How often do you need to build a new computer?

I am wondering how often you guys need to make completely new computers. Anyone want to share? I am also wondering if it is possible to upgrade every few years instead of buying a completely new computer - that is, just buying a new CPU and graphics card, instead of building a new MOBO and the rest. Please inform me. I am very interested.
30 answers Last reply
More about build computer
  1. Well I cant remember ever getting a completely new computer. It's usually one component at a time. This time it was a new monitor (lcd) a few months ago. Then last month I got a new mobo, cpu, ram, and video card (pci-e). That was a pretty big chunk. Next will be a new powersupply, then a new hardrive, and finally a new 65nm X2 :lol:
    I usually upgrade my cpu every 2 years if thats what you want to know, but this time since i had to change cpu sockets with the upgrade I bought a cheap cpu to hold me over till price drops.
    I think its time to upgrade when your computer no longer does what you need it to do or does it too slow. For example when BF2 came out our computer wouldnt play it so we had to upgrade it to play the newer games.
  2. Quote:
    I am wondering how often you guys need to make completely new computers. Anyone want to share? I am also wondering if it is possible to upgrade every few years instead of buying a completely new computer - that is, just buying a new CPU and graphics card, instead of building a new MOBO and the rest. Please inform me. I am very interested.

I tend to get about five years of solid use out of a desktop and maybe 3 out of a laptop. At about year 3, the desktop slides down one step and is replaced by the next new thing but stays in active use another couple of years. Something catastrophic always happens to the laptops. But the old stuff typically gets a little use after the lifetimes listed above. For example, we have an old Compaq PC that's 9 years old and it still does fine as a CD duplicator or as a low tech gamer when a bunch of kids are over. Our current game boxes are socket 939 Opterons with 1900XTs and I hope to keep their config pretty stable for at least a couple of years. I also expect to replace our 4-year old P4 home office desktop with a Conroe machine that will be a strong game box later this year.
  3. Quote:

Depends on what you use it or need it for. Upgrading every few years is okay, but you can only upgrade components for so long before you hit a wall. Meaning new technologies may come out that requires you to completely overhaul your system if you want a particular component like a PCI-e GPU.

My system is over 4 years old. It's an Athlon XP-M 2600+ with a Radeon 9800Pro. At this point in time it is not worth it for me to upgrade a component or two. I will be replacing the entire system once Conroe becomes available.

The last time I upgraded was about three years ago by adding a Radeon 9800Pro after my Geforce 4200Ti died after only 6 months. How often you may want to upgrade depends on how much money you have and how demanding you are.

An avid gamer may want to upgrade the GPU every 12 - 18 months. The average gamer can probably stretch it out to every 2 or 3 year. It all depends.

This system still has it's uses though since I'm basically giving it to my cousin for free after I build my new PC. It's old, but it's light years away from his Pentium 3 733MHz.
  4. How often do we need to? Every couple years, though asynchronous upgrading over time seems to generally be the best solution.

How often we want to, though... that's a trickier question, and is usually answered in weeks, as each new thing comes down the line.

How often we do build new computers generally falls somewhere in the middle, as dictated by budgetary constraints.

EDIT: I should also mention, there's the last question: how often do we get rid of computers? Because, for instance, the computer I use for web browsing (i.e., now) is an old 900mhz Celeron. Serves that purpose excellently, and if I get some spyware/virii/other random problems making it unuseable, I can just do a clean install of the OS without worrying about loosing anything. Having and old box lets me keep my new baby clean and safe, so while it's gaming days may be long gone (rather, may never have been), I get great use out of it.
  5. I've had my current PC for a year. I've replaced the CPU, motherboard, case, and PSU. It was originally a refurb HP that was made in 2004, and I bought it in summer 2005. The P4 (fukcing Prescott) and mobo fried, and when I bought replacements, I also replaced the case and PSU. Despite having a crappy graphics card, it still plays my games decently at 1280x1024. At least I'm not stuck on AGP. My next upgrade will be a new GPU when the DX10 cards come out. And I might replace the mobo because I've had nothing but problems with this DFI.
  6. Quote:
    And I might replace the mobo because I've had nothing but problems with this DFI.

What kind of problems?
  7. I'd like to build a computer from scratch every four years or so.

The first two years my computer is alright for most, if not all, modern stuff.
    The second two years the computer will become main straim but still able to run just about anything, although perhaps with lesser settings.
    After more than four years the computer will not be able to keep up with the latest and greatest software.

Actually, my last computer lasted five + years. I was pretty pleased about that.
    :wink:
  8. Quote:
    And I might replace the mobo because I've had nothing but problems with this DFI.

What kind of problems?

The SATA hard drive is recognized as an IDE drive, and the computer won't boot if there's a USB device plugged in.
  9. Quote:

What kind of problems?

The SATA hard drive is recognized as an IDE drive, and the computer won't boot if there's a USB device plugged in.

Have you tried reloading the OS? Any help from DFI Street?
  10. Quote:
    Have you tried reloading the OS?

Yes
    Quote:
    Any help from DFI Street?

I haven't checked.
  11. I think this totally depends on what you use the computer for. We have some customers that only surf the net, do email, and a little word processing using Windows 95 machines from the mid 90s. Our main business machine that we use for invoicing, etc. is about 5 years old. If you're gaming, I think you'd be upgrading only certain parts every 1-2 years, and a totally new one whenever you feel you want to, or a failure makes up your mind for you. Only you know if you need a new machine.
  12. I've done two PCs in the last three years.
  13. I find 4 years is the max for game use. I do ugrades along the way, but by 4 years old, many of the components are too behind technologically to be worthwhile messing with. Then I build new from scratch with all new parts and use the old one for backup and office work.
  14. if you're rich you could build every 6 months. Need to build? Only when the pain of upgrading exceeds the pain of building
  15. I think that 4 years is the maximum I have gone before building a new computer's core components. That would be mb, cpu, and gpu. Typically I can reuse hdd's and ram. When I do random upgrades my older computer gets the parts and I just keep playing hand me down as long as the components are compatible. I currently have 2 computers and 1 laptop running and I'll have a htpc going this fall. I'll probably reuse some of the components I have now into the htpc and upgrade my gaming rig with either conroe or am2 but I'll keep the video cards.
  16. Hi,

I built new gaming machines last year, 2000, and 1997. I build two new machines when a game we want to play will not run well enough on our old machine. I usually don't upgrade existing machines (except memory and maybe bigger HDDs). I seldom reuse parts from an old machine since the new stuff is usually so much better.

And I still don't have a good plan for the old machines. I've got twelve total around the house, going back to a 386 :( I've used some of them for print and file servers, some for routers, and usually play with OS on some.

--Pete
  17. Depends on what you need really and want. I build new every 3-4 years. I will add more ram and upgrade the video card maybe every 2. Going beyond upgrades and building a system is more because of new motherboards and cpu's that wont work with upgrades. Jan 2007 will be a good time to build new. With intel's new cpu in the mainstream and apperently will be much faster then amd it will easily make a good reason to build new. But as long as you can upgrade then do it. It will save money, if you can get away with it.
  18. If i could I would do a whole new build every 3 years (less if I had the money but i think 3 is a decent margin). My current rig is 3 years old and I have the money but my car just broke down.

What a choice...build a rig and play all the games on max (haven't done that in a while) or fix the car and keep my job...It not only depends on when you want/need to but priorities play a big part too in my case.

I do upgrade when i have some spare cash lying around and I'm not happy with performance but that seldomly happens.
  19. I changes my PCs every year nearly and sell them off to my friends :D and buy a new one again as i like to be on top in technology i compete on gaming competitions (TWL) so after a year my pc.s are still very good to the normal PC gamer so i get a good price and buy new. I just had the x2 4400 and 1900xtx 6 months ago and had problems with it so the shop has agreed to take it back give me my money back. have ordered My new pc and here is my killing machine :twisted:

1 VA3000BWA
    THERMALTAKE TSUNAMI VA3000 Black wind Dual USB2 Audio Firewire& Speaker port WO/Power

1 P5W DH DELUXE
    ASUS Mainboard S-775 i975X ATX 2xPCI-E Audio 2xGbLAN 1394 SATA Raid WLAN Retail

1 BX80547RE2533CN
    INTEL CPU Celeron D 326 2.53GHz S-775 533MHz 256K Boxed "Prescott" EM64T Version (until conroe comes out) then E6700 or x6800

1 EAX1900XTX/2DHTV/512M
    ASUS VGA-Card RX1900XTX 512MB PCI-E 2xDVI HDTV Retail

1 W0117RED
    THERMALTAKE 750W ToughPower ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V Active PFC

1 GX22GB6400DC
    GEIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz BGA Brushed Aluminum Heat Spreader Retail

1 TS-H492A/WBCH
    SAMSUNG CD-RW/DVD 52X/32X/52X + 16X Bulk Black With Software

1 70SB046002003
    CREATIVE Soundcard Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
  20. 2 pcs in 6 months...built a 2nd pc with my old parts and sold it off to my boss...i completely redid my system i built dec 2005
  21. Still have my Pentium 133, was 100 mhz originally, from the early ninetys. When I was in college the calculator was invented. In high school the electric typewriter, not kidding. When I was born Kruschev said He would bury me? What do you think I did? Ducked? Ran Windows 95 on a Packard Bell that had 16 megs of RAM built onto the MB. Tore that up and put together a 133 with a MATROX video card with 4 gigs of RAM on the GPU. (I still have it). Reloaded windows 95 about every two weeks, thats how often it crashed, doing business on the web (BEFORE EBAY WAS AROUND) out of San Fran and taking in 20 g. a week selling antiques. Really old stuff. Anyway. Finally bought a Gateway 450 tower thing with a Pentium 3 with a monster 450 MHZ Pentium processor with 256 megs of RAM. Used that till I went banckrupt dueling with Ebay until they won. Ebay won by the way. That's why you and I are talking, honest to goodnes truth. Eveytime you log on there remember me, one of the one's who lost to them. I can't remember how many computer rigs I have built since I lost my money gambling and fighting ebay. The gambling part was the fun part if your listening. Lets see:

Built 4 or 5 AMD socket 754's which I still have running. An ABIT, AN ASUS, Two MSI. CPU are one AMD 64 Clawhammer, Two AMD 64 2.4's and an AMD 64 3700 2.4. All of those are running right now. So is my AMD Socket A 3200 2.1 dual channel PC3200 dual channel. I have VISTA BETA 2 on there on two hard drives.

Let's see Before all the AMD 64's I bought a Power spec Pentium 4 3.0. Fried the processor in the back bedroom leaving the door closed. No, not that...just some kids playing games in the hot summer, it fried. Went in there and the screen was blue. Permanently. Bought another Pentium 4 3.0 and stuck it in and the hard drive fried. Heard it ticking, but what did I know...sounded like the MoBo to me. Got an Abit IC7 Max 3, the nicst board I had up to that time, but for some reason I tore that out and ended up with a DFI Lanparty 875 chipset. The party was a dud. That is running till this day in the front office of one of the businnesses own. I curse loudest at that thing.

Lets see. Built my AMD 4800 X2 last in January I think. Have added and added to the point I need something more to ply my expertise with. Not computers...women, but that's another story. Anyway...your still listening right? I just built this Pentium 805 D Smitty. First I clocked it 3.0. Walked around the house like I ws on drugs thining about for two days. read a little. Then a few days ago I got it to 3.2. Again, made sure my love life was still in tack (is that how you spell it). Thought about it for a few days and I'll be darned. I clocked it to 3.555.6. It's idleing right now at 44c. The Vcore is at 1.36. So hey, I've just begun.

So to answer your question, I've probably upgraded my computers about about weekend for the past 13 years or so.
  22. That's some real interresting stuff there man. Wish I had that many computers...Might wanna look at some of the typo's though, makes it difficult to understand in some areas.

"in tact" is the one you were unsure of for starters.
  23. Short answer: I upgrade every other generation of hardware, usually every 1 1/2 to 2 years. I also usually way 2-4 months after a new technology comes out before I buy it, and I save a lot of money that way. A "new computer" constitutes purchasing a new CPU, Motherboard, Memory and Video Card. Everything else I upgrade one at a time because the technology of the more minor components does not progress as quickly and the standards rarely change.

Upgrading minor components one at a time is what I do, probably about ever 6 months or so. New sound cards, monitors, speakers, those kinds of things.

But for CPU's Video Cards, Memory and Motherboards, its best to replace all of them in one go, buy them all at the same time.

If you buy them 1 component at a time and just let them sit on the shelf until you can afford the rest, you'll find that by the time you have all 4 components, the price could have dropped on the ones you've already bought by up to $200 or more!

Those 4 components are the 4 that constitute a "new machine" in my book.

I keep my computer case for a looooooooooong time. Same with sound cards, DVD-RW's, Power Supplies, monitors ect. Most of the time that stuff never needs to be changed out until they actually break.

I used to plan upgrades around the generations of hardware. When brand-spanking new technology comes out, its usually pretty buggy, and its best to wait until they've squished all the bugs. On that note, i usually upgrade every other generation. From Geforce 2 to Geforce 4 to Geforce 6 and so on.

The Nvidia cards demonstrate this concept the best. The GF1's were revolutionary, but the GF2's were the same technology more refined and ALOT better. Same thing with the GF 3 and GF4, and also with the GF5 and GF6. This pattern may have broken with the GF7, but we won't know until the GF8 comes out, it may use the same technologies and blow the GF7 out of the water.

I also do what most posters have explained, I have 4 working computers atm, and as I upgrade my main one, the parts get handed down the line until they end up in the trash can. My oldest running machine is a downloading machine, AMD Athlon 1000mhz "Thunderbird" with a GF2.
  24. I pretty much rotate round a part or two at a time, which seems to be the norm for enthusiasts. Story told, I end up with a 'new' computer about every 2-3 years.
  25. imo it all depends on your needs and wants...oh ya and your pocket book. that being said I build a new computer every year it seems, dunno why its just a Zen thing I guess....
  26. I usually wait for a trigger of some sort, such as:

1. Something significant croaks and must be replaced. If the replacement is or can be much more capable than what I had, it may prompt me to do a general upgrade.
    2. I get introduced to something beyond the capacity of my current rig, as in when I first saw UT G.O.T.Y. but could only play it at 30 FPS.
    3. New tech comes out that is so far beyond my aging components that I get the itch before #2 can happen. This is likely to happen within four years of any build, although I think I had a 386/25 that lasted for five.

I don't buy the latest and greatest; I also wait for bugs to be squashed. I pass things down a short line of 2-3 machines, getting rid of anything else. Some I give away, some goes into the grabbage after being stripped.
  27. Quote:
    Still have my Pentium 133, was 100 mhz originally, from the early ninetys. When I was in college the calculator was invented. In high school the electric typewriter, not kidding. When I was born Kruschev said He would bury me? What do you think I did? Ducked? Ran Windows 95 on a Packard Bell that had 16 megs of RAM built onto the MB. Tore that up and put together a 133 with a MATROX video card with 4 gigs of RAM on the GPU. (I still have it). Reloaded windows 95 about every two weeks, thats how often it crashed, doing business on the web (BEFORE EBAY WAS AROUND) out of San Fran and taking in 20 g. a week selling antiques. Really old stuff. Anyway. Finally bought a Gateway 450 tower thing with a Pentium 3 with a monster 450 MHZ Pentium processor with 256 megs of RAM. Used that till I went banckrupt dueling with Ebay until they won. Ebay won by the way. That's why you and I are talking, honest to goodnes truth. Eveytime you log on there remember me, one of the one's who lost to them. I can't remember how many computer rigs I have built since I lost my money gambling and fighting ebay. The gambling part was the fun part if your listening. Lets see:

Built 4 or 5 AMD socket 754's which I still have running. An ABIT, AN ASUS, Two MSI. CPU are one AMD 64 Clawhammer, Two AMD 64 2.4's and an AMD 64 3700 2.4. All of those are running right now. So is my AMD Socket A 3200 2.1 dual channel PC3200 dual channel. I have VISTA BETA 2 on there on two hard drives.

Let's see Before all the AMD 64's I bought a Power spec Pentium 4 3.0. Fried the processor in the back bedroom leaving the door closed. No, not that...just some kids playing games in the hot summer, it fried. Went in there and the screen was blue. Permanently. Bought another Pentium 4 3.0 and stuck it in and the hard drive fried. Heard it ticking, but what did I know...sounded like the MoBo to me. Got an Abit IC7 Max 3, the nicst board I had up to that time, but for some reason I tore that out and ended up with a DFI Lanparty 875 chipset. The party was a dud. That is running till this day in the front office of one of the businnesses own. I curse loudest at that thing.

Lets see. Built my AMD 4800 X2 last in January I think. Have added and added to the point I need something more to ply my expertise with. Not computers...women, but that's another story. Anyway...your still listening right? I just built this Pentium 805 D Smitty. First I clocked it 3.0. Walked around the house like I ws on drugs thining about for two days. read a little. Then a few days ago I got it to 3.2. Again, made sure my love life was still in tack (is that how you spell it). Thought about it for a few days and I'll be darned. I clocked it to 3.555.6. It's idleing right now at 44c. The Vcore is at 1.36. So hey, I've just begun.

So to answer your question, I've probably upgraded my computers about about weekend for the past 13 years or so.

What a story. What a long post.
  28. ya I would say that is correct
  29. i just made my new build a few weeks ago, and probably wont be replacing anything, being that its all really good, maybe in a year and a half possibly 2, ill look into getting either a good quad core or conroe processor rig, otherwise im fine for now
    ASUS physix accelerator
    x-fi xtrememusic
  30. Quote:
    I am wondering how often you guys need to make completely new computers. Anyone want to share?

I usually wait until a processor is cheap. For example jan/07 I will most likely purchase an athlon X2, since the prices are going to drop 50% next month....

1993 intel486/33 8/fp/36 cirruslogic MS Dos 6.0
    1994 amd486/dx100 16/fp/36 cirruslogic MS Dos 6.2
    1996 pentium120 32/fp/72 diamond/stealth2001 Windows 95
    1998 pentiumII300 64/sd/168 diamond/FireGL1000pro RedHat6.2-kernel2.0/Win98
    2000 duron600 128/pc/133 diamond/FireGL1000pro RedHat7.0-kernel2.2
    2001 athlon1600 512/ddr/266 shuttle/nvidia/GF2mx400 RedHat7.3-kernel2.4
    2003 athlonXP2500+ 512/ddr/333 shuttle/nvidia/GF2mx400 Fedora-core-4-kernel2.6
    2005 athlon64-3000 1gb/ddr/400 evga/nvidia/GFfx5500 Fedora-core-5-kernel2.6
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Build Systems