Acer Stresses Importance of Touch Through Win 8 Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmung

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Too bad they haven't released a good laptop with touch yet not everyone wants a dam ultra book thin and light translates to me as under powered and overpriced I don't mind paying 1500+ for a laptop but i will not pay more than 500 for something with a low voltage cpu and integrated graphics.

G

I just got an Acer notebook for $599. I returned the HP I bought as I found the touch pad horrible. The Acer is infinitely better and my primary reason for purchasing it. As far as integrated graphics go, I was very skeptical about this as well being that I have a high end desktop. Turns out the HD 4000 is quite capable. Guildwars 2 runs around 40fps and even Xcom runs respectably. Not turned all the way up but, I can game on the go if needed (rarely).

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
As of now, a lot of software for tablets weren't exactly programmed for keyboard usage. A lot of software for laptops and desktops weren't exactly programmed for touch-screen usage either.

[citation][nom]Lenogen[/nom]I just got an Acer notebook for $599. I returned the HP I bought as I found the touch pad horrible. The Acer is infinitely better and my primary reason for purchasing it. As far as integrated graphics go, I was very skeptical about this as well being that I have a high end desktop. Turns out the HD 4000 is quite capable. Guildwars 2 runs around 40fps and even Xcom runs respectably. Not turned all the way up but, I can game on the go if needed (rarely).[/citation]
Maybe they improved the touchpad hardware in the last year, but back a couple years, the problems with their touchpad was all over the internet.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]"“Windows 8 is a great opportunity for us" ... I thought that Acer wasn't happy with Windows 8?[/citation]

They weren't happy with Microsoft selling Surface, they're otherwise fine with everything that may create demand for new products.

As for touch on non-handhelds, it's a fad they're trying to force ... like 3D.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]They weren't happy with Microsoft selling Surface, they're otherwise fine with everything that may create demand for new products.As for touch on non-handhelds, it's a fad they're trying to force ... like 3D.[/citation]
I don't see it as a fad, but I don't ever see us completely doing away with the mouse and keyboard, and for a while, I see touch on the desktop as a limited use item.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I played with an Asus VivoBook 202E at the local computer shop. Despite it's very modest Pentium 987 Proc (basically an ULV SB with a whole bunch of stuff turned off) Win 8 was very snappy on it and the touch screen worked really nicely with Win 8. If I wasn't a broke student I've have bought it on the spot.

halcyon

Splendid
I don't see the benefit of touch on desktop PCs. I guess I'm old fashioned. I certainly don't see the benefit of Windows 8. Some say its faster than Windows 7. I hadn't realized Windows 7 needed improving in that area.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Seriously, so many people with oily fingers... Anyway, I don't think touchscreens are a simple fad. They are simpler and quicker than a mouse. However, there are some things a mouse is just better for, so I doubt you will ever see mice go anywhere. Touchscreen typing is terrible, so I don't see keyboards going anywhere either. I don't think it has to be a one or the other scenario. Having a touchscreen and a mouse and a laptop should be fine. It's just another optional input method. Add voice control and you've got a fourth method. Add something like Kinect and that's input method five. Each has its niche and time or place that it's useful, or even better than one of the others. I think berating one is useless, or hyping one's superiority is simply juvenile. None of these has to interfere with the capability of the other. They can coexist in the same computer environment.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Touch seems very limiting for mobile devices, you just can't do the same stuff as a track-pad or mouse. Stylus's (pens) on the other hand seem purely amazing for mobile productivity, giving you the full precision of a mouse with a tablet. I always wondered if you could use them for CAD/3D modelling, but I just watched a youtube of someone modelling on sketchup with one (Asus EEE slate), very impressive. I'd bet its better than a track pad laptop and more mobile too, totally keen. Pitty Surface Pro is only 10.6", seems a bit small but we'll see.

halcyon

Splendid
I took the risk moving from my iPad to this Transformer Infinity. Say what you want but the iPad works well, is very smooth, and has the most polished apps. iOS does touch right, IMO. Android tablets are getting there but the ecosystem is not as mature as it is for iOS (from the apps standpoint). I think Surface is probably fine but RT lacks the ecosystem so you have to take a big risk in moving there. Are developers going to jump onboard in droves so that the good iOS games and other apps are available. Is it worth a $400-$500 risk?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Lenogen[/nom]I just got an Acer notebook for $599. I returned the HP I bought as I found the touch pad horrible. The Acer is infinitely better and my primary reason for purchasing it. As far as integrated graphics go, I was very skeptical about this as well being that I have a high end desktop. Turns out the HD 4000 is quite capable. Guildwars 2 runs around 40fps and even Xcom runs respectably. Not turned all the way up but, I can game on the go if needed (rarely).[/citation]Technically HP or Acer don't make the touch pads, they just buy the parts from someone else, usually Synaptics or something. Lowest bidder probably wins, and all companies can have a bad batch.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I don't see it as a fad, but I don't ever see us completely doing away with the mouse and keyboard, and for a while, I see touch on the desktop as a limited use item.[/citation]

After Leap and Kinect PC come out, the mouse and keyboard are done. Yeah, you dipshits are raging right now, but think about it. Your buttons on your keyboard are simply coordinates on a flat x-y plane.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]After Leap and Kinect PC come out, the mouse and keyboard are done. Yeah, you dipshits are raging right now, but think about it. Your buttons on your keyboard are simply coordinates on a flat x-y plane.[/citation]
Not quite, you cannot beat accuracy of input from the keyboard (comparing to voice), and keyboard has tactile feedback that neither touchscreen or kinect have.
for mouse, unless you don't have the desk to put the mouse on, using mouse uses least energy to navigate. The physical distance you hand travel is far less than using the touchscreen or kinect.
In some situations, sure, kinect can beat keyboard and mouse.

Thomas Creel

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
This is nice and all but I'm going to wait until this stuff is more main stream. I prefer being late to the "Party" if it means saving a lot of hassle. When touch screen monitors become the norm is when I will get Windows 8 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.