Wear and tear, due to overclocking.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
You can't tell how much overclocking will affect the lifespan of the GPU. If the cooling is good, then the GPU shouldn't be worn out a lot faster. This is the kind of thing you can't predict, or expect.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
How much will overclocking a GPU decrease the life of a video card? If it is properly cooled, will it balance out?
If kept to reasonable limits(no volt mods), then it shouldn't shorten the lifespan TOO much. Also, remember that video card technology is advancing faster than CPU technology, so what's a fairly good card now, will likely be "extremely" obsolete in 5 years time. This is the same argument brought forward for CPU overclocking, but GPU's take it a small step further. In other words, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it. :wink:

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
How much will overclocking a GPU decrease the life of a video card? If it is properly cooled, will it balance out?
If kept to reasonable limits(no volt mods), then it shouldn't shorten the lifespan TOO much. Also, remember that video card technology is advancing faster than CPU technology, so what's a fairly good card now, will likely be "extremely" obsolete in 5 years time. This is the same argument brought forward for CPU overclocking, but GPU's take it a small step further. In other words, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it. :wink:

Awesome thanks, I am new to overclocking just thought I might inquire.