Sign in with
Your question

Mixing ATi with nVidia? [SLi]

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2006 11:28:28 AM

Is this possible? I have at the moment a 7900GT (see below), can i stick say a X1900 in with it? I read somewhere that this might be possible, but i just wondered if it is or not? Or could i SLi my 7900GT and a 7950? Or could i only do it by buying another 7900?

Thanks in advance

More about : mixing ati nvidia sli

June 21, 2006 12:38:36 PM

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Mixing ATI - NVidia? WTF?
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 21, 2006 12:51:41 PM

Quote:
Is this possible? I have at the moment a 7900GT (see below), can i stick say a X1900 in with it? I read somewhere that this might be possible, but i just wondered if it is or not? Or could i SLi my 7900GT and a 7950? Or could i only do it by buying another 7900?

ATi+nV in AFR/SFR not possible.

ATi+nV in multi card multi monitor roll quite easy.

2 ATi cards running in Xfire mode on an SLi Mobo possible but difficult.

2nV cards running in SLi mode on an Xfire board, probably technically possible, but I haven't seen it yet (ie probably more difficult than Xfire on SLi).

GF7900GT+GF7950GX2 not currently possible in SLi mode, never will be true SLi, even if hacked would have to act in shared not balanced mode like the GF7900GX2 initially did seeing 3 cards instead of all 4.

If you want to increase your graphic power, best to buy another similar card, unless you play a game that tuely favours ATi enough to warrant selling your card and getting 1 or 2 of those. IF your MoBo is SLi and you don't know about running Xfire on SLi, then stick with SLi, you're bound to add headaches otherwise, not even for the advanced n0Ob.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 21, 2006 12:57:23 PM

Quote:
no i don't think that is possible. for one ati don't have the bridge connnections that nvidia cards have. i also doubt they could communicate through the pcie bus effectively. i think you are getting confused with doing crossfire on a SLI mobo. that is AFAIK possible with a few modifications.

The Quad GX2 (ie 2 in SLi) uses the PCIe lanes to communicate already, and bridgeless SLi does the same thing, but it does reduce performance significantly.

Quote:
you can only use sli with 2 cards from the same series. they can be from different manufacturesrs but must be the same model.

Technically the core would be the same model (aren't they 2 GTs on a board?), however you're right the amount of hacking/tweaking and moding required to get it to work makes it nigh on impossible IMO.
June 21, 2006 2:36:41 PM

Thanks for clearing this up :) 
I sort of knew that it might not be viable and i cannot remember where i read that it might be..?
Just sounded, if it was possible, like a funky thing to try ;) 
!