WMI Problem

I have a problem to turn on my firewall, XP system.
With the error WMI may be corrupt.
I have read the article Q319101 & in the resolution No5, I do not have the
information on Windows Management Instrumentation, so I can not 'stop' it.
I have tried to reload XP & all was fine, except this problem.
I am also having problems trying to load SP2, but that is another issue.
Please advise how I can get WMI working.

Thaks

Marty
3 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
    Scroll down to and double click: Windows Management Instrumentation |
    Click the Stop button | After WMI stops click OK | Close Services and follow
    the rest of the instructions

    Error Message: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Might Be Corrupted
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];319101

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:32A8B1EA-FF5D-4AE4-B220-D1501C713C8C@microsoft.com,
    Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have a problem to turn on my firewall, XP system.
    > With the error WMI may be corrupt.
    > I have read the article Q319101 & in the resolution No5, I do not
    > have the information on Windows Management Instrumentation, so I can
    > not 'stop' it. I have tried to reload XP & all was fine, except this
    > problem.
    > I am also having problems trying to load SP2, but that is another
    > issue. Please advise how I can get WMI working.
    >
    > Thaks
    >
    > Marty

    Thanks Wes for the info, but I do have Windows Management Instrumentation
    listed there, so I can not turn it off. I have re-installed (up-dated) XP
    but have the same problem.
    How can I activate this Windows Management Instrumentation feature.

    Regards

    Marty

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
    > Scroll down to and double click: Windows Management Instrumentation |
    > Click the Stop button | After WMI stops click OK | Close Services and follow
    > the rest of the instructions
    >
    > Error Message: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Might Be Corrupted
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];319101
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:32A8B1EA-FF5D-4AE4-B220-D1501C713C8C@microsoft.com,
    > Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I have a problem to turn on my firewall, XP system.
    > > With the error WMI may be corrupt.
    > > I have read the article Q319101 & in the resolution No5, I do not
    > > have the information on Windows Management Instrumentation, so I can
    > > not 'stop' it. I have tried to reload XP & all was fine, except this
    > > problem.
    > > I am also having problems trying to load SP2, but that is another
    > > issue. Please advise how I can get WMI working.
    > >
    > > Thaks
    > >
    > > Marty

    To stop winmgmt...
    Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
    When a command prompt pops up |
    Type: winmgmt /kill
    Hit Enter

    winmgmt.exe = Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
    Runs under SVCHOST.EXE.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\winmgmt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\winmgmt.exe

    To see if WMI is running, if you have XP Pro...

    Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
    When a command prompt pops up |
    Type: tasklist /svc
    Hit Enter
    Under one of the svchost.exe you should see winmgmt

    To see if WMI is running, works with Home and Pro...
    Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
    When a command prompt pops up |
    Type: net start
    Hit Enter

    Do you see Windows Management Instrumentation listed??

    Courtesy of Kelly T. @ http://www.kellys-korner.com/
    [[Windows Management Instrumentation - WinMgmt could not initialize the core
    parts
    Go to Start/Run/CMD and then run each of these hitting enter after each:

    winmgmt /clearadap
    winmgmt /kill
    winmgmt /unregserver
    winmgmt /regserver
    winmgmt /resyncperf

    This may or may not repair the repository but will re-install wmi into the
    registry.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:AF4A7EA6-625E-401F-A132-21B8AF76D8D2@microsoft.com,
    Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks Wes for the info, but I do have Windows Management
    > Instrumentation listed there, so I can not turn it off. I have
    > re-installed (up-dated) XP but have the same problem.
    > How can I activate this Windows Management Instrumentation feature.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Marty
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
    >> Scroll down to and double click: Windows Management Instrumentation
    >> | Click the Stop button | After WMI stops click OK | Close Services
    >> and follow the rest of the instructions
    >>
    >> Error Message: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Might Be
    >> Corrupted
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];319101
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:32A8B1EA-FF5D-4AE4-B220-D1501C713C8C@microsoft.com,
    >> Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I have a problem to turn on my firewall, XP system.
    >>> With the error WMI may be corrupt.
    >>> I have read the article Q319101 & in the resolution No5, I do not
    >>> have the information on Windows Management Instrumentation, so I can
    >>> not 'stop' it. I have tried to reload XP & all was fine, except this
    >>> problem.
    >>> I am also having problems trying to load SP2, but that is another
    >>> issue. Please advise how I can get WMI working.
    >>>
    >>> Thaks
    >>>
    >>> Marty

Microsoft Windows Management Windows XP