Sign in with
Your question

6 Month Old System Won't Boot - Suspect PSU

Last response: in Components
June 21, 2006 12:43:45 PM

Here is a long one... 8O

The rig I built some 6 months ago was my 3rd and has worked pretty good, and has been used pretty heavily, sometimes staying on for 2-3 days at a time. Only had odd crash to desktop and disconnects with battlefield 2 once in a while.

About 2-3 weeks ago however I noticed a high pitched but low amplitude buzz type of sound. I figured it was the stock exhaust fan that came with my antec case but that normally would quiet up once i changed the exhaust fan speed from medium to low. This morning, after my BF2 game abruptly crashed to desktop, I decided to shut it down and open up the case and try to pin point the buzzing. All i did was blow some dust out (yes blow, my compressed air can was empty). I then booted the system with case open and managed to pin point the already mentioned high pitched buzz to the power supply unit (500w stock antec). I then turned off again and disconnected all power cables and blew at the PSU fans a little bit and plugged everything back in. Something i've done, however minor, must have fudged up my rig because it won't boot anymore.

One weird note: when my PSU is on (I/O) my motherboard's green LED lights up, however it seems pressing the case's power button for whatever reason won't trigger a boot.

Right now I think it's probably the PSU, but it might be the mobo that's the problem.

I plan on taking the PSU out and checking it on another system to see if it really is the problem.

Can anyone suggest any further steps I can take before looking through my receipts to see if my rig is still under warranty?

Finally here are my system specs

Antec TX 1050B case w/ 500w Antec PSU and 80mm exhaust fan
Asus A8N-SLI (just the basic model)
Athlon 64 2800+ (2.2ghz i think?)
2x512mb OCZ
1x512mb Kingmax
BFG GForce 6600 GT OC PCI-E
SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum
250gb 7200rpm maxtor
DVD-RW Sony

I think that's all.

Any help would be appreciated,

- Jim Goose

EDIT: I just swapped the 500 watt antec PSU with a working 350 watt enermax, the green LED on the motherboard still lights up but the power button does nothing! does the green LED indicate anything other than the fact that PSU power is reaching the mobo?

EDIT #2: I had misplaced the PWR SW connectors on the mobo and sorted them out according to the mobo manual and now the 350 enermax will power up my system. Oddly enough, my antec 500 watt PSU powered up a different system just now. Why is not working for one system but working for another :x :x :x
June 21, 2006 1:31:37 PM

Did you try the 500 back in the original machine after you sorted out the wires?
June 21, 2006 2:00:51 PM

yes i did, forgot to mention that. once in a while the system would boot for about a milisecond, the CPU fan would start to spin, the blue LED on my video card would light up but then it would all die. I suspect whatever was making that buzzing sound was a sign of what was to come for the SP-500 PSU.

i've had problems with crappy PSUs before but those were generic ones, i thought i picked a winner with the antec case and psu bundle, but i suppose i'm going to get enermax from now since this 350 is doing the job the 500 crapped out on :p 

no worries, i found a 3 year warranty slip for the psu and have e-mailed antec.

just out of curiosity, what would you guys recommend to replace my Antec Smart Power 500 with? I'd like to throw in another PCI-E card and SLI my rig, and maybe another hard drive, i also have a helluva lot of USB ports being used so it would need to be powerful. I took a glance and enermax and thermaltake seem to have a very very big variety O_O
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2006 2:29:36 PM

Quote:

just out of curiosity, what would you guys recommend to replace my Antec Smart Power 500 with? I'd like to throw in another PCI-E card and SLI my rig, and maybe another hard drive, i also have a helluva lot of USB ports being used so it would need to be powerful. I took a glance and enermax and thermaltake seem to have a very very big variety O_O

Actually, another 500w PSU (or so) should be more than enough to power your system. This is a link to one of my posts about a 500w PSU. Note that the system hypethetical system is an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ and has two 7900GTX for a SLI setup.

USB devices draws very little power from the USB ports. Off hand I don't know how many milli-amps the USB port provides, nor which rail (3.3v, 5v, 12v) the power is drawn from. USB devices that draws a lot of power, like an external hard drive, typically comes with it's own powerbrick.

BTW, Thermaltake makes average PSU in my opinion.
June 21, 2006 4:13:43 PM

Cool, I just took a look. I've never owned a Seasonic product but I'm willing to give em a chance.

And it's good to know all my memory sticks and other usb gadgets won't be too demanding on this temporary PSU.

8)
June 24, 2006 2:36:44 PM

I just had an almost indetical problem to you (except my computer was new, and the PSU wasn't making a funny noise).

It wouldn't boot, but every now and again the green light came on and the fans started up, then it would die.

I figured it was the motherboard, as my PSU was working fine in another system.
June 24, 2006 3:45:25 PM

i dont think its the PSU
June 24, 2006 3:48:21 PM

>>EDIT #2: I had misplaced the PWR SW connectors on the mobo and sorted them out according to the mobo manual and now the 350 enermax will power up my system. Oddly enough, my antec 500 watt PSU powered up a different system just now. Why is not working for one system but working for another <<

I had a similar problem too. It was the power on switch on my case. It had come loose from the back where it plugged into the case. Snapped it back in tightly and everything was go.
June 24, 2006 3:48:40 PM

USB devices draw power from the 5V rail, so watch out for it if you have many USB devices, like mouse, keyboard, etc etc...
June 24, 2006 4:24:01 PM

if it's not the PSU, how come my 350 watt enermax PSU will power up the system but my 500 watt won't do anything more than light up the green LED on the mobo?

i'm going to give it another try
June 24, 2006 7:47:54 PM

Quote:
if it's not the PSU, how come my 350 watt enermax PSU will power up the system but my 500 watt won't do anything more than light up the green LED on the mobo?

>>i'm going to give it another try<<

So, what's the deal? If it involves any merit on your part, count me out.
June 24, 2006 9:17:43 PM

Quote:

because that PSu is pretty solid thats why.
June 24, 2006 9:37:57 PM

Quote:

>>i'm going to give it another try<<

So, what's the deal? If it involves any merit on your part, count me out.

Well I did give it another shot and still no go. Mobo LED lights up but that's all. Luckily antec has a nice 3 year warranty and i just got a RMA # :lol: 

i suspect whatever was behind the high pitched buzz emitting from the PSU was the cause
June 24, 2006 10:02:01 PM

Well that's great. I was going to suggest getting a cheap power supply tester, but if Antec is going to honor their warranty and send out a new working PSU, that's great. I sent in an Enermax PSU I was having trouble with> Enermax sent me a new one and I still have it in the garage as my SLI backup. I have an Antec 550 2.0 SI I bought and am still using waiting for the Enermax RMA. I think I have the Antec close to maxed out wattage wise. That being with a AMD 4800 X2 and two 7600 GT video cards. The Enermax in the garage is a 535 dual 12v Rail. If I max out my Antec I look for my voltages to fluctuate. Pretty solid right now voltage wise. The AMD X2 series are poor O'cer's. Even with a nice PSU their Dual Cores don't want to get off their arse an run. Lazy, but pwerful. Like a woman you just don't need.
June 24, 2006 10:19:01 PM

Do you use a utility program to measure voltages? I know I can check them in my BIOS, but not sure how to do it while my PC is under heavy load say running a game like Battlefield 2

thanks
June 24, 2006 10:28:40 PM

No, that I have. I just watch my voltages and see if they fluctuate. My Antec 550 is real stable that way. Depends on how good your MB is too. I want to buy that ASUS K8N32 with the 8 phase voltage regulator built in.
June 24, 2006 10:52:02 PM

Use Sandra. Set up environment monitoring, play Battlefield, and then quit, and you can see how your power fluctuated over the last, I think, half hour or so.
!