Best Modem for Linux

G

I am building a new system and want to make it Windows and Linux compatible. I need some advice on what modem to buy. keep in mind that I am a newbie to Linux so I would like the install to be rather simple. How is the USR 2977?

Any help would be appreciated.

Snert

Please do not pee in the Gene Pool!

G

Here's some generic advice...

Make sure you get a hardware modem <b>NOT</b> a winmodem.

I think all ISA modems are hardware, and external modems that connect to your serial port should be ok.

There are PCI hardware modems now, but many are winmodems, so be careful. PCI modems are reported to be a little more difficult to install sometimes.

Check out <A HREF="http://www.linhardware.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?_catid=11" target="_new">LinHardware's modem database</A> for more info.

<i>The early bird gets the worm...
but the second mouse gets the cheese!</i>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Yes I have USR 2977 and it works perfectly fine. Im using Linux-Mandrake distro.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

mentat_void

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2001
QUOTE:
Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]
END QUOTE

Hehe, I like your signature Stick_e_Mouse :)

800 Duron
ASUS A7V-E
128 ram
Geforce2mx
2#20 gig(5400&7200)
Win98se/Mandrake8

Abitols

Distinguished
May 26, 2001
My Lucent Win Modem works perfectly under Linux (red hat 7.1)
You have to download the driver for linux and install it. It's easy! Just a couple of commands.
It's a good and cheap modem.

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The best modem is always an external serial modem. Just make sure any modem you choose is not a Winmodem but if you do choose a Windmodem before doing it go to www.linmodem.org and check what modules are available to get it to work.

Rop

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..