is a problem. They're going to send it to Antec to see what they say, and I should get it back in a month.

So..... I couldn't wait and bought myself the new Antec Neo HE 550.

Wow. What a sweet PSU. Triple +12v rails with 18amps on each (total 54amps), One 8cm fan so it's super quiet, and the part I love the most is the cable management system where you ONLY install the cables you need. The rest stay in the box and never go in your computer.

i got a NeoHE too..

u kno u could have to exchanged it at the sotre instead of sending it back to antec

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
good, asus has issues with neo-hes, although supposedly there is a new revision that solves that issue. just making sure.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
i have a smartpower 500W and i get the same weird beep your talking about , although only when the gfx card is under load, and i know the noise is coming from the psu as i originally thought it was from the my ati 1800xt but it is the same beep your talking, i have been too lazy to RMA but i guess is should

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
easy to say when i have to deal with the RMA process and not have a comp to use b/c my other psu was a pussy 300W that couldn't power my gfx by itself :lol: