Marty

I have a problem to turn on my firewall, XP system.
With the error WMI may be corrupt.
I have read the article Q319101 & in the resolution No5, I do not have the
information on Windows Management Instrumentation, so I can not 'stop' it.
I have tried to reload XP & all was fine, except this problem.
I am also having problems trying to load SP2, but that is another issue.
Please advise how I can get WMI working.

Thaks

Marty

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
Scroll down to and double click: Windows Management Instrumentation |
Click the Stop button | After WMI stops click OK | Close Services and follow
the rest of the instructions

Error Message: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Might Be Corrupted
;319101]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];319101

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:32A8B1EA-FF5D-4AE4-B220-D1501C713C8C@microsoft.com,
Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have a problem to turn on my firewall, XP system.
> With the error WMI may be corrupt.
> I have read the article Q319101 & in the resolution No5, I do not
> have the information on Windows Management Instrumentation, so I can
> not 'stop' it. I have tried to reload XP & all was fine, except this
> problem.
> I am also having problems trying to load SP2, but that is another
> issue. Please advise how I can get WMI working.
>
> Thaks
>
> Marty

Marty

Thanks Wes for the info, but I do have Windows Management Instrumentation
listed there, so I can not turn it off. I have re-installed (up-dated) XP
but have the same problem.
How can I activate this Windows Management Instrumentation feature.

Regards

Marty

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
> Scroll down to and double click: Windows Management Instrumentation |
> Click the Stop button | After WMI stops click OK | Close Services and follow
> the rest of the instructions
>
> Error Message: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Might Be Corrupted
> ;319101]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];319101
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:32A8B1EA-FF5D-4AE4-B220-D1501C713C8C@microsoft.com,
> Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I have a problem to turn on my firewall, XP system.
> > With the error WMI may be corrupt.
> > I have read the article Q319101 & in the resolution No5, I do not
> > have the information on Windows Management Instrumentation, so I can
> > not 'stop' it. I have tried to reload XP & all was fine, except this
> > problem.
> > I am also having problems trying to load SP2, but that is another
> > issue. Please advise how I can get WMI working.
> >
> > Thaks
> >
> > Marty

To stop winmgmt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
When a command prompt pops up |
Type: winmgmt /kill
Hit Enter

winmgmt.exe = Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
Runs under SVCHOST.EXE.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\winmgmt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\winmgmt.exe

To see if WMI is running, if you have XP Pro...

Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
When a command prompt pops up |
Type: tasklist /svc
Hit Enter
Under one of the svchost.exe you should see winmgmt

To see if WMI is running, works with Home and Pro...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
When a command prompt pops up |
Type: net start
Hit Enter

Do you see Windows Management Instrumentation listed??

Courtesy of Kelly T. @ http://www.kellys-korner.com/
[[Windows Management Instrumentation - WinMgmt could not initialize the core
parts
Go to Start/Run/CMD and then run each of these hitting enter after each:

winmgmt /clearadap
winmgmt /kill
winmgmt /unregserver
winmgmt /regserver
winmgmt /resyncperf

This may or may not repair the repository but will re-install wmi into the
registry.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes