HP LaserJet 5L - inhomogenous printout, light spots

Hi,

I just bought a used LaserJet 5L. It works good, but some areas of the page
ar a bit lighter than others. When printing a grey filled box, the grey
looks inhomogenous with some very light spots. Toner is like new. Any ideas
whats wrong?

Thanks!!!

Markus

Markus Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a used LaserJet 5L. It works good, but some areas of
> the page ar a bit lighter than others. When printing a grey filled
> box, the grey looks inhomogenous with some very light spots. Toner is
> like new. Any ideas whats wrong?
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Markus

Remove the toner cart and *slowly* rock it back and forth a few times
(the motion is stamped on the car). Try it again.

miked

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004

"Markus Schneider" <br2001@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a used LaserJet 5L. It works good, but some areas of the
page
> ar a bit lighter than others. When printing a grey filled box, the grey
> looks inhomogenous with some very light spots. Toner is like new. Any
ideas
> whats wrong?

I bought my LJ5L new 10 years ago and printing has been faultless. Paper
feed is a big problem though, as it will try to stuff lots of pages through
at once if you don't keep the feed roller clean and rough. I use isopropyl
alchohol and an emery board...

Have you tried printing the test page? That produces some large, black
fonts - are they an even black?

I found the authentic HP LJ5L service manual on the internet. It has a very
detailed fault finding guide.

Mike

It can be a number of issues. Sometimes it's a simple as damp or
non-flat paper. However if that's been ruled out, and the pattern of
light areas is repeating every several inches down the sheet, it may be
the cartridge drum is damaged or was exposed to bright light, or just
aged badly from light. heat or chemical exposure.

Also, make sure the toner cartridge has even toner distribution in it.
Top redistribute the toner, rock the cartridge back and forth in several
plains (forward and backward, and left and right) do this gently a few
times before returning the cartridge to the printer.

Art