VoIP newbie seeks advice!

Hello,

I've just bought a Sipura SPA 3000 after having a play around with XLite and
being quite happy with VoIP (using 1899.com).

However, when I make a call over VoIP, the person I'm calling can hear me,
but I can't hear them.

From looking around the web, it sounds like this is a common problem when a
hardware VoIP device is behind an NAT (as mine is). However, I haven't
really found a solution in works of one syllable! (I really am very new at
this whole VoIP thing).

My internet connection is via a cable modem (2Mb down, 512Kb up), and the
cable modem is plugged into a Linksys BEFSR41 router. My SPA 3000 is
plugged into one of the ports on this router.

I've heard that a STUN server should be able to get around NAT problems, but
although I've set a STUN server in the SPA config, I still get the same
problem.

My router supports uPnP, which, again, I understand should make things
easier! (I also know very little about uPnP I'm afraid!).

I get the same problem with a couple of different SIPs I've tried.

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I correct in thinking it's a NAT problem?
Is it worth me putting the SPA in the DMZ and see if that works? Otherwise,
do I need to forward any ports to the SPA? (although I thought STUN and/or
uPnP got around this problem!).

Help!

A.
2 answers Last reply
More about voip newbie seeks advice

    "Adam" <adds21@yahoo.com> writes:

    >However, when I make a call over VoIP, the person I'm calling can hear me,
    >but I can't hear them.

    >From looking around the web, it sounds like this is a common problem when a
    >hardware VoIP device is behind an NAT (as mine is). However, I haven't
    >really found a solution in works of one syllable! (I really am very new at
    >this whole VoIP thing).

    I've set "Insert VIA rport" and "Send Resp To Src Port" to "yes" (SIP -> NAT
    Support Parameters). That's gotten it working through NAT for me.

    --kyler

    Adam wrote:

    [snip]

    > I've heard that a STUN server should be able to get around NAT
    > problems, but although I've set a STUN server in the SPA config, I
    > still get the same problem.

    What port have you set for the STUN server..?

    > My router supports uPnP, which, again, I understand should make
    > things easier! (I also know very little about uPnP I'm afraid!).

    Same here, but my router doesn't support it so can't say..!

    > I get the same problem with a couple of different SIPs I've tried.

    SIPs..?

    > Does anyone have any ideas? Am I correct in thinking it's a NAT
    > problem? Is it worth me putting the SPA in the DMZ and see if that
    > works? Otherwise, do I need to forward any ports to the SPA?
    > (although I thought STUN and/or uPnP got around this problem!).

    Yes, try it, definitely. My SPA-2000 seems to require this on Sipgate.
    *In addition* try forwarding ports 5004-5005, 5060-5061, 8000-8019 plus
    whatever port the STUN server wants. Default is 3478 although Sipgate uses
    10000.

    Ivor

vpn VoIP Internet Connection Networking