dragging a window to new location on the monitor

Iapparently messed up something in my settings - just for
the last day or two, when i click on a window to move it
to another location, a little frame-like box moves first
then the rest of the windows contents catches up.. it's
like a delayed action. How can I make everything move at
once?

thanks for help for what is probably a simple setting
change - Im stumped
Pat
14 answers Last reply
More about dragging window location monitor

    right click My Computer, select
    Properties/advanced/performance settings button, the setting
    you want is in there.

    "Pat Singer" <singer@ev1.net> wrote in message
    | Iapparently messed up something in my settings - just for
    | the last day or two, when i click on a window to move it
    | to another location, a little frame-like box moves first
    | then the rest of the windows contents catches up.. it's
    | like a delayed action. How can I make everything move at
    | once?
    |
    | thanks for help for what is probably a simple setting
    | change - Im stumped
    | Pat

    "Pat Singer" <singer@ev1.net> wrote in message
    | Iapparently messed up something in my settings - just for
    | the last day or two, when i click on a window to move it
    | to another location, a little frame-like box moves first
    | then the rest of the windows contents catches up.. it's
    | like a delayed action. How can I make everything move at
    | once?
    |
    | thanks for help for what is probably a simple setting
    | change - Im stumped
    | Pat

    Open System Properties (right click "My Computer" and choose Properties or
    open "System" in Control Panel.)

    Go to the Advanced tab. Click on Performance. Place a check mark in the item
    "Show window contents while dragging." Click OK.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    I also have a problem with this. My problem is that I have turned "Show
    window contents while dragging" on, but everytime I restart its off again. I
    have checked the registry key

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\

    The value for DragFullWindows is still 1, Windows just chooses to ignore that,

    Anyone who can help? This is really annoying.

    "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

    > "Pat Singer" <singer@ev1.net> wrote in message
    > | Iapparently messed up something in my settings - just for
    > | the last day or two, when i click on a window to move it
    > | to another location, a little frame-like box moves first
    > | then the rest of the windows contents catches up.. it's
    > | like a delayed action. How can I make everything move at
    > | once?
    > |
    > | thanks for help for what is probably a simple setting
    > | change - Im stumped
    > | Pat
    >
    > Open System Properties (right click "My Computer" and choose Properties or
    > open "System" in Control Panel.)
    >
    > Go to the Advanced tab. Click on Performance. Place a check mark in the item
    > "Show window contents while dragging." Click OK.

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Re: show window contents while dragging - Software - Windows XP - Dell
    Community Forum:
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=104214

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Attached is a small program that reactivates FullWindow. Put it in
    > Startup.
    > Dell Disables then this program enables.

    OP is using the Web Interface and I'm pretty sure it blocks EXE files.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Thanks David. I did save one of your news messages, did not post because
    this is unavailable in the server currently.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Re: show window contents while dragging - Software - Windows XP - Dell
    > Community Forum:
    > http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=104214
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "sykopat" <sykopat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I also have a problem with this. My problem is that I have turned "Show
    >> window contents while dragging" on, but everytime I restart its off
    >> again.
    >> have checked the registry key
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
    >>
    >> The value for DragFullWindows is still 1, Windows just chooses to ignore
    >> that,
    >>
    >> Anyone who can help? This is really annoying.
    >>
    >> "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Pat Singer" <singer@ev1.net> wrote in message

    >>> Open System Properties (right click "My Computer" and choose Properties
    >>> or
    >>> open "System" in Control Panel.)
    >>>
    >>> Go to the Advanced tab. Click on Performance. Place a check mark in the
    >>> item
    >>> "Show window contents while dragging." Click OK.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    >>> I was just trying to help.
    >>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    >>> advice herein.
    >>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    >>> Your mileage may vary.
    >>> See store for details. :)
    >>>
    >>> Remove shoes to E-mail.

    is my last post.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:uQIwZ$EKFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks David. I did save one of your news messages, did not post because
    > this is unavailable in the server currently.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Attached is a small program that reactivates FullWindow. Put it in Startup.
    > Dell Disables then this program enables.

    >> Re: show window contents while dragging - Software - Windows XP - Dell
    >> Community Forum:
    >> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=104214
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "sykopat" <sykopat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I also have a problem with this. My problem is that I have turned "Show
    >>> window contents while dragging" on, but everytime I restart its off
    >>> again.
    >>> have checked the registry key
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
    >>>
    >>> The value for DragFullWindows is still 1, Windows just chooses to ignore
    >>> that,
    >>>
    >>> Anyone who can help? This is really annoying.

    Why don't you put it up on your site for the dellians.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:uQIwZ$EKFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks David. I did save one of your news messages, did not post because
    > this is unavailable in the server currently.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Attached is a small program that reactivates FullWindow. Put it in Startup.
    > Dell Disables then this program enables.

    >> Re: show window contents while dragging - Software - Windows XP - Dell
    >> Community Forum:
    >> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=104214
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "sykopat" <sykopat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I also have a problem with this. My problem is that I have turned "Show
    >>> window contents while dragging" on, but everytime I restart its off
    >>> again.
    >>> have checked the registry key
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
    >>>
    >>> The value for DragFullWindows is still 1, Windows just chooses to ignore
    >>> that,
    >>>
    >>> Anyone who can help? This is really annoying.

    Thanks. Will upload it with the instructions.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Why don't you put it up on your site for the dellians.

    > Thanks David. I did save one of your news messages, did not post because
    > this is unavailable in the server currently.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Attached is a small program that reactivates FullWindow. Put it in
    > Startup.
    > Dell Disables then this program enables.

    >> Re: show window contents while dragging - Software - Windows XP - Dell
    >> Community Forum:
    >> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=104214
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "sykopat" <sykopat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I also have a problem with this. My problem is that I have turned "Show
    >>> window contents while dragging" on, but everytime I restart its off
    >>> again.
    >>> have checked the registry key
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
    >>>
    >>> The value for DragFullWindows is still 1, Windows just chooses to ignore
    >>> that,
    >>>
    >>> Anyone who can help? This is really annoying.

    I don't have a Dell or any Dell programs. I've built this computer myself.
    Any other programs known to cause this behavior? As far as I know I havn't
    installed any programs I didn't have on my old computer, and it didn't have
    this problem. Except the hardware drivers and the programs that came with it.
    But still, that program may fix it. Let me know when and where I can get it.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Thanks. Will upload it with the instructions.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Why don't you put it up on your site for the dellians.

    > > Thanks David. I did save one of your news messages, did not post because
    > > this is unavailable in the server currently.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >

    > > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > > Attached is a small program that reactivates FullWindow. Put it in
    > > Startup.
    > > Dell Disables then this program enables.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Re: show window contents while dragging - Software - Windows XP - Dell
    > >> Community Forum:
    > >> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=104214
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "sykopat" <sykopat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> Let me know when and where I can get it.

    If you can configure OE, you should be able to access the file (see David
    Candy's post). Or, download a copy from:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dragfullwindows.exe. If you have SP2, and if
    you're saving it to NTFS partition, right-click the downloaded file and
    click "Unblock" and click OK. Else, ignore that step.

    --

    >I don't have a Dell or any Dell programs. I've built this computer myself.
    > Any other programs known to cause this behavior? As far as I know I havn't
    > installed any programs I didn't have on my old computer, and it didn't
    > have
    > this problem. Except the hardware drivers and the programs that came with
    > it.
    > But still, that program may fix it. Let me know when and where I can get
    > it.
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. Will upload it with the instructions.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Why don't you put it up on your site for the dellians.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks David. I did save one of your news messages, did not post
    >> > because
    >> > this is unavailable in the server currently.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP Shell/User
    >> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >> >

    >> > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> > Attached is a small program that reactivates FullWindow. Put it in
    >> > Startup.
    >> > Dell Disables then this program enables.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

    I tried using the news message, but OE told me that the message didn't exist
    anymore. However I downloaded it from the link you provided, unblocked it,
    and it works great. Thanks for your help. :)

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > >> Let me know when and where I can get it.
    >
    > If you can configure OE, you should be able to access the file (see David
    > Candy's post). Or, download a copy from:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dragfullwindows.exe. If you have SP2, and if
    > you're saving it to NTFS partition, right-click the downloaded file and
    > click "Unblock" and click OK. Else, ignore that step.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "sykopat" <sykopat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I don't have a Dell or any Dell programs. I've built this computer myself.
    > > Any other programs known to cause this behavior? As far as I know I havn't
    > > installed any programs I didn't have on my old computer, and it didn't
    > > have
    > > this problem. Except the hardware drivers and the programs that came with
    > > it.
    > > But still, that program may fix it. Let me know when and where I can get
    > > it.
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thanks. Will upload it with the instructions.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > >> Why don't you put it up on your site for the dellians.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

    Hi sykopat,
    Thank David who actually created the util :)

    --

    >I tried using the news message, but OE told me that the message didn't
    >exist
    > anymore. However I downloaded it from the link you provided, unblocked it,
    > and it works great. Thanks for your help. :)

    >> If you can configure OE, you should be able to access the file (see David
    >> Candy's post). Or, download a copy from:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dragfullwindows.exe. If you have SP2, and if
    >> you're saving it to NTFS partition, right-click the downloaded file and
    >> click "Unblock" and click OK. Else, ignore that step.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "sykopat" <sykopat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I don't have a Dell or any Dell programs. I've built this computer
    >> >myself.
    >> > Any other programs known to cause this behavior? As far as I know I
    >> > havn't
    >> > installed any programs I didn't have on my old computer, and it didn't
    >> > have
    >> > this problem. Except the hardware drivers and the programs that came
    >> > with
    >> > it.
    >> > But still, that program may fix it. Let me know when and where I can
    >> > get
    >> > it.

    Of course, thank you David, great program :)
    It was only a minor annoyance, but still great to be rid of it.

Monitors Microsoft Windows XP